03-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Launch Control Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just got my car back from the 1,200 mile service and was curious about whether or not Launch Control would now be activiated. Still not enough miles to actually try it out in my opinion, but wanted to see if the flag symbol would come up none the less.

So after reading the manual and trying a couple of times I don't seem to get the flag. How long do you have to hold the shift lever forward for the symbol to appear? And can I program M2 to have the basic parameters done already (S3 and MDM off), then brake and hold the lever forward?

Oh and one other thing....this car is a blast to drive. The horsepower and torque are amazing. Ive had 4 BMW's in the span of 20 years and this one by far is putting the biggest grin on my face.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
I just got my car back from the 1,200 mile service and was curious about whether or not Launch Control would now be activiated. Still not enough miles to actually try it out in my opinion, but wanted to see if the flag symbol would come up none the less.

So after reading the manual and trying a couple of times I don't seem to get the flag. How long do you have to hold the shift lever forward for the symbol to appear? And can I program M2 to have the basic parameters done already (S3 and MDM off), then brake and hold the lever forward?

Oh and one other thing....this car is a blast to drive. The horsepower and torque are amazing. Ive had 4 BMW's in the span of 20 years and this one by far is putting the biggest grin on my face.

Thanks
I have had this same problem myself but Ive now figured out how to do it...Basically follow exactly whats in the manual but the launch control is only activated after everything up to temp which according to the manual is 6 miles of continuous driving although, sometimes i think more..

in addition, once you use it...There is a certain amount of time/mileage before it can be used again
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
I have had this same problem myself but Ive now figured out how to do it...Basically follow exactly whats in the manual but the launch control is only activated after everything up to temp which according to the manual is 6 miles of continuous driving although, sometimes i think more..

in addition, once you use it...There is a certain amount of time/mileage before it can be used again
Shame on BMW to make it that restricted and that hard!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Once you try it a time or two, you'll never use it again. Useless and complicated feature. Faster to launch manually and feather throttle in MDM or DSC off
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yep, what Hoopumpers said. Waste of time unless you want to do it for shits and giggles.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
John Doe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Just got back from 2 days at M School and I asked a couple of instructors and they said they never use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Just got back from 2 days at M School and I asked a couple of instructors and they said they never use it.
SURE
Because it is considered not there by most if us anyway!!
Happy BMW?!!!!!
Appreciate 0