11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

M1 and M2 buttons

Hi everyone

So I am still breaking in the car and I am at about 330 miles so when I get up closer to 1000-1200 I will start to press all my buttons

Currently they are generically set to all the same thing, comfort/comfort/efficient.

I am just checking to see what the standard setting is for m1 and m2 so I am sure to have 2 levels of crazy.

I know they are individual settings based on ones likes but I wanted to see what most people are using, what are there like 12+ combinations or more? Hence my question.

What are you set at for each?? I am a 6MT but I don't think that matters (I am not familiar with any extra DCT settings and I really don't care to be either)

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

everything on sport...
      11-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Obviously the settings for M1 and M2 are personal preference but I use mine as follows.

When I start the car (neither M1 nor M2 selected) I have everything in Comfort/Efficient mode and least aggressive shift modes.

I use M1 for a "slight bump" in performance - Sport Steering, Sport Throttle, Comfort Suspension, D2 shifts, DSC normal, no change in the HUD.

I use M2 for more aggressive Driving - Sport + Steering, Sport + Throttle, Sport Suspension, D3 Shift mode, DSC normal, M HUD mode.

I don't use Sport + Suspension Mode street driving and I don't use MDM or DSC OFF for typical street driving. If there are rare circumstances where I want MDM or Sport + suspension modes I can always reach down and press the button. Also, it is very easy to switch transmission modes by just hitting the steering wheel paddles to take it from D to M (S). Of course, your mileage may vary....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst
Obviously the settings for M1 and M2 are personal preference but I use mine as follows.

When I start the car (neither M1 nor M2 selected) I have everything in Comfort/Efficient mode and least aggressive shift modes.

I use M1 for a "slight bump" in performance - Sport Steering, Sport Throttle, Comfort Suspension, D2 shifts, DSC normal, no change in the HUD.

I use M2 for more aggressive Driving - Sport + Steering, Sport + Throttle, Sport Suspension, D3 Shift mode, DSC normal, M HUD mode.

I don't use Sport + Suspension Mode street driving and I don't use MDM or DSC OFF for typical street driving. If there are rare circumstances where I want MDM or Sport + suspension modes I can always reach down and press the button. Also, it is very easy to switch transmission modes by just hitting the steering wheel paddles to take it from D to M (S). Of course, your mileage may vary....
Wow, nice and thorough ! Thx

Any one else's reasoning is very appreciated

Thx again
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Wow, nice and thorough ! Thx

Any one else's reasoning is very appreciated

Thx again
My personal settings I drive in sport, sport, sport, and level 3. I don't use the car as a commuter so I like to enjoy some of the power. I can drive the car down long GA country roads which permit some fun driving. I rarely use comfort anything, and I don't see too much traffic. When I have access to long unimpeded driving I switch M mode full power all in with MDM, and go at it for awhile. I have the benefit of living 20 miles south of Atlanta. My commuter is my convertible 650 which now seems terribly slow ugh! Enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post

My settings are very similiar :

M1: Sport throttle, sport steering, comfort suspension ,DSC On, D2
M2: Sport plus throttle, sport plus steering, sport suspension, DSC Off, S3

M2 is always ready for Launch Control. For those who complain how hard it is to engage, set M2 like above and practice a few times. Incredible...

Also, when the M5 is turned on, all settings default to comfort, high efficiency settings for fuel mileage purposes. I typically keep it there until the car is warmed up - however I will just change the shift setting to D2. I don't care for D1 in any setting. D2 seems to be the right mix of engagement for me
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

M1- sport plus, sport plus, sport plus, dsc on S3.
M2- sport plus, sport plus, sport plus, MDM, S3.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Right now they are:

M1: Sport plus/Sport/Sport/S3, DSC ON, M HUD
M2: Sport plus/Sport Plus/Sport/S3, MDM, M HUD

Thinking of moving M1 to a slightly more aggressive daily driver setting, as posted above and see how that goes:

Sport plus/Sport Plus/Comfort/D2, DSC ON, NC to HUD
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo
Right now they are:

M1: Sport plus/Sport/Sport/S3, DSC ON, M HUD
M2: Sport plus/Sport Plus/Sport/S3, MDM, M HUD
This
      11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
all,
how do you change the default settings when you start the car?

we have some big speed bumps where I am and I need to put suspension on sport to stop it swaying.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

For me:

M1: sport suspension, comfort steering, sport throttle, MDM
M2: sport plus suspension, comfort steering, sport plus throttle, MDM

For mostly street driving I only go to MDM, rather than DSC off, to help with the intervention of the traction control. I also don't like the artificial weighting on the steering which is why I leave it in comfort steering. M1 is partial attack mode, and M2 is full attack mode.
Appreciate 0