M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #45
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Thank you both for the responses. I have to say I was not aware of the cleaning considerations. While I do hand wash my cars or at least endeavor to hand wash there are times I take it through a high quality brushless car wash, particularly in the winter. I always tell them no acid on the wheels and so its just soap, water, and a light brushing with the cloth.

Sounds like even that is not ideal for the CCBs. Maybe we are talking about some extreme circumstances here but I would definitely not want the CCBs if they a) don't have 100% performance in cold, rain, etc. or b) have any real concerns about going through a standard high quality car wash.
      11-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

CCB brakes are awesome..............but as lemetier said to me a few months ago, these CCB brakes do not fit on M5 F10 cars built up to 2012 as these cars will need massive modifications for it to accept the MCCB:

-suspension, strut and axle adjustments
-re-calibration of the ABS and DSC systems (since the Yellow Carbon Brakes have different braking characteristics compared to the Blue Steel Brakes)

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #47
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
CCB brakes are awesome..............but as lemetier said to me a few months ago, these CCB brakes do not fit on M5 F10 cars built up to 2012 as these cars will need massive modifications for it to accept the MCCB:

-suspension, strut and axle adjustments
-re-calibration of the ABS and DSC systems (since the Yellow Carbon Brakes have different braking characteristics compared to the Blue Steel Brakes)

In my situation I am not concerned with retrofitting, just making a decision between a 2014 with CCB and one without. I don't really see the value for street and it seems there may actually be some performance limitations particularly in a real world situation, e.g. car is cold on a rainy day and need to make a hard stop or just want to stop normally and have to deal with an over sensitive or undersensistive brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #48
SpiderM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
darn it Silver TT - stop eying the same cars i'm considering to buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #49
MnMnM
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M, 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Spending 10k for a reduction of dust? Hell, charge me 20k. Why not
Ya well I live in Canada so thats like $40k
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #50
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver TT View Post
Just to elaborate a bit on this question, I read this review and I was wondering how many of you feel the same way? I get the brake dust thing, but my wife will be driving this car occasionally (which is why I am getting a normal car instead of something only a lunatic would drive) and the last thing I want is a hesitant brake pedal or brakes that need to be warmed up before being 100%.

---------

Peeling off the highway and onto back roads we made good use of the optional M Carbon Ceramic brakes which had good overall feel but seemed to need a few heavy braking applications to loosen up. Once warmed a bit, the ceramic discs feel confidence-inspiring but in my limited use and not necessarily scrubbing off major speed, I would personally have a hard time ponying up the $9,250 when equipping my own M6. That said, the shelf life of the ceramic brakes is reportedly equivalent to the life of the car meaning that the first owners could potentially never need to worry about brake changes. This is a go-to option for anyone planning to show their M6 some track time but that’s likely a very small segment of M6 buyers.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/10/29/20...-drive-review/
Anyone with CCB experience the same as the reviewer in the above blog post? Really trying to get a sense of the pros / cons for a non-tracked M5.
      11-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #51
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Con's - expensive to buy or replace.

Pro's - better in every respect to braking, sterring and supension feel to more or lesser degrees. Clean wheels (very little dust) long service life if not tracked - can have similar service life to steels on track if traction control used or driver very heavy on brakes and no cooling laps/time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #52
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

6 months with CCBs

Took delivery in April and am very pleased with the CCBs. Impressions:

1) Incredible stopping power. Car stops on a dime.
2) Virtually NO brake dust. Clean wheels all the time.
3) Look the business. Gold calipers and huge rotors are awesome.

I'd go for them...
      11-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #53
Copasetic222
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

I have a friend in the Twin Cities who has a company that cryogenically treats brake rotors to last longer. We use them on our track cars.

I called him for advice when I was looking at two pre-owned M5's with CCB's. His advice was stay away. Not enough apparent difference in performance on the street to warrant the cost plus the rotors can crack from rock chips, etc. BMW wants 13 grand for replacement front ceramic rotors and pads.

He also said he has clients that buy Porsche GT3's that only come with ceramic brakes. They come to him and spend 5 grand to replace them with steel brakes in order to avoid the costly replacement parts if there is a problem. They put the ceramics back on when they sell the car.

I took his advice, and now I clean my wheels a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #54
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic222 View Post
I have a friend in the Twin Cities who has a company that cryogenically treats brake rotors to last longer. We use them on our track cars.

I called him for advice when I was looking at two pre-owned M5's with CCB's. His advice was stay away. Not enough apparent difference in performance on the street to warrant the cost plus the rotors can crack from rock chips, etc. BMW wants 13 grand for replacement front ceramic rotors and pads.

He also said he has clients that buy Porsche GT3's that only come with ceramic brakes. They come to him and spend 5 grand to replace them with steel brakes in order to avoid the costly replacement parts if there is a problem. They put the ceramics back on when they sell the car.

I took his advice, and now I clean my wheels a lot.
Ha...hear you on cleaning the wheels a lot. Very good information on the rock chips. Also heard you have to be really careful with cleaning solvents and the like which is a bit scary to me given I occasionally have to use a brushless car wash (not often but when absolutely necessary like middle of winter) and would really hate to have any adverse effects from something like that.
      11-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #55
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Should t worry about this at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:30 AM   #56
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

This reminds me of the hand wringing about the comp package. Anyone who didn't get it tries to justify their decision by saying it's not worth the money, can spend the same money on aftermarket upgrades... blah blah blah. Bottom line is the CCBs are superior brakes and if you want them you gotta pay for them. Stop better, lighter, last longer and look better...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:56 AM   #57
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Agree^^^
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #58
Oliver Queen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB/SO M3, 2016 F10 M5

I have CCBs on mine and I love them! I also had them on my F80 before I got the M5, the only negative I have about these is the stress you get when you have to get a tire shop to patch a tire, last thing we need is wheels dropping on the rotors. Unfortunately my first tire had a nail and had to go to BMW which they had to put a new tire since they don't do repairs. The new tire got a nail literally on the edge of the sidewall so that tire was useless, instead of going to BMW I went to the tire shop with my first tire and it was patched and still going strong. The stress of the removing wheel process is high unless that whole situation is a hoax where you drop the wheel on the rotor will require replacing it.
2015 ML63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #59
M5ZRH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

To give some perspective:
. my car has 44 000 miles with standard brakes with high temperature brake fluid
. -no- track days
. some spirited driving on German Autobahns but otherwise a majority of smooth swift driving within speed limits
. result: front discs had to be replaced twice (pads 3 times) and back discs once (pads twice) under warranty (included in maintenance here in Europe)

. tried other M5s with the CCBs on track days (M Driving Experience): impressive consistency in pedal feel and stopping power
. but then the tires are the weak point as they can overshoot in temperature and then grip drops fast

Therefore if I had to chose again I would definitely go for the CCBs...
But it ultimately comes down to your personal driving, how you use the car, preferences and if you want to spend on the CCBs: your choice knowing pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #60
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ZRH View Post
To give some perspective:
. my car has 44 000 miles with standard brakes with high temperature brake fluid
. -no- track days
. some spirited driving on German Autobahns but otherwise a majority of smooth swift driving within speed limits
. result: front discs had to be replaced twice (pads 3 times) and back discs once (pads twice) under warranty (included in maintenance here in Europe)

. tried other M5s with the CCBs on track days (M Driving Experience): impressive consistency in pedal feel and stopping power
. but then the tires are the weak point as they can overshoot in temperature and then grip drops fast

Therefore if I had to chose again I would definitely go for the CCBs...
But it ultimately comes down to your personal driving, how you use the car, preferences and if you want to spend on the CCBs: your choice knowing pros and cons.
Outstanding analysis and incredibly helpful. Thank you. Somewhat surprised at the lack of longevity from the standard brake components. My Cayenne Turbo had amazing brakes (steel) and with spirited driving on a much heavier car over 20,000 miles didn't have to replace anything at all.
      11-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #61
SpiderM5
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm curious, for the folks who say no to CCB, would you get them if they were a 2k option? How about a no cost option?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #62
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightM View Post
Anyone here besides myself wish they have purchase ceramic brakes? Not for stopping but for looks and keeping wheels clean all day everyday. Specially if you have nice aftermarket wheels ?
Nope, because I have them
      11-17-2016, 03:49 AM   #63
ur20v
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Queen View Post
I have CCBs on mine and I love them! I also had them on my F80 before I got the M5, the only negative I have about these is the stress you get when you have to get a tire shop to patch a tire, last thing we need is wheels dropping on the rotors. Unfortunately my first tire had a nail and had to go to BMW which they had to put a new tire since they don't do repairs. The new tire got a nail literally on the edge of the sidewall so that tire was useless, instead of going to BMW I went to the tire shop with my first tire and it was patched and still going strong. The stress of the removing wheel process is high unless that whole situation is a hoax where you drop the wheel on the rotor will require replacing it.
If you use the wheel removal pins (2 per wheel) there is zero chance of dropping the wheel on the disc. Avaliable here: http://burgertuning.com/wheel_hanger...ni_cooper.html

Also the discs are strong and as not as fragile as some make out but they aren't as strong as steel when subjected to impacts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0