M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

BMW USA Configurator back up and running!

The interesting news. Comfort access is not listed in the xecutive Package.... It's actually nort listed anywhere from what I can see... But if you want the Driver Assistance Package, You have to get the executive Package. Kind of a bummer. I want the cameras for parking.... And the HUD so I'm stuck getting both packages....

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=135G

Last edited by Rohardi; 05-14-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Under Explore M5/ Features and Specs/Download Standard/Optional Equipment Brochure which was revised May 3, 2012, It lists Comfort Acccess as part of Executive Package and not a stadalone option and also not a standard feature.
Guess we just dont know which is more accurate, but I woudl give the nod to this over the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
zzade46m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: add now!

Garage List
Charge for Floor Mats?

Just noticed this on the configurator, Carpeted Floor Mats $152??

Am I missing something, even my 20K Honda came with free floor mats...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzade46m3 View Post

Yeah, a lot of dealers throw them in, but I don't think they're standard. Or maybe regular floor mats are and those refer to the ones with the M5 logo on them?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
czarmar
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzade46m3 View Post

Floormats appear on the list of standard features. You shouldn't have to pay extra for them.

My guess is that comfort access will become standard, as there's quite an uproar to be required to get a $5500 options package with dubious value to get what is considered a pretty basic feature for a circa 2012 car, moreso a halo car.

If BMW were offering a 'stripper' M5, which seems oxymoronic, perhaps they could justify leaving off the comfort access as a standard accessory, or at least making it optionally available as a stand alone option.

To BMW NA, here's what your list of exec. package options do for me:
Heated Steering Wheel
• Heated rear seats - This option will get very minimal usage
• Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades - I'd rather tint my windows. The sunshades are easy to break, and in my old car, they create rattling headaches.
• Power tailgate - Nice to have, extra weight. I really like the premium package in the 528i that includes this feature. The 528i premium package is a lot of value for the cost.
• Active front seats - Extra weight
• BMW Apps - You still have to pay extra for the cradle, and BMW apps doesn't do a lot right now. I'd rather not take my phone out of my pocket anyways, except on longish trips.
• Front ventilated seats - Extra weight, harder to clean, not important to me
• Soft-close automatic doors - Extra weight
• Head-up Display - One of the useful options
• Smartphone Integration - Comes with BMW Apps
• 4-zone automatic climate control - very low usage

Hmm, comfort access doesn't appear on this list. Here's hoping BMW NA gets a little smarter. I'm not paying for the exec. package to get comfort access. Someone please tell me how much WEIGHT the exec. package adds to an already heavy car..

I still want the heavy 20" wheels, because they are amazing, and the 19"s look so dull.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarmar View Post
To BMW NA, here's what your list of exec. package options do for me:
Heated Steering Wheel
• Heated rear seats - This option will get very minimal usage
• Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades - I'd rather tint my windows. The sunshades are easy to break, and in my old car, they create rattling headaches.
• Power tailgate - Nice to have, extra weight. I really like the premium package in the 528i that includes this feature. The 528i premium package is a lot of value for the cost.
• Active front seats - Extra weight
• BMW Apps - You still have to pay extra for the cradle, and BMW apps doesn't do a lot right now. I'd rather not take my phone out of my pocket anyways, except on longish trips.
• Front ventilated seats - Extra weight, harder to clean, not important to me
• Soft-close automatic doors - Extra weight
• Head-up Display - One of the useful options
• Smartphone Integration - Comes with BMW Apps
• 4-zone automatic climate control - very low usage
My M5 would be a Tanzanite Blue exterior (wish they offered that normally like they do on the M6!!), Silverstone Full Merino, 20", HUD, maybe BMW Apps (for Pandora over USB, screw the cradle), and most agonizing decision of all, maybe manual transmission -- that's it. Neither package does anything for me, and while I do want Comfort Access, I'm not willing to pay for a package that has else nothing I'm interested in (besides HUD, which I'm getting anyway) and in fact adds features which for me would DETRACT from the value of the car. Most of those features add weight while offering little to no utility, and some of those features would be very expensive to repair/replace outside of warranty. As for the standalone options:

- Night vision is a gimmick
- B&O sounded practically identical to the standard-for-US "Premium Hi-Fi system" when I compared them
- Rear seat entertainment is more expensive and less functional than a pair of iPads
- Ceramic brakes are practically useless unless you plan to track, and seeing as they're not covered by Ultimate Service, you'd be looking at major cash when you wear them out or if you ever damage them (which is frighteningly easy to do). I think they'd actually damage resale value since prospective buyers wouldn't want to risk getting stuck with a $10K bill to change their front brakes shortly after taking ownership. Oh, and BMW even admits on the configurator that they will squeal on the street. Pass.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

So does anyone know if you will have to get the Executive Package if you want the Driver Assistance Package? I'd like the side and top view cameras in the Driver Assistance Package with out having to buy the $5500 executive package...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
So does anyone know if you will have to get the Executive Package if you want the Driver Assistance Package? I'd like the side and top view cameras in the Driver Assistance Package with out having to buy the $5500 executive package...
According to the Ordering Guide and configurator, you'll need Exec to get DA. I can't for the life of me figure out what the dependency is, except maybe "needing" the power liftgate to give the driver an easy way to close the trunk if it's open and therefore preventing Top View from working? Of course that would also prevent the standard Rear View from working, so that's pretty thin, but it's all I've got. Or it could just be upselling on BMW's part.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0