M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #45
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Thanks Boot space is pretty good, much more depth and height than you'd think. Its helped by being very square and has no problem taking two medium-large suitcases.

The nav screen is fixed but because the dash sort of wraps around behind it, it doesn't look too tacked on. The screen isn't as big as in my M6 (which is huge) - I think it's around 8", so the same as in the latest 3 series with Pro-Nav.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Thanks Boot space is pretty good, much more depth and height than you'd think. Its helped by being very square and has no problem taking two medium-large suitcases.

The nav screen is fixed but because the dash sort of wraps around behind it, it doesn't look too tacked on. The screen isn't as big as in my M6 (which is huge) - I think it's around 8", so the same as in the latest 3 series with Pro-Nav.
So I could get a set of golf clubs and trolly in do you think.
      01-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #47
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Andrew,
Thats a good deal/discount you got there. As a comparison, the spec i had chosen, had come out at around £36k, and ive been told £33k would buy it, but i feel they were being under generous with that. Do you have the M adaptive suspension, and do you feel its essential ?. Funnily enough i went for white with the Coral red too. The lasting impression i have of the car, is just how smooth and creamy the engine is, i just wasnt expecting that, and i really like the driving position, being able to get really low, im sure people would say, "hey look", there is nobody driving that car !, as i think my head was just above the door panels. Its certainly a very good option, even though i suppose its expensive for a 1 series, but saying that, i looked again at the TT RS S-Tronic Plus, and they wanted £55k for that, now that is silly, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #48
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
So I could get a set of golf clubs and trolly in do you think.
Oh easily I'd imagine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Andrew,
Thats a good deal/discount you got there. As a comparison, the spec i had chosen, had come out at around £36k, and ive been told £33k would buy it, but i feel they were being under generous with that. Do you have the M adaptive suspension, and do you feel its essential ?. Funnily enough i went for white with the Coral red too. The lasting impression i have of the car, is just how smooth and creamy the engine is, i just wasnt expecting that, and i really like the driving position, being able to get really low, im sure people would say, "hey look", there is nobody driving that car !, as i think my head was just above the door panels. Its certainly a very good option, even though i suppose its expensive for a 1 series, but saying that, i looked again at the TT RS S-Tronic Plus, and they wanted £55k for that, now that is silly, regards, SIMON.
I don't think the M135i is overly expensive for what it is - the drivetrain is really rich and I reckon quality / ambience wise, it's a step above other high £20k's hot hatches such as Golfs, Focuses etc. The A-class and A3' are probably comparable but they're similar (or more money and neither have the incredible straight-6 / ZF 8-speed / RWD drivetrain!

With regards M Adaptive suspension, I had the same dilemma after driving a demo which didn't have it. That car was quite choppy and never settled down on the motorway, whereas with the adaptive suspension it's much more comfortable, yet still firm enough in sport mode. I'm very glad I spec'd it as it's a noticeable improvement over the standard suspension.

A word of caution regarding the driving position - if you like it really low, maybe don't spec electric seats. The car I test drove with manual seats allowed the seat to go lower than my electric ones and, as I also like a really low driving position, I was initially a bit miffed by this. Saying that, it's still low enough and I don't notice it at all now.

As for the deal, you should be able to get more than the £3k discount, although I believe the crazy deals being done late last year have stopped for a couple of reasons:

1. BMW are no longer chasing volume and,
2. I believe there's a shortage of 6-cylinder engines (I guess they're gearing up production for the M235i and M3/4).

The latter also means you could be in for a bit of a wait unless there's a stock car you want. Have you tried Tony at Cooper Tunbridge Wells? He is fairly active on both Pistonheads and BabyBMW forums and is known to do the best deals in the UK - I'm confident he'd do more than £3k.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #49
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Thanks Andrew,
I do know of Tony, from BabyBMW, but havent spoken to him personally yet. Ive tried to be loyal to my local dealers, but may just try elsewhere on this occasion. I sometimes wonder if trying to be loyal to one dealership, breeds too much familiarity, and they then dont seem to try as hard for you, but i may well be wrong. Thanks very much for your input, much appreciated, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #50
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Andrew,
I do know of Tony, from BabyBMW, but havent spoken to him personally yet. Ive tried to be loyal to my local dealers, but may just try elsewhere on this occasion. I sometimes wonder if trying to be loyal to one dealership, breeds too much familiarity, and they then dont seem to try as hard for you, but i may well be wrong. Thanks very much for your input, much appreciated, regards, SIMON.
In an ideal world it would be very convenient and noble staying with a local dealer but the reality is, you're rarely rewarded for it in comparison to any other punter.

I also believe over-familiarity makes the dealer less likely to work as hard which then results in them trying to make that little extra margin because they know you won't go anywhere else (we mustn't forget they are a profit-driven business after all). The rather lazy £3k discount you've been offered somewhat confirms this.

Give Tony a shout and good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #51
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Thanks Andrew,
Simon,

8% at this time of year is very good considering we're in Jan. Shop around - you may get up to 15% from a larger dealer/group (coopers as stated above) who is going for volume early. As to loyalty, you can always run a better offer past your local dealer - they may not match it but get close. You are unlikely to achieve 18% on M135i in Jan. Best deals are always 31st Dec, but need to take stock car and register on the day (assuming you can find a car you like).

Andrew,

Great M135i - just the colour combo I would choose & considered a 5dr for my wife (aka satisfying my own needs for a sports car ), however, too much of a step up in performance. May have a look at Golf GTD DSG since she hates refuelling.

I have similar issue as you as to 991 as 2nd car for me - that truly would be wasteful as it'll hardly do any mileage, so literally could last a lifetime. Need to start appreciating having the M5 more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #52
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
In an ideal world it would be very convenient and noble staying with a local dealer but the reality is, you're rarely rewarded for it in comparison to any other punter.

I also believe over-familiarity makes the dealer less likely to work as hard which then results in them trying to make that little extra margin because they know you won't go anywhere else (we mustn't forget they are a profit-driven business after all). The rather lazy £3k discount you've been offered somewhat confirms this.

Give Tony a shout and good luck
Totally agree, I go nationwide then getting the best price , see if my guy can beat it, and they always do, I take i bit more off the best deal also

I Never go straight to them. That would be a mistake and cost me.