M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #133
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Power

Great numbers and I can't wait to order my unit next month. My bonus will be in by next month and it will be well spent. Saving up for rear tires now.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #134
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
For those of you that have the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner we just released an update for your vehicles that gives you a bit more power. It's free to you and all you have to do is contact your local Dinan dealer and schedule an appointment. The website and charts have been updated with the new information if you want a more in depth look but the simple breakdown of the power increases can be found below...

F10 M5 & F06/12/13 M6 (Stage 1)
Old Performance Numbers: 652 HP, 631 lb-ft of torque
New Performance Numbers: 680 HP, 644 lb-ft of torque

F10 M5 (Stage 2)
Old Performance Numbers: 675 HP, 644 lb-ft of torque
New Performance Numbers: 693 HP, 651 lb-ft of torque

F10 M5 & F06/12/13 M6 Competition Package (Stage 1)
Old Performance Numbers: 666 HP, 634 lb-ft of torque
New Performance Numbers: 695 HP, 644 lb-ft of torque

F10 M5 Competition Package (Stage 2)
Old Performance Numbers: 689 HP, 644 lb-ft of torque
New Performance Numbers: 708 HP, 651 lb-ft of torque
Perhaps it's in the thread somewhere but given the updated tune I wanted to ask again... With the BMS tune being such a bargain compared to the Dinan what is the real upsell for the cost difference, aside from the warranty? Just want to make sure I have it clear..
      10-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #135
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino
Quote:
For those of you that have the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner we just released an update for your vehicles that gives you a bit more power. It's free to you and all you have to do is contact your local Dinan dealer and schedule an appointment. The website and charts have been updated with the new information if you want a more in depth look but the simple breakdown of the power increases can be found below...

F10 M5 (Stage 2)

Perhaps it's in the thread somewhere but given the updated tune I wanted to ask again... With the BMS tune being such a bargain compared to the Dinan what is the real upsell for the cost difference, aside from the warranty? Just want to make sure I have it clear..
The BMS just tricks the ECU into running more boost , when the ECU sees more airflow than expected it increases fueling by adjusting long term fuel trims and depending on conditions and the boost setting retards timing . Depending on air conditions and 93 octane or greater fuel this works pretty well at the base settings . The Dinan unit also tricks the ECU into more boost but it also adjusts in real time fueling and timing . So it IS a more consistent tune and will have better drivability and a better safety profile . I think a Dinan stage 2 will make at least the same power as a BMS on pump gas on < 3.5 psi setting and likely will make more power 6-7krpm where it needs it . I'm going to try the stage 2 on my CP m6 and will give everyone hard numbers between BMS at 3.5 psi and the new Stage 2 Dinan . I decided to switch due to a few issues I had on track with the BMS at higher boost levels .
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #136
padrino
Alpina!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
The BMS just tricks the ECU into running more boost , when the ECU sees more airflow than expected it increases fueling by adjusting long term fuel trims and depending on conditions and the boost setting retards timing . Depending on air conditions and 93 octane or greater fuel this works pretty well at the base settings . The Dinan unit also tricks the ECU into more boost but it also adjusts in real time fueling and timing . So it IS a more consistent tune and will have better drivability and a better safety profile . I think a Dinan stage 2 will make at least the same power as a BMS on pump gas on < 3.5 psi setting and likely will make more power 6-7krpm where it needs it . I'm going to try the stage 2 on my CP m6 and will give everyone hard numbers between BMS at 3.5 psi and the new Stage 2 Dinan . I decided to switch due to a few issues I had on track with the BMS at higher boost levels .
Thanks for the information, with them both being piggybacks I didn't realize the Dinan did more, similar to perhaps the BMS JB4 tunes...

In any case that definitely helps, I need to think though this for my CP M5..

With respect to the Dinan warranty, can I just roll into my dealer with the tune on, no issues, or do I need to do anything different.. With the BMS I simply take it out..
      10-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #137
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:

F10 M5 (Stage 2)

Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #138
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
Thanks for the information, with them both being piggybacks I didn't realize the Dinan did more, similar to perhaps the BMS JB4 tunes...

With respect to the Dinan warranty, can I just roll into my dealer with the tune on, no issues, or do I need to do anything different.. With the BMS I simply take it out..
No issues from any dealer. To be fair, no dealer can void ANY warranty regardless of what aftermarket product is installed. It is a law. It has to be proven that the fault at hand is caused by the aftermarket produt before any type of warranty can be voided.

But, the Dinan setup performs alot better then the BMS tune on all aspects. I switched from BMS once the Dinan Dtronics was avalable.
Car is performing amazing ! Get stage 2, you wont be dissapointed
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #139
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar
Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post

No issues from any dealer. To be fair, no dealer can void ANY warranty regardless of what aftermarket product is installed. It is a law. It has to be proven that the fault at hand is caused by the aftermarket produt before any type of warranty can be voided.

But, the Dinan setup performs alot better then the BMS tune on all aspects. I switched from BMS once the Dinan Dtronics was avalable.
Car is performing amazing ! Get stage 2, you wont be dissapointed
Feel aside is the stage 2 faster on your car than the BMS at 3.5 with 93 octane ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #140
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Feel aside is the stage 2 faster on your car than the BMS at 3.5 with 93 octane ?
Great question think we never got this answer.

Any head to head runs, VBox or dynos?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #141
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD
Quote:

I'm going to give it a shot on my car so we will have hard data on 60-130 , 1/4 mile etc .
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #142
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Dinan pulls hard on BMS set to "3". Don't think anyone has compared be 3.5 yet.
      10-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #143
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to give it a shot on my car so we will have hard data on 60-130 , 1/4 mile etc .
Looking forward to your numbers. You will be a much better judge. My vbox numbers are always all over the place because I am not consistent and I am nervous to do a bunch of launches. You seem to have to dialed in.

Make sure the tune gets properly uploaded to the box and that the dealer confirms via checking the box after upload.
      10-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #144
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guys when switching from BMS to Dinan do you suggest taking out the BMS or setting the program to 0 and allowing the ECU to revert back to stock before having the DINAN harness replace the BMS or just replace the BMS with the DINAN?

Thanks

***If DINAN still following our thread please advise****

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #145
padrino
Alpina!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Dinan pulls hard on BMS set to "3". Don't think anyone has compared be 3.5 yet.
I run 3.5 on the BMS in my non-CP M5, and on 93 it has always been solid..

Biggest difference is the pull when already moving, I am very interested in how the Dinan compares but at 6X the cost (plus installation) I decided to move on BMS on my CP M5 as well... Maybe I made a mistake but I would love to go head to head with a Dinan M5 since I suspect at 3.5 it will hold it's own...
      10-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #146
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Guys when switching from BMS to Dinan do you suggest taking out the BMS or setting the program to 0 and allowing the ECU to revert back to stock before having the DINAN harness replace the BMS or just replace the BMS with the DINAN?

Thanks

***If DINAN still following our thread please advise****

Thanks again
You can simply take out any other tune and then install the dinan one. No time is needed for the ECU to adapt back to stock in between installs.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #147
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to your numbers. You will be a much better judge. My vbox numbers are always all over the place because I am not consistent and I am nervous to do a bunch of launches. You seem to have to dialed in.

Make sure the tune gets properly uploaded to the box and that the dealer confirms via checking the box after upload.
I had the Dinan stage 1 installed yesterday on my M6 CP . Was going with the stage 2 but Dinan changed their software this week so the dealer has to enter the VIN of the vehicle . The software then selects the appropriate software version for you're car and I assume adds VIN lock security for their files . At any rate a stage 2 isn't available for the M6 so it will be a couple of weeks until I get the stage 2 file uploaded . On to what you want to know .
I was fully expecting the BMS set at 3.5 on 93 octane to be as fast or faster than the stage 1 Dinan . I have fully defended the BMS on several occasions on the forum and it was effective at mKing my car faster . I decided to switch because of throttle modulation issues I noticed on track and the strip with the BMS and a limp mode issue on track from high EGT . It was apparent from when I looked at the harness for the Dinan and BMS the difference between the products technically are far more than I thought . The Dinan ECU has factory looms that tie directly into each banks ECU . It does far more than fool the TMAP sensor like the BMS and looks it , really quality parts . I expected quality equipment what I didn't expect was the Dinan stage 1 IS FASTER significantly than the BMS set to 3.5 on 93 octane . The BMS makes more tq down around 3 k but that came with slight delay then tq surge especially when trying to modulate the throttle or coming off boost, it also would cause a delay in mid rpm shifts in 1st and 2nd gear . The Dinan has stock throttle response , the DCT shifts instantly again in ANY situation and the car pulls significantly harder than the BMS above 5k RPM . It's enough where it is very obvious that the car is faster( > 30 hp at 6k ) .I am fully pleased with it so far and its worth it to me just for the increased drivability and safety alone . (10/10 DCT function and throttle modulation for the Dinan, really worlds different between the two ) When the weather cools off again to a neutral DA I will do full testing in my level location as numbers will be the definitive word .
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #148
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
I had the Dinan stage 1 installed yesterday on my M6 CP . Was going with the stage 2 but Dinan changed their software this week so the dealer has to enter the VIN of the vehicle . The software then selects the appropriate software version for you're car and I assume adds VIN lock security for their files . At any rate a stage 2 isn't available for the M6 so it will be a couple of weeks until I get the stage 2 file uploaded . On to what you want to know .
I was fully expecting the BMS set at 3.5 on 93 octane to be as fast or faster than the stage 1 Dinan . I have fully defended the BMS on several occasions on the forum and it was effective at mKing my car faster . I decided to switch because of throttle modulation issues I noticed on track and the strip with the BMS and a limp mode issue on track from high EGT . It was apparent from when I looked at the harness for the Dinan and BMS the difference between the products technically are far more than I thought . The Dinan ECU has factory looms that tie directly into each banks ECU . It does far more than fool the TMAP sensor like the BMS and looks it , really quality parts . I expected quality equipment what I didn't expect was the Dinan stage 1 IS FASTER significantly than the BMS set to 3.5 on 93 octane . The BMS makes more tq down around 3 k but that came with slight delay then tq surge especially when trying to modulate the throttle or coming off boost, it also would cause a delay in mid rpm shifts in 1st and 2nd gear . The Dinan has stock throttle response , the DCT shifts instantly again in ANY situation and the car pulls significantly harder than the BMS above 5k RPM . It's enough where it is very obvious that the car is faster( > 30 hp at 6k ) .I am fully pleased with it so far and its worth it to me just for the increased drivability and safety alone . (10/10 DCT function and throttle modulation for the Dinan, really worlds different between the two ) When the weather cools off again to a neutral DA I will do full testing in my level location as numbers will be the definitive word .
Guess you really do get what you pay for in both cases. I will be picking up my Stage 2 update in the morning. I may take it out directly to a Vbox run site.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #149
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@gmd2003 glad you are happy with it. Keep us updated on the #'s.
      10-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #150
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Glad you are satisfied so far with the Dinan tune. Ultimately success comes from people trying the thing and reporting what they think. I honestly don't think you could get a more detailed (and favorable) review without going into hard numbers than what you said above. At Dinan we can emphasize the drivability difference till we are blue in the face but since there is no metric to measure it, that critical component is dependent on 3rd party experiences being reported.

I look forward to your seeing all your data points when you get the chance to do them. Same with wrsbmw's VBOX data with the update and also Spinny and boots' road tests / switcheroo (honestly I really want to hear that the most with boots impression with the Dinan drivability and vice versa). The more data that is out there the better it is for the community as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #151
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Ditto on the drive-ability issues with the BMS JB's. Had the same experience with the JB's on previous BMW's (335 and 535). The wife could not tell the difference but I could easily tell when I drove her car. She drives a new GC SRT and definitely loves the throttle response of that ride. I am trying to figure out how to sneak it away from her and get the Magnusson SC on it. Guys on the SRT forum are running zero to 60 in the three's with the supercharger mod.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #152
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Great review !!
Dinan's Dtronic system is truly a creative piece on software genius.
Its like apples to oranges when comparing to BMS.
BMS is a great product but if you have the money to spend, Dinan is a better decision without a doubt.
Hope to see more M drivers make the Dinan decision. I'm sure this is just the beginning and with more product in development, the software levels are just around the corner with more performance to be made.

Any Southern California members on here that are thinking of purchasing this set up feel free to contact me. I'll take you on a test run and let you experience the Dinan system.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #153
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

The one thing that sounds very important is that the installer knows the proper procedure to install the hardware and verify that everything went okay.

EuroKar, thanks for the offer. Could you again list the 3 or 4 things that will aid in the proper installation of the Dinan stage 1?

I know you made mention of them in another post but I would like to take the information to the Dinan installer (which happens to be a BMW dealership).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #154
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
The one thing that sounds very important is that the installer knows the proper procedure to install the hardware and verify that everything went okay.

EuroKar, thanks for the offer. Could you again list the 3 or 4 things that will aid in the proper installation of the Dinan stage 1?

I know you made mention of them in another post but I would like to take the information to the Dinan installer (which happens to be a BMW dealership).

Thanks
No prob. The installation dealer does have a copy directly from Dinan to aid them. But here is what I do when programming.

-The vehicle and the Dtronic blue tooth module needs to be within 10 feet of the programming computer. (The closer, the better for signal strength)
Any further and it will create communication issues which can time out the programming process. Which will require the module to be re-programmed.

-Vehicle needs the correct stable voltage supply while programming. This is a necessity when performing any type of diagnostic when the engine isn't running on all vehicles.

-The programing process is very straight forward. Input the vehicle information, then select the "located" blue tooth module and select programming. Once programming is finished, you can re-check the programmed module to ensure the software is loaded. If the software level is blank then the module needs to be programmed again.
And that's it. Pretty simple
Appreciate 0