BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

Hoping today is the day!!! New to me M5

Will be checking out a 2013 M5 with 38k miles. DCT, Monte Carlo blue, priced at $41k. I have been reading up on this car and watching tons of reviews. Right now I drive a C5 ZO6, I do love this car but wanting a little bit more and need back seats haha. This M5 would be replacing my daily driver (2012 X5) which was totaled, and also replacing my corvette as my joy driver. What are your guys thoughts on that? Also any feedback on what I should check out while im test driving the car would be appreciated. Also I do know if I end up getting the M5 I will also get a warranty to come along with it. Anybody have experience with Carmax warranty?

Last edited by lamaro88; 07-05-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
yoogene90.00
      07-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

A member here named "spiff" just got a M5 manual from Carmax and I believe he got their warranty. You can search for his thread; it's fairly new
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
IMO its a little over priced but not by much. I would check services records to make sure the car has been serviced on time. Check all the buttons, cameras and for weird noises while test drive. Also make sure you start the car from a "cold start" (aka the car isn't already warmed up). I would recommend getting the warranty because if something was to go wrong, it isn't cheap to get it all fixed up

best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaro88 View Post
Will be checking out a 2013 M5 with 38k miles. DCT, Monte Carlo blue, priced at $41k. I have been reading up on this car and watching tons of reviews. Right now I drive a C5 ZO6, I do love this car but wanting a little bit more and need back seats haha. This M5 would be replacing my daily driver (2012 X5) which was totaled, and also replacing my corvette as my joy driver. What are your guys thoughts on that? Also any feedback on what I should check out while im test driving the car would be appreciated. Also I do know if I end up getting the M5 I will also get a warranty to come along with it. Anybody have experience with Carmax warranty?
Hey is this the one at carmax Oxnard? I saw it when I picked up mine. Looked killer and seemed like a good price considering it has the BO stereo and perforated/ventilated seats.

Sort of loved it for a second, but was dead set on manual.

We had a 2011 X5M with carmax warranty before. It's amazing. You can take it to any BMW dealership and they'll acknowledge the warranty and service it like their own.

Highly suggest it and I recommend it to all my friends. Good luck!
      07-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

As an FYI, I got my (clean, good history) '13 with 30K miles with the same options and a few minor-ish mods for $45K with a 7 year bumper-to-bumper a few months ago. The warranty seemed like an anomaly as far as duration, so I was willing to pay a bit more. Probably would have tried for more like $43K if it was a "standard" 3 year.

It is a SO, not MCB, and purchased in Ohio, not Cali, so might be some differences there.

As far as the car itself, I am loving it. Beautiful car, fast, fun to drive, and I can still take another couple out with the wife for dinner*. And as a bit of an audiophile, I really do enjoy the B&O.

*and possibly make them crap themselves going WOT on an onramp.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Hey is this the one at carmax Oxnard? I saw it when I picked up mine. Looked killer and seemed like a good price considering it has the BO stereo and perforated/ventilated seats.

We had a 2011 X5M with carmax warranty before. It's amazing. You can take it to any BMW dealership and they'll acknowledge the warranty and service it like their own.

Yes it is the one at carmax of oxnard. Had it transferred from San Diego. I would love the manual also but I hear the DCT is super fast and feels real good. When did you get yours? The warranty sounds real good now that you put it that way haha. Sweet.

Edit: just saw your thread, very nice car.

Last edited by lamaro88; 07-02-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
spiff
The Dr
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is the one at carmax of oxnard. Had it transferred from San Diego. I would love the manual also but I hear the DCT is super fast and feels real good. When did you get yours? The warranty sounds real good now that you put it that way haha. Sweet.

Edit: just saw your thread, very nice car.
Got mine on Saturday. DCT is sick, I just wanted to go manual. You're gonna love it.

I have several friends working at different car dealerships and they all say it's near impossible for them to compete with the carmax warranty unless they buy it at their cost.

It's a good way to go. Personally I wouldn't shell out the cash for the $50 deductible, but it's nice you have a few options.

I would definitely get the warranty, do it.

Not sure your financial situation but whatever you do do NOT use Carmax's financing. Their rates blowwwwwwww. If you do an option contract (use another bank but drive away with the car), they run you through their financing but they are all pretty aware their financing rates blow; I swear it's only there for people who have no other options. They'll literally let almost anyone walk out the door with a car, 6% APR or 25%.
      07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well my plan is to finance through them and then refinance with my bank after selling my corvette, so I can use that money to put down. I really want to test drive the M5 so I can see if it excites me just as my vette does. Especially since it would replace it. Which is why I didnt sell my corvette already.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
slun80
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS430

I'm a fan of the CarMax warranties. I've purchased two and never had any issues with having claims paid, even while taking the car to another shop.

I've always gone with the $300 deductible.

Hope it works out!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: Ended up driving away with the M5. I could not pass it up. A few things wrong with the car that will be repaired. Overall the car is very very clean, especially with the low miles. 37,700 of of this morning. I told them not to wash the car before I left with it, didnt want them putting it through the machine wash, I will wash it by hand either later or tomorrow. Then it will be perfect for pictures haha.

Now for the bad news. After coming home in the car last night, I did a sorta hard pull on a secluded street, no houses or anything around. Settings were in sport mode and I was using the paddle shifters. I get the drivetrain malfunction error that I had been reading up on. Car went into limp mode, I was kinda frustrated but at the same time knew it was a common issue (surprised it didnt happen while on the test drive) . Turned the car off for a few minutes then turned it back on, and car is running normal again...yay. Called carmax today, told them what happen and I have an appointment on Monday for then to diagnose it. Will be a free fix since its under the 90day warranty they offer.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Update: Ended up driving away with the M5. I could not pass it up. A few things wrong with the car that will be repaired. Overall the car is very very clean, especially with the low miles. 37,700 of of this morning. I told them not to wash the car before I left with it, didnt want them putting it through the machine wash, I will wash it by hand either later or tomorrow. Then it will be perfect for pictures haha.

Now for the bad news. After coming home in the car last night, I did a sorta hard pull on a secluded street, no houses or anything around. Settings were in sport mode and I was using the paddle shifters. I get the drivetrain malfunction error that I had been reading up on. Car went into limp mode, I was kinda frustrated but at the same time knew it was a common issue (surprised it didnt happen while on the test drive) . Turned the car off for a few minutes then turned it back on, and car is running normal again...yay. Called carmax today, told them what happen and I have an appointment on Monday for then to diagnose it. Will be a free fix since its under the 90day warranty they offer.
Sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced. At least you know it will be sorted free of charge. You'll love the m5, even more so when you get used to it. Did you say it was monte carlo blue? Love to see some images of it if poss.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced. At least you know it will be sorted free of charge. You'll love the m5, even more so when you get used to it. Did you say it was monte carlo blue? Love to see some images of it if poss.
Yes it is monte carlo blue. I will try to wash the car today and possibly get some pics up tomorrow with my good camera instead of my phone. Since its 4th of July and I dont work. Im gonna spend all day just driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
spiff
The Dr
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is monte carlo blue. I will try to wash the car today and possibly get some pics up tomorrow with my good camera instead of my phone. Since its 4th of July and I dont work. Im gonna spend all day just driving.
Bummer about limp mode. Sometimes it can be junk fuel and they use a blend at carmax not 91.

At least you've got the warranties to cover you, that makes me rest easy with any issue.
      07-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Bummer about limp mode. Sometimes it can be junk fuel and they use a blend at carmax not 91.

At least you've got the warranties to cover you, that makes me rest easy with any issue.
Yeah definately was a bummer, thats another thing that ran through my mind about the fuel. Because they filled it up before I left the dealer and I was thinking if they put 91 or just some cheap stuff. But yeah about the warranty it is good. The Carmax 90 day/4k mile warranty helps so that I dont have to pay any deductible till thats over.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #15
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:

There are so many causes of DTM error, but my money's on either plugs or coils. That's what it was for me.

Good luck with the car!
      07-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #16
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Yeah definately was a bummer, thats another thing that ran through my mind about the fuel. Because they filled it up before I left the dealer and I was thinking if they put 91 or just some cheap stuff. But yeah about the warranty it is good. The Carmax 90 day/4k mile warranty helps so that I dont have to pay any deductible till thats over.
I'd be wary of supermarket fuels or others that are none of the main brands.
When visiting Poland I was advised to fill with Shell,Bp etc as it was rumoured that water was being added to some of the lesser known fuels and people telling us rough running disappeared when filling again with premium brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #17
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

pic in first post

Last edited by lamaro88; 07-05-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #18
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Quote:

There are so many causes of DTM error, but my money's on either plugs or coils. That's what it was for me.

Good luck with the car!
Yep, my money's on the plugs and/or coils also and same happened to me also!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:28 AM   #19
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am hoping it is just plugs and coils and nothing worst. Thanks for the replies.

Update, the Drivetrain Malfunction came back again and this time it did go away but the check engine light stayed on. Needs to be Monday already so I can take it to get checked out.

Last edited by lamaro88; 07-05-2019 at 01:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #20
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Nice looking car. Just fitted a carbon high kick spoiler from jb speed to my monte carlo beast. Keep an eye out for pics, they'll be up this weekend, looks excellent on MCB.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #21
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nice looking car. Just fitted a carbon high kick spoiler from jb speed to my monte carlo beast. Keep an eye out for pics, they'll be up this weekend, looks excellent on MCB.
Nice. Ill be waiting to see the pics, I can see carbon fiber looking reall good with this color. I love this color, pictures definitely don't do it justice
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Can't beat MCB, but I'm a little biased lol. Congrats, welcome and good luck w/ the car!