M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Electrical issues

Today while driving the car , all in the sudden the windshield vipers start moving itself, lock unlock button on the dash not working, pressing the backup camera not working either. Does anyone know what caused that ? Would that be my battery is having problem. I went into the hidden menu and check on the system voltage, when I am driving the car , it shows 13.2v. Is that little low ?

The only temporary fix is I stop the car, scan it with carly. Clear all the codes and it will go back to normal. But it won't stay long lol.

As for battery, I know we need to use AGM. Any good recommendation? Should I get those AMG from autozone..etc. I want to do it myself instead of taking it to the dealer. They charge you an arm and a leg also register it. I can register the battery with Carly.
I think the battery I have is using 90ah.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Sounds like a battery / alternator issue, with the car running 13.2 is low. The low voltage at idle can point to alternator not charging, low voltage makes these cars do some crazy stuff. People have used a battery from local suppliers and not the dealership with no issues, just get the correct one and register it with the car on install.

If the battery is over 5 yrs old I would start with that and see how it's charging, or at least charge the battery all night and see how she does in the morning.

Then start testing alternator etc. GL
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Thanks for the feedback. Lets hope not the alternator, its gonna be expensive.

If I only turn on the power without start the engine, went to hidden menu and do the system voltage. It shows 11.9 volt.

I think I will stop by autozone to have them test the alternator for me, I think its free. Its embarrassing when people all look at me why the hell the windshield viper moving quickly during the hot sunny day LOL. I can't stop laughing myself lol. The only thing working is the windows, radio.
I can't lock/unlock. reverse camera doesn't work.

Then all in a sudden, the display say something about the window viper not function, then it stopped moving. Once I click on "ok" to close the error message, I can lock/unlock door, reverse camera working. LOL. I thought my car was haunted !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Sounds like a battery / alternator issue, with the car running 13.2 is low. The low voltage at idle can point to alternator not charging, low voltage makes these cars do some crazy stuff. People have used a battery from local suppliers and not the dealership with no issues, just get the correct one and register it with the car on install.

If the battery is over 5 yrs old I would start with that and see how it's charging, or at least charge the battery all night and see how she does in the morning.

Then start testing alternator etc. GL
Appreciate 0