M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

08-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #45
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'm highly disappointed with the entire design of the Tesla Model S. It reminds me too much of a Buick or something fuddy. And sorry, although the giant 17" (or however large it is!) touch screen may "wow" people at first sight... I CANNOT imagine living with that darn thing. How do you drive (especially at night) with this gigantic color computer screen glaring at you?? Better yet, you have zero tactical reference points for controls. I can grab a nob or feel a button without looking at it... but cruising down the highway at 70mph, I need to take my eyes off the road to guide my fingers towards random areas of a touch screen. Yes, I'm sure you can control some of it through your steering wheel... but I'll venture not all of it. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I'm a techie, so I like the idea of what Tesla is trying to do. I just wish they could do it with a bit more class... and certainly with a LOT more luxury. These cars are way too expensive to feel so cheap inside. And as others have already pointed out, you can't have a six-figure car that's missing very basic amenities that are found on a $30k car.

Lastly, I'm still not sure how I feel about electrics. In some ways they're cool, and in other ways I think they're terrible. There's something critically important about the SOUNDS that come from a car - speed in silence? I don't like it. If the car gets you from point A to B, perhaps... but the growl of a combustion engine is in the heart of every car enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #46
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

So after reading this thread, maybe a new wife instead?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #47
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13
So after reading this thread, maybe a new wife instead?
That would be way more expensive!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #48
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Congrats! I'm getting a hybrid too just not a Tesla
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #49
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningthingz View Post
That would be way more expensive!
Easily the cost of an M5 and a Tesla P85 together for one new wife.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #50
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Very true, I will always need the roar of a combustion engine in my life even if I have a Tesla as a Daily Driver or something. You can especially understand with your 2015 V10. The upcoming Model 3 is supposed start around the $35,000 dollar range and have a supposed range of 200miles compared to the Model S's 300 miles. The biggest reason why the Model 3 Tesla doesn't exist yet is because Tesla doesn't have the production capacity to make millions of cars yet. The new Gigafactory will solve this production dilemma, and I would gladly own a BMW F10 M5 and a Tesla Model 3 as a daily driver, especially if I am only using the Tesla to commute to work. The best is yet to come for both high performance cars like the R8 and M5 and electric vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'm highly disappointed with the entire design of the Tesla Model S. It reminds me too much of a Buick or something fuddy. And sorry, although the giant 17" (or however large it is!) touch screen may "wow" people at first sight... I CANNOT imagine living with that darn thing. How do you drive (especially at night) with this gigantic color computer screen glaring at you?? Better yet, you have zero tactical reference points for controls. I can grab a nob or feel a button without looking at it... but cruising down the highway at 70mph, I need to take my eyes off the road to guide my fingers towards random areas of a touch screen. Yes, I'm sure you can control some of it through your steering wheel... but I'll venture not all of it. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I'm a techie, so I like the idea of what Tesla is trying to do. I just wish they could do it with a bit more class... and certainly with a LOT more luxury. These cars are way too expensive to feel so cheap inside. And as others have already pointed out, you can't have a six-figure car that's missing very basic amenities that are found on a $30k car.

Lastly, I'm still not sure how I feel about electrics. In some ways they're cool, and in other ways I think they're terrible. There's something critically important about the SOUNDS that come from a car - speed in silence? I don't like it. If the car gets you from point A to B, perhaps... but the growl of a combustion engine is in the heart of every car enthusiast.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #51
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Very true, I will always need the roar of a combustion engine in my life even if I have a Tesla as a Daily Driver or something. You can especially understand with your 2015 V10. The upcoming Model 3 is supposed start around the $35,000 dollar range and have a supposed range of 200miles compared to the Model S's 300 miles. The biggest reason why the Model 3 Tesla doesn't exist yet is because Tesla doesn't have the production capacity to make millions of cars yet. The new Gigafactory will solve this production dilemma, and I would gladly own a BMW F10 M5 and a Tesla Model 3 as a daily driver, especially if I am only using the Tesla to commute to work. The best is yet to come for both high performance cars like the R8 and M5 and electric vehicles.
I'm patiently awaiting the R8 delivery - should be only a few days away now (on the truck to the dealer at the moment). Rumor has it, it may be the end of the NA engine in these cars before the next model arrives, too... similar to whatever follows the 458. Things are changing everywhere.

I suppose I may be willing to give up a combustion engine on a daily driver with one in the garage for the fun drives. Like I said, I actually really WANT to love electrics... but I'm conflicted. When we see what's on the horizon - look at the 918 and La Ferrari - it looks like there's no turning back. We really do need to fix the efficiency problems (and renewable energy sources) with our DD cars on the road... but then there may be continued advancement with diesel, hydrogen, or other fuels, as well. What would motoring be without the combustion engine?

If Tesla could crack the code to create the fabled $35k long-range electric, it really will have a massive impact on the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #52
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
A little off topic but I recently got a Porsche Panamera E-hybrid as a loaner while the wife's Cayenne was in for service. Impressive technology. I couldn't plug it in but even with the small amount of charging from driving, the car turned off the gas engine (6 cylinder supercharged) for about half the time in city driving.

The transitions for turning the gas engine on and off were seamless and when you wanted to accelerate the gas + electric engines provided lots of torque. Car is rated at 50 mpg and I was getting close to that.

I wouldn't buy this car as I don't like the looks of the panamera but the driving dynamics were very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #53
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
A little off topic but I recently got a Porsche Panamera E-hybrid as a loaner while the wife's Cayenne was in for service. Impressive technology. I couldn't plug it in but even with the small amount of charging from driving, the car turned off the gas engine (6 cylinder supercharged) for about half the time in city driving.

The transitions for turning the gas engine on and off were seamless and when you wanted to accelerate the gas + electric engines provided lots of torque. Car is rated at 50 mpg and I was getting close to that.

I wouldn't buy this car as I don't like the looks of the panamera but the driving dynamics were very impressive.
Thats interesting, our RangeRover does that and it only get 16 MPG... Go Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #54
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Thats interesting, our RangeRover does that and it only get 16 MPG... Go Porsche!
I think this is because the Porsche can drive on the electric motor only. When I said the gas engine was off, this is while I was driving at city speeds.

The most impressive thing to me was that except for the brakes, you could not tell the difference in driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #55
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Electricity isn't really an alternative energy source, it's generated using fossil fuels for the most part and in California, I believe where you live, it's 95% from Natural Gas since they closed the colossal disaster called San Onofre.
This is hilarious! As I was reading the part about believing in all of this alternative energy stuff I was thinking "this guy must be from CA".-lol!

Then I scroll down and see a challenge to it and I was thinking "this guy must be from GA like me or TX".

I was right on both accounts!-hahahahaha!

Quote:
Hey guys! I placed an order for a Tesla P85 a few days ago and should be taking delivery in late October. I'm really going to miss the M5 but am ready for a change. If anyone is looking for some used parts off my current ride, please PM me and lets make a deal! The 20" BBS FI's are in perfect condition.

Full build specs on the Tesla are attached if anyone's curious.

The reason I'm making such a drastic change is because of the following:
- We have our first child on the way and my wife hates driving the M5 which makes car swapping impossible. She has a 14' Rangerover and I love driving that thing.
- I love the car I've built w/ the M5 but its been almost 2 years and thats usually my limit on cars. Ready for a change.
- We'll save some money w/ the Tesla which is always nice.
- Haven't seen too many customized Teslas around so plan to put a nice build together. It'll be limited for obvious reason but you can do a lot w/ paint & wheels.
- Saving the planet of course!
- I'm a Tesla stockholder....
- I believe in what Elon Musk is doing and forcing innovation when it comes to alternative power sources. It won't really matter in my lifetime but my kids and grandkids, it will.

I'll always love the M5 and all M cars. Who knows, maybe in 18 months I'll get another one again. But for now, lets see what these Tesla's are all about!

My Tesla P85 build:
I think they are very cool looking cars and so does my wife. She may want one as well when she tires of her M6. Chances are we'll be getting a Cayenne GTS though.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #56
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Electricity isn't really an alternative energy source, it's generated using fossil fuels for the most part and in California, I believe where you live, it's 95% from Natural Gas since they closed the colossal disaster called San Onofre.
Either way, net result is less emissions and it's cheaper for me.
It's not necessarily less net emissions either..you have to charge the car somewhere (at home or a station) which sucks up more energy from the grid and thus requires more work on the part of the fossil fuel plants supplying the grid.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #57
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

You are going to enjoy it !!

Did you order the P85+ ?
Attached Images

08-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #58
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC M3

Did you order the P85+ ?
Canceled my order man. The car can't compare to the M5 and for $130K I know I would of regretted my decision every time I see that interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #59
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC M3 View Post

Did you order the P85+ ?
Did you get one brother? You see what I did?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #60
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:

Did you order the P85+ ?
Did you get one brother? You see what I did?
I had the Tesla for a few days , it's the future !

I just saw it ! Nice ! My fav color . Last time we spoke you told me you didn't like that mclaren haha .

I drove it and I like it
      08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #61
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I had the Tesla for a few days , it's the future !

I just saw it ! Nice ! My fav color . Last time we spoke you told me you didn't like that mclaren haha .

I drove it and I like it
Yeah, I think the Tesla is pretty cool!

Lol-Remember I did that with Porsche!-haha!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #62
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Teslas WILL be getting cheaper in the future.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...says?fbfanpage

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #63
Michael V.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Awesome car - let me know if you decide to sell the car as-is /w mods
      08-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #64
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningthingz
Just test drove the Tesla, fuck that. Canceled my order. Interior is nowhere near the BMW. The search continues...

i feel like the tesla is ALL MARKETING AND HYPE.

good choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #65
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I blame the former administration.
Appreciate 0