M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #89
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Texas. I have considered moving to both FL and NV, too, as they are both places I've been and are attractive to me for many reasons. I just can't do it. I love it here. It's 77 degrees outside. Low tonight will be 64 degrees. I will be cruising home with the top down as I have almost everyday since I bought this car in October.
I'm was thinking to move somewhere near Austin...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #90
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac1 View Post
dont do it. austin is way too crowded for its current infrastructure and the cost of living is becoming exceedingly high. youre better off in san antonio. wayyy cheaper, you will be right next to the texas hill country and only about 1.5 hours from austin if you want to make a weekend trip for a festival or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #91
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
dont do it. austin is way too crowded for its current infrastructure and the cost of living is becoming exceedingly high. youre better off in san antonio. wayyy cheaper, you will be right next to the texas hill country and only about 1.5 hours from austin if you want to make a weekend trip for a festival or whatever.
That's personal opinion. I would never live in San Antonio over Austin. San Antonio has almost twice the population of Austin. I lived in San Antonio for 3 years and would never choose it over Austin. I love the Riverwalk area to visit, though.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #92
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That's personal opinion. I would never live in San Antonio over Austin. San Antonio has almost twice the population of Austin. I lived in San Antonio for 3 years and would never choose it over Austin. I love the Riverwalk area to visit, though.
No, it's fact. The population has far exceeded it's infrastructure and real estate is ridiculously overvalued. Jesus, my buddy and his parents missed the majority of his grandmother's burial in Austin due to traffic in Austin last Sat.

Quote:
Go back a read my post about Austin and then read my post about S.A. I gave S.A. it's fair criticism, but everything I said about Austin is true.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #93
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
So i honestly love living in Austin but I love it less every single day.

http://www.austinrelocationguide.com...ove-to-Austin/

And if you move here, that makes another person (or two) to add to the growth that our local govts refuse to plan for. I think they hired an ostrich for a city planner.

I am super lucky in that I have a job that typically allows me to work from my home - but I still live way out on the outer fringes to avoid the craziness.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #94
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Quote:
No, it's fact. The population has far exceeded it's infrastructure and real estate is ridiculously overvalued. Jesus, my buddy and his parents missed the majority of his grandmother's burial in Austin due to traffic in Austin last Sat.

Go back a read my post about Austin and then read my post about S.A. I gave S.A. it's fair criticism, but everything I said about Austin is true.
I still say that it is personal opinion as to whether it is better to live in Austin or San Antonio. I would rather live in Austin and that is my opinion.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #95
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still say that it is personal opinion as to whether it is better to live in Austin or San Antonio. I would rather live in Austin and that is my opinion.
This:
Quote:
youre better off in san antonio.
is the only part of his post that was opinion-based. The rest is true.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #96
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Hey OP - my .02:

Any Southeast state (NC, SC, GA, FL) are fantastic places to live.

As many have noted - FL does not have any state income tax. I have property in FL, and reside in NC.

Is this a retirement move, or will work be a factor in where you move?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
Zajac1258.50
      03-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #97
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Hey OP - my .02:

As many have noted - FL does not have any state income tax. I have property in FL, and reside in NC.

I just want to change something in my life. Especially as I mentioned I want to move to place where is warm all year long with no state taxes and cheaper properties to buy than in north NJ where I live now. I have job here in NJ, but I think as a Machine operator I can find easy job in any other state with same/similar salary
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #98
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I guess I just need to fly and see both cities. : )
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #99
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

Quote:
I guess I just need to fly and see both cities. : )
The nice thing is they are so close together you can fly in, rent a car and check both out. Heck you might fall in love with with SA or Austin, find a job in the opposite, but because they are close enough be able to enjoy your fav.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #100
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Hey OP - my .02:

I just want to change something in my life. Especially as I mentioned I want to move to place where is warm all year long with no state taxes and cheaper properties to buy than in north NJ where I live now. I have job here in NJ, but I think as a Machine operator I can find easy job in any other state with same/similar salary
FL is the place for you then. Especially on the gulf side. I've been swimming in the gulf on New Year's Day at my place on Lido Beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #101
Hirenarora
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Mississippi

We are last in everything
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #102
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Me and my wife are planning to move out from New Jersey to some state where is warm all year long in near future. Which state is the best to live in, in term of economy, prices of houses, properties, living lifestyle, etc. Btw sorry, but I'm not sure is the best forum to open that kind of topic. Any opinion would be appreciate. Thanks
You should move to cali forn IA
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #103
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep

From my research me and my wife like most Texas for a now, but still looking. Definitely I need to travel there for a week at least and see how is it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #104
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep

From my research me and my wife like most Texas for a now, but still looking. Definitely I need to travel there for a week at least and see how is it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #105
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:

San Antonio metro area population is 2.3 million, Austin is 2 million. Maybe the city's population is different, but where do you think all of that traffic comes from? Look around at all of the sprawl.
      03-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #106
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I hear Puerto Rico is nice, and US citizens don't need a passport because it's like the 53rd state or something
It's a US territory, which could choose someday to be a state, an independent country, or just remain a US territory. It also is almost bankrupt and has a zika problem. San Juan has the most auto traffic per mile of any city in the world. I enjoy visiting there though, and the rain forest outside San Juan is an amazing place to visit.
Zajac1258.50
      03-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #107
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I second that, but Dallas..especially North Dallas is my city of choice. Maybe a bit biased but still miss it a ton
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #108
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
San Antonio metro area population is 2.3 million, Austin is 2 million. Maybe the city's population is different, but where do you think all of that traffic comes from? Look around at all of the sprawl.
All you're doing is proving my point. The city's surrounding areas have expanded and the infrastructure to support the traffic just isn't there and they won't build it unless it's tolled. Proof of my point:

TX-71 should be a 5 lane freeway from Bee Cave to Bastrop. Barely 1/4 of that is.

US-290 on the north side should be the same to, probably, a bit past Manor if not all the way to Elgin. On the south side should be running probably all the way to Dripping Springs.

US-183 should be the same from where it ends just shy of Loyola to Toll 45\130 with an added joiner for the existing interchange there.

TX-360, the Capital of Texas Hwy. Why the hell isn't THAT a freeway? That is an utter clusterfuck.

US-79 they should already be looking at from Round Rock to Taylor.

Don't even get me started on the interchange parts don't exist that ABSOLUTELY should like I-35 North to either direction of Toll 45 on the north side, I-35 North to US-183 West or East in South Austin. US-290 North to US-183 East or West in South Austin, the existence of only ONE interchange ramp from Toll 130 South to US-290 (Tolled portion) westbound, etc. There's at least 3 or 4 more like this. Also, the fact that it took them 10 years to fully complete the entirety of the interchange of I-35 and TX-71.

And let's see about expansion that has been done:

US-290 north side to Toll-130, yep, expanded via toll road.
US-183 north, yep, a whole new parallel tolled road built just to the east called US-183A.
Loop 1 (MoPac Expwy.) all expansion that has been done has been done so using tolled sections.
Toll 45\130 just the fact that they were built is self-explanatory and the fact that it serves as a, sort of, freeway from Lockhart to South Austin. They'll be adding another lane or two to Toll 130 here soon that will probably run the length between Georgetown to the interchange at Toll 45 in South Austin.

I rest my case.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #109
Buddy628
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Msport, MB GLK250

NC is known for its pleasant weather but there are lot of things to look at. Folks here know you Yankees are looking for a way out of the high cost NE so they nickel and dime you on a lot of little things. They tax food, NC has a higher than avg US gas tax, vehicle's and other personal property. I have lived here for 20 of my 54 yrs on this earth, born and raised in OH lived in DC for a while and NC is not a very progressive place to live and very intolerant in a lot of ways native North Carolinians really don't want you "Yankees" coming down here and they let you know it. My kid who was raised here moved away because its very dysfunctional in a lot if ways. But if you like pulled pork and Cheerwine come get sum!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #110
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy628 View Post
NC is known for its pleasant weather but there are lot of things to look at. Folks here know you Yankees are looking for a way out of the high cost NE so they nickel and dime you on a lot of little things. They tax food, NC has a higher than avg US gas tax, vehicle's and other personal property. I have lived here for 20 of my 54 yrs on this earth, born and raised in OH lived in DC for a while and NC is not a very progressive place to live and very intolerant in a lot of ways native North Carolinians really don't want you "Yankees" coming down here and they let you know it. My kid who was raised here moved away because its very dysfunctional in a lot if ways. But if you like pulled pork and Cheerwine come get sum!
I'm not sure what part of NC you're in, but I was always welcomed as Yankee from Detroit. The only thing it really was, was a joke amongst locals but nobody really gave a shit. In fact, it was easier making friends in the south because more people are open to random conversation (Roxboro southern town and Raleigh). Also, not sure what you mean by getting nickel and dimed, never experienced that in the slightest.

If the worst thing to happen is someone calls you a Yankee then there are bigger problems. The screwed up government only counters other states. Property tax on a car, yeah it's dumb, but you can get screwed in insurance or whatever in another state, hell try living in CA if you're not a fan of government. Living in Ohio, I would much rather live in NC in a heartbeat. I'd take a pay cut to go back.
Appreciate 0