M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Break In Service for an Anal Retentive Freak

So I got my 1,200 done today. I'd scheduled it a week before, discussed all of my craziness with the shop foreman. He assigned my car to their (so he said) top tech. I brought my own oil (M1 0W-40 Euro Formula). I drew a line around quart number 9 at about a third down and instructed them to stop pouring there. I told them I'd finish a cup at a time topping off-given what the car told me over the next few days. Car was done in 50 minutes, with 2 tenths more on the ODO. (No washy, No drivey) I like it when people follow directions... I'm taking donuts to the tech tomorrow to thank him. Good guy.

Now I can change the oil and filter for awhile, and not stress over having someone else not do it with my freakish care. My OCD personality will inevitably shave years off of my life expectancy...

Last edited by GarbageMan; 04-25-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post

I brought my own oil (M1 0W-40 Euro Formula).
Good for you! I've been using it for about 600 miles and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
Question

Quote:
So I got my 1,200 done today. I'd scheduled it a week before, discussed all of my craziness with the shop foreman. He assigned my car to their (so he said) top tech. I brought my own oil (M1 0W-40 Euro Formula). I drew a line around quart number 9 at about a third down and instructed them to stop pouring there. I told them I'd finish a cup at a time topping off-given what the car told me over the next few days. Car was done in 50 minutes, with 2 tenths more on the ODO. (No washy, No drivey) I like it when people follow directions... I'm taking donuts to the tech tomorrow to thank him. Good guy.

Now I can change the oil and filter for awhile, and not stress over having someone else not do it with my freakish care. My OCD personality will inevitably shave years off of my life expectancy...
If you carry your own oil to the dealer, is there an issue about warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomequet View Post
If you carry your own oil to the dealer, is there an issue about warranty?
No. 0W-40 is an approved viscocity for use. (Check your owners manual) Of course, BMW recommends Castrol at every opportunity, as that's who they are allied with (since 1999). It is no different than MB AMG, Porsche, Aston Martin, Bentley, and other auto makers with Mobil 1. I won't use anything else but Mobil 1 in 5 cars, my Harley, and my boat (of course in the recommended viscocity/type for each). The dealer had no absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Last edited by GarbageMan; 04-26-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
Thanks!

Quote:
No. 0W-40 is an approved viscocity for use. (Check your owners manual) Of course, BMW recommends Castrol at every opportunity, as that's who they are allied with (since 1999). It is no different than MB AMG, Porsche, Aston Martin, Bentley, and other auto makers with Mobil 1. I won't use anything else but Mobil 1 in 5 cars, my Harley, and my boat (of course in the recommended viscocity/type for each). The dealer had no absolutely no issue whatsoever.
Mobil 1 is going to be. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Plus since I've started using it I have noticed the car warms up quicker and the turbos run cooler. Before switching the fans were always running after shutdown, now there has been numerous ocatations where the fans were silent after a short trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I am the same way, but i bring in the donuts and the box of Joe when I drop the car off. no sense trying to get on their good side AFTER they have already worked on your car.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0