BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Just_Joe_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

DCT - Idling

I live in a cold climate where sometimes, it's convenient (some would say necessary) to let the car idle to warm up. With the DCT, is it "safe" to leave the car (unoccupied) in neutral while idling with the parking brake on? I never let manual transmissions idle in neutral so I guess it's the same philosophy. So the real question is, can we trust the electronic parking brake to keep the car still on relatively flat surfaces?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Joe_M5 View Post
I live in a cold climate where sometimes, it's convenient (some would say necessary) to let the car idle to warm up. With the DCT, is it "safe" to leave the car (unoccupied) in neutral while idling with the parking brake on? I never let manual transmissions idle in neutral so I guess it's the same philosophy. So the real question is, can we trust the electronic parking brake to keep the car still on relatively flat surfaces?
You should never idle these cars (Ms in general, but 8 cylinders running in tight compressions) in cold weather just to warm the engine up. It's extremely bad for the longevity of the engine because of the way synthetic oil can get into places that is not meant to be. The M3 forum has had extensive discussion regarding this and the outcome every time was, "drive the car regardless of how cold the weather is and never warm it up on idle for several minutes". The rule of thumb is, I turn the ignition on, wait for RPMs to drop from 1200 to 800 (which takes about 5-6 seconds) and I drive. I shift below 3500 rpm, which helps getting oil temperature up there.

With the M3s which uses a different oil all together (10w-60) which is basically a very thick oil, this is even more important. M5 uses the standard 05w-30, but I'd still not idle warm the car for more than 10-15 seconds unless I have to.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

How long do you guys wait for the car to warm up before you drive a little more aggressively? In my AMG, it had a digital read out to where I could see the temp rise to the proper temp. In my old M, the yellow/red line would slowly creep up to normal range. In this car, it seems to take a while to get the needle to move at all. Granted it's been balls cold out since I've bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb
How long do you guys wait for the car to warm up before you drive a little more aggressively? In my AMG, it had a digital read out to where I could see the temp rise to the proper temp. In my old M, the yellow/red line would slowly creep up to normal range. In this car, it seems to take a while to get the needle to move at all. Granted it's been balls cold out since I've bought the car.
you can access a secret dash menu that will show you exact oil and coolant temp.
add up the last 7 numbers in your vin to find out your "code"
hold down the ODO reset button until a menu appears
to navigate the menu: short press to move down and long press to select
navigate to the unlock menu and enter your code then long press to select
then navigate to the temperature menu

so if you want an actual temp, it's there (but in deg C)

but you can just warm up the car and look at the normal temp gauge needle and make a mental note or the position

an AMG like menu would be nice (with the temp changing colors for cold, warm, hot

you can buy a p3 gauge if you don't want to bother with the hidden ODO menu

see my thread in the iDrive forum I have more info there re: all data the hidden menu makes available to you.
      02-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

on cold starts I wait for RPM's to drop to normal and drive moderately, shifting between 3,000 for initial 1-2 miles, then 3,500rpm until at normal operating temp.

the m5 has excellent cooling. I changed the oil from 5w-30 to German castrol 0w-30
it allows the car to warm up much faster than the factory oil weight.
      02-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
You should never idle these cars (Ms in general, but 8 cylinders running in tight compressions) in cold weather just to warm the engine up. It's extremely bad for the longevity of the engine because of the way synthetic oil can get into places that is not meant to be. The M3 forum has had extensive discussion regarding this and the outcome every time was, "drive the car regardless of how cold the weather is and never warm it up on idle for several minutes". The rule of thumb is, I turn the ignition on, wait for RPMs to drop from 1200 to 800 (which takes about 5-6 seconds) and I drive. I shift below 3500 rpm, which helps getting oil temperature up there.

With the M3s which uses a different oil all together (10w-60) which is basically a very thick oil, this is even more important. M5 uses the standard 05w-30, but I'd still not idle warm the car for more than 10-15 seconds unless I have to.
TOTALLY CORRECT never idle these engines, get in start and GO.
Mine takes 7/9 miles of 75MPH driving from stone cold, it never varies with temperature outside, always the same distance.
I do live next to the duel carriageway.
      02-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Wow, never knew idling was bad for the car. I've been idling for a few minutes recently since it got cold out, just to get the carm warm for my frozen ass. Thanks for the info, I'm going to read more up on this.
      02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I wonder why they hide all these cool features and make you decode the car to get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
you can access a secret dash menu that will show you exact oil and coolant temp.

but you can just warm up the car and look at the normal temp gauge needle and make a mental note or the position

an AMG like menu would be nice (with the temp changing colors for cold, warm, hot

see my thread in the iDrive forum I have more info there re: all data the hidden menu makes available to you.
      02-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

What about cooldown? I leave the car running after the use of the turbro. is that ok?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano
What about cooldown? I leave the car running after the use of the turbro. is that ok?
If you need to do a cool down (engine is over normal oper temp) just drive normally for about a mile or a little less at a decent speed.

There is no such thing as an idle cool down. You need air running through the intakes.
      02-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If you need to do a cool down (engine is over normal oper temp) just drive normally for about a mile or a little less at a decent speed.

There is no such thing as an idle cool down. You need air running through the intakes.
Absolutely, if you need to cool down, last thing you want is to sit on idle. Same goes for brakes. You need to keep driving as fast as possible in low revs.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Nope why?.
If you've slowed down for a mile or two then park, whats the point?.
      02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:

Once you access this menu, do you have to go through the same procedure every time to access it? Or does it stay up?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb
Quote:

Once you access this menu, do you have to go through the same procedure every time to access it? Or does it stay up?
Must go through same procedure to enable menu after every time the car is shut down and turned back over.

Here is a readout of the menus:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939218