05-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

My New Ride

hi all,

this is my new car. she's only 3 weeks old and I am learning to love it more and more each time I drive it. coming from the E92, it had a lot to live up to!

spec is SG with SO ext leather, Comp Pack, piano black trim, B&O, Adaptive LED's, M sports seats and lots more. I have added carbon angled Cyba tips, m-performance spoiler and the RKP front lip is on its way over the pond to me. here are a couple of shots
Attached Images

Last edited by M5essex; 06-01-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Love Singapore Grey. My SG M5 is three weeks old as well. I too came out of an E92. I'm happier with this car than any other before it.

How are you enjoying the torque? Also, are you making use of that secret compartment on your right at the bottom of the dash to put your wallet, sunglasses? I just found mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Love Singapore Grey. My SG M5 is three weeks old as well. I too came out of an E92. I'm happier with this car than any other before it.

How are you enjoying the torque? Also, are you making use of that secret compartment on your right at the bottom of the dash to put your wallet, sunglasses? I just found mine.
if you mean nearest the drivers door then yes, I found that compartment the other day too. although the M3 had one, I should have found it sooner!

yes, I love the torque. not having to change down to over take is bliss. the power is infectious and i'm really struggling to keep it under 5500 during the break-in period. ok, I'm lying, i've not kept it under 5500 much at all. few red lines, WOT moments.... I love it. I think there is some 'loosening-up' to be done though, as it still doesn't feel as quick as the loaner I had a few months ago... I had it for 3 days and was blown away. mine just feels 'quick'... i've done 950 miles now and having the run-in service done this week, as I have a longish trip next week. then I can open her up without the guilt. yes I know its not fully broken in til 3 or 5k blah blah but you know what I mean....

looking forward to fitting the front lip as it will improve the front appearance imo.

I know this sounds odd, but when I put throttle response in sport+, it doesn't seem to be as quick and torguey as when in just Sport. I have tried this several times at speed and at WOT just doesn't have the expected change in Sp+. is this in my head? in the M3, there was a noticeable difference in 'normal' to sport to sport +, but I don't find it so much or at all in the M5...?

a few minor rattles and squeaks and squeals but I will just have to tune them out of my head and ears or it will drive me crazy..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

I notice my exhaust sticks out a good extra inch more when hot... but I cant put the cyba tips back any further as the inner exhaust tube narrows down too much thereafter. plus the silver screws and nut show too much, so may be taking the tips off soon... any suggestions, other than cutting the bolt ends off?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
hi All,

this is my new car. she's only 3 weeks old and I am learning to love it more and more each time I drive it. coming from the E92, it had a lot to live up to!

spec is SG with SO ext leather, Comp Pack, B&O, Adaptive LED's and lots more. I have added Cyba tips, m-performance spoiler and the RKP front lip is on its way over the pond to me. here are a couple of shots
Beautiful; congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
I notice my exhaust sticks out a good extra inch more when hot... but I cant put the cyba tips back any further as the inner exhaust tube narrows down too much thereafter. plus the silver screws and nut show too much, so may be taking the tips off soon... any suggestions, other than cutting the bolt ends off?
I had the same problem. If you work the inner screw all the way down the nut, you should be able to get enough length to attach on the narrower part of the exhuast tube. When cold, the tips will just line up with the bumper. When it heats up, they are out a bit less than an inch or so.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
I think there is some 'loosening-up' to be done though, as it still doesn't feel as quick as the loaner I had a few months ago...
Actually, it has been proven that you lose 15hp off the engine every time you exceed 5500 prior to break-in.

Honestly, it is probably just a function of expectations vs. reality. It is similar to going to a movie or show that everyone has been raving about. It never seems to be as good. Your mind enhances the memory of those three days as you wait (im)patiently for the car to be delivered.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
I had the same problem. If you work the inner screw all the way down the nut, you should be able to get enough length to attach on the narrower part of the exhuast tube. When cold, the tips will just line up with the bumper. When it heats up, they are out a bit less than an inch or so.
Thx for the tip Drew. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Sweet color combination. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Enjoy it, looks good against the red brick too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP

Looks great. Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #13
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Cheers all
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
I know this sounds odd, but when I put throttle response in sport+, it doesn't seem to be as quick and torguey as when in just Sport. I have tried this several times at speed and at WOT just doesn't have the expected change in Sp+. is this in my head? in the M3, there was a noticeable difference in 'normal' to sport to sport +, but I don't find it so much or at all in the M5...?
No it's not odd and your feeling is correct.
During the brake-in period, the ECU protects the engine/transmission by putting the limitation on actual power and that's why you feel your car is not fast enough in Sport+. The launch Control is disable also. The full power will be released after brake-in service due to software update!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #15
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Car Looks great enjoy, is the car feeling more "planted" with the CP?.

I have just Ordered the M6 GC with CP, should be here September 1st can't wait.
      05-21-2014, 05:12 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

a few minor rattles and squeaks and squeals but I will just have to tune them out of my head and ears or it will drive me crazy..
"
I know this sounds odd, but when I put throttle response in sport+, it doesn't seem to be as quick and torguey as when in just Sport."

This is NOT right, Did you get the Oil to full temp before exceeding the 5500 RMP Range?.

The car should be "Silent" NO rattles or anything, get it looked at.
      05-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
No it's not odd and your feeling is correct.
During the brake-in period, the ECU protects the engine/transmission by putting the limitation on actual power and that's why you feel your car is not fast enough in Sport+. The launch Control is disable also. The full power will be released after brake-in service due to software update!
really? this is what I have assumed, but no one has proved or confirmed this to be the case... so if you are correct, the car's 'true' power and torque IS released after break-in service??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #19
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
"
I know this sounds odd, but when I put throttle response in sport+, it doesn't seem to be as quick and torguey as when in just Sport."

This is NOT right, Did you get the Oil to full temp before exceeding the 5500 RMP Range?.

The car should be "Silent" NO rattles or anything, get it looked at.
cheers John,

yep, always up to full operating temp before even revving passed 3,000 rpm.

as far as the CP feeling more planted.. I'd say yes. it is lower of course and stiffer for sure, compared to non CP but in Sp+ suspension it is a pretty hard ride, compared to Sp or comfort. far less body roll, but busts your balls at the same time on uneven road surfaces. wouldn't change it for the world back to non CP though, having driven a new non cp one last week while I had some work done...

I was 50/50 on the grand Coupe v's M5... the GC was sooooo luxurious and the interior was superior but I needed 5 seats and the M5 seemed to do that better than the GC. The M5 felt sportier to me too. The GC was also too long for my garage and car port

bet you cant wait for your new arrival
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
cheers John,

yep, always up to full operating temp before even revving passed 3,000 rpm.

as far as the CP feeling more planted.. I'd say yes. it is lower of course and stiffer for sure, compared to non CP but in Sp+ suspension it is a pretty hard ride, compared to Sp or comfort. far less body roll, but busts your balls at the same time on uneven road surfaces. wouldn't change it for the world back to non CP though, having driven a new non cp one last week while I had some work done...

I was 50/50 on the grand Coupe v's M5... the GC was sooooo luxurious and the interior was superior but I needed 5 seats and the M5 seemed to do that better than the GC. The M5 felt sportier to me too. The GC was also too long for my garage and car port

bet you cant wait for your new arrival
I am getting excited for sure, back to the M5, I would get a "back to back" drive as yours sounds as though a problem is there somewhere.
When I am driving in comfort at say 60MPH and press the M1 button which I have set too sport suspension/sport steering and Sport+ engine, i get a distinct urge forward as boost is higher.
Also in 7300 miles my Car has no rattles/creaks or other annoying sounds inside.
I am glad the CP has made a difference , the exhaust should sound a bit loader also.
Best regards J
PS) I never drive in Sport+ suspension anytime, to hard for me.
      05-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #21
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
When I am driving in comfort at say 60MPH and press the M1 button which I have set too sport suspension/sport steering and Sport+ engine, i get a distinct urge forward as boost is higher.
I have M1 set to Sport, Sport and Sport and M2 at Sp+for all. but I am going to change the suspension back to Sport.

when I cruise at 60 in say 5th in comfort/eco and hit M1, there is a surge. but when in M1 and sit at the same constant speed of 60, there is no further surge when hitting M2 (i.e Sp+ engine)... could this be the 'safety' feature 'M6-Coupe' was referring to, prior to break in service/software update?

in my M3, there was a noticeable surge when going from normal to sport and then again to sport +.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have M1 set to Sport, Sport and Sport and M2 at Sp+for all. but I am going to change the suspension back to Sport.

when I cruise at 60 in say 5th in comfort/eco and hit M1, there is a surge. but when in M1 and sit at the same constant speed of 60, there is no further surge when hitting M2 (i.e Sp+ engine)... could this be the 'safety' feature 'M6-Coupe' was referring to, prior to break in service/software update?
Not in my LCI M5 that I have noticed, so needs someone to check it IMO.