Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #67
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I'd pay $50k extra for it.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #68
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Two great looking F10 M cars. Is the pure silver worth the 10k? It's in the eye of the beholder/owner of the car. It's purely a subjective matter.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #69
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I like it. To some people 10k is just noise. Like buying a newspaper.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #70
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
RUBY BLACK. The other $10g color option / £6000k in UK

PMS reminds me of the other close-to-10g individual paint option that is super rare: Ruby Black. Elegant, Brilliant, Rare and Guaranteed to make my accountant weep as it depreciates like a stone like most options do.

One man's good value is another man's waste. What you pay for is rarity, labour costs and special paints. It's not essential (like an M5 is not essential) but if you can afford it, and it appeals to you, why not?

I am sure there are folks here who would argue it makes no sense to pay a $30,000 - $50,000 premium on a well specified 6 series than the 5 series upon which its mechanicals and many of its parts are based. But some of us do and don't regret it even if most folks on the street couldn't tell some BMWs apart.

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #71
dallas06m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 6MT SSII

Change approved!
      12-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #72
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I agree with the idea of paying a premium for special paints. On an M Car I think it is a must.

Personally I don't like PMS. I have seen it in person at the M Studio.

It does have the wet look that Greer describes. However to me this is a good color for a show car, but not for one that you are driving. The issue is the shinier the car the more visible water marks and dirt become. For anyone who cares about their cares appearance (which presumably is the target audience for this paint) PMS is an OCD nightmare.

Plus it doesn't actually look like metal - it just looks like an extremely shiny paint. It has a slightly warmer tone than true silver (as in Sterling Silver the metal not the BMW paint). I don't like the tint to the silver that PMS has.

In my opinion - the Frozen paints remain the best options for a street car due to their ability to look great for weeks between washes in all weather conditions. In addition I think they are more aesthetically pleasing because they look more like real metal as the lack of gloss brings out the metallic lustre in the sunshine.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #73
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

I think Silverstone is a more interesting color personally. Just a hint of blue
      12-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #74
Palomequet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I agree with the idea of paying a premium for special paints. On an M Car I think it is a must.

It does have the wet look that Greer describes. However to me this is a good color for a show car, but not for one that you are driving. The issue is the shinier the car the more visible water marks and dirt become. For anyone who cares about their cares appearance (which presumably is the target audience for this paint) PMS is an OCD nightmare.

Plus it doesn't actually look like metal - it just looks like an extremely shiny paint. It has a slightly warmer tone than true silver (as in Sterling Silver the metal not the BMW paint). I don't like the tint to the silver that PMS has.

In my opinion - the Frozen paints remain the best options for a street car due to their ability to look great for weeks between washes in all weather conditions. In addition I think they are more aesthetically pleasing because they look more like real metal as the lack of gloss brings out the metallic lustre in the sunshine.
To me, frozen painted cars look unfinished, I had a frozen M3 E90 and when new my little daughter asked me about when the car will be painted and in which color.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #75
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Looks like a normal grey color to me, but $10k just to say its a special grey, PRICELESS!!!!!!!
I think moonstone looks better than the pure silver.
      12-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #76
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I'm sorry, I think we are getting a bit carried away from the subject...but this is not about people being able to afford something or not...it is the power of brand owners and manufacturers in being able to suck out your money and being able to shove anything in buyer's throat!!!
It is called smart buying and being able to withstand the unnecessary crap ...
Porsche is in the same boat....doesn't really excuse BMW in doing this...and it doesn't make me any smarter if I buy something just for the sake of the fact that I can afford it...
Then why buy a BMW at all? Your argument holds no merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Porsche PTS is 5500 across the board. Most people on this board were launch customers for the M5. Don't stereo type be nice.
Really? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche charged much more than this for PMS. I must have read some bad info. Still, my statement was not rude, look at the people's profiles that are saying PMS is ridiculous, most of them do not have an F10 M5 listed as their "current ride."

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #77
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

This is a pointless discussion.

NO ONES OPINION (and that's all these comments are...including mine) matters.

If someone wants to spend money on something who are we to debate it? No matter how ridiculous one thinks it is.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #78
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
This is a pointless discussion.

NO ONES OPINION (and that's all these comments are...including mine) matters.

If someone wants to spend money on something who are we to debate it? No matter how ridiculous one thinks it is.
Seconded.
      01-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #79
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomequet
Quote:

To me, frozen painted cars look unfinished, I had a frozen M3 E90 and when new my little daughter asked me about when the car will be painted and in which color.
She's obviously not the brightest child!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #80
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh man....I'd add in a wink smiley to show your sarcastic joking.

Unless you guys know each other.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #81
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Then why buy a BMW at all? Your argument holds no merit.

Really? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche charged much more than this for PMS. I must have read some bad info. Still, my statement was not rude, look at the people's profiles that are saying PMS is ridiculous, most of them do not have an F10 M5 listed as their "current ride."
Nope paint to sample (PTS) upcharge 5500.00, and it could take a couple of months for Porsche to approve the color. I was going with Riveria Blue, but would have pushed my GT3 order out to 2015.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #82
Palomequet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
IMO

Quote:
Seems that if she is not, must be yours, but yours is frozen

Last edited by Palomequet; 01-02-2015 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #83
B5rider
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX GT

I would drive either of these if they were painted by a one-eyed color-blind tagger.
I think the colors are beautiful, but pictures don't do them justice. I would love to see them in person.
If you can afford a $10k paint job on a >$100k vehicle, I think you have the rest of your finances in order and can afford to click the option boxes as you see fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #84
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
[QUOTE=Imola.ZHP;17153991]Then why buy a BMW at all? Your argument holds no merit.

Are U Kidding me???!!!
that already tells me a lot about how brand manufacturers are successful at finding their "target market" for selling any crap at whatever cost!!!

there's certainly a fine line between being a smart buyer and just throwing your money away...
I can and will buy BMW and will enjoy the car to the extent that delivers value for money... but will certainly stay away from paying extra for something that plays no value or difference and sucks my wallet dry... your argument absolutely holds lots of merit!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #85
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
PMS reminds me of the other close-to-10g individual paint option that is super rare: Ruby Black.
Is the £6000 for PMS an actual quote from UK dealer? My sales manager estimated £5-6K for Brilliant White on the M5, so I can understand that £6K would apply to Ruby Black as a special order indy colour. I wasn't prepared to pay that much for Brilliant White as BMW offer Mineral White as a std metallic colour and, although not the same colour/finish, I couldn't see the additional value in Brilliant for the cost. I did ask if I could spec PMS (the deal I had done was fixed to a particular quarter), but never actually got a price back.

I would expect PMS to cost more than £6K in the UK? Would also be interesting to know how much BMW UK would charge for a PTS colour.

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-02-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #86
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Are U Kidding me???!!!
that already tells me a lot about how brand manufacturers are successful at finding their "target market" for selling any crap at whatever cost!!!

there's certainly a fine line between being a smart buyer and just throwing your money away...
I can and will buy BMW and will enjoy the car to the extent that delivers value for money... but will certainly stay away from paying extra for something that plays no value or difference and sucks my wallet dry... your argument absolutely holds lots of merit!!!
No, I'm not kidding you.

All cars are depreciating assets, the perceived value you receive from it depends on many factors. I don't know what the residual values are on an M5 but its ridiculous to think that a PMS second hand F10 M5 would not sell for more than a standard silver car. Residuals are based on original MSRP, so if per chance a 3 years old PMS F10 M5 is worth 50% of its original value (no offense if this is high or low, just for explanation purposes) then the end cost to the original owner is $5k. Perhaps it is worth it to the original owner, couldn't this same argument be had over optional ceramic brakes? Optional wheels? Competition package? It doesn't end.

One could even argue that trading up into a new car every few years is "throwing your money away" ask me, I've been driving the same BMW since 2006, my better half has been driving the same Honda since 2007. We'll sure appreciate it though when we retire early, we're both babies still and although we would like to trade the CR-V for an x5, it just doesn't make sense to us.

To each their own, but one shouldn't let someone else's decision to spend $10k on a paint job upset them so much. I would bet $10k is pocket change to most PMS buyers.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #87
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Is the £6000 for PMS an actual quote from UK dealer? My sales manager estimated £5-6K for Brilliant White on the M5, so I can understand that £6K would apply to Ruby Black as a special order indy colour. I wasn't prepared to pay that much for Brilliant White as BMW offer Mineral White as a std metallic colour and, although not the same colour/finish, I couldn't see the additional value in Brilliant for the cost. I did ask if I could spec PMS (the deal I had done was fixed to a particular quarter), but never actually got a price back.

I would expect PMS to cost more than £6K in the UK? Would also be interesting to know how much BMW UK would charge for a PTS colour.
The Ruby Black, Citrine Black, Brilliant White and other Individual colour options are listed on the UK price list at £5635 to £5800 to be exact. PMS is not yet listed but would be around that range or a bit more. Ruby Black is a stunningly elegant colour but I could not justify the cost when I could get a lot of other options for that ££ that I would use everyday - so specified the Head Up display, rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, LED adaptive headlamps, BMW professional speakers and Sun Protection Glass with my Ruby Black money.

It boils down to what you vale more. I have a mineral white 1-series as well, such an under-rated colour - it looks brilliant in the light (less pop than the AW and BW) and very elegant.

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #88
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
No, I'm not kidding you.

All cars are depreciating assets, the perceived value you receive from it depends on many factors. I don't know what the residual values are on an M5 but its ridiculous to think that a PMS second hand F10 M5 would not sell for more than a standard silver car. Residuals are based on original MSRP, so if per chance a 3 years old PMS F10 M5 is worth 50% of its original value (no offense if this is high or low, just for explanation purposes) then the end cost to the original owner is $5k. Perhaps it is worth it to the original owner, couldn't this same argument be had over optional ceramic brakes? Optional wheels? Competition package? It doesn't end.

One could even argue that trading up into a new car every few years is "throwing your money away" ask me, I've been driving the same BMW since 2006, my better half has been driving the same Honda since 2007. We'll sure appreciate it though when we retire early, we're both babies still and although we would like to trade the CR-V for an x5, it just doesn't make sense to us.

To each their own, but one shouldn't let someone else's decision to spend $10k on a paint job upset them so much. I would bet $10k is pocket change to most PMS buyers.
here in the UK, a "premium Colour choice" would NOT add much if anything to RV.