M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Andynev1982
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M5

Realities of M5 as a daily driver

So I'm almost certain that I'll be buying an F10 M5 as my next car. I have a couple of questions that you guys might be able to help me with - in short I'm wondering if it will be too much of a handful.

Let me explain...

I currently own a Z4 35is but have just found out we are expecting or first child so now need something with more than 2 seats and proper everyday practicality.

My wife and I will share the one car - we live in central London so don't need it for commuting etc - just weekend day trips and long haul up the motorway to see family / friends dotted around the country.

I've read a few reports that the M5 can be a bit of a handful. Clearly it is in a totally different league to the z4 power and torque wise.

I'd describe our current car as having a very useable amount of power - something my wife is very confident driving, docile when you want it to be, and unlikely to bite you on the ass or step out of line if you get a bit generous with the throttle.

In short - I'm wondering if I'm completely nuts even contemplating sticking the wife and new born in an M5 - I don't want her getting in a heap of trouble due to it being too easy to overcome the limits of its traction. I've read some reports that you'll be lighting up the rears in 3rd or even 4th, and that a spirited blast up an on ramp can quickly go south with rear end stepping out.

What I'm not sure of is whether this is with all the nanny's etc turned off. I'm hoping that with everything simply left in comfort / Economy / auto etc it will be docile enough for the wife to pick up a pint of milk in, without things unexpectedly getting out of hand.

Is this the reality or is it still wild even with all the settings right down?

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Why does your wife and new born need an M5?
Go for a nicely optioned 535 and put the money you save away for college.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver
+1
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
I would probably look at an M3 in London of I wanted the performance - that said I only lived there for 5 years and we found having our M3 was completely impracitcal given the speed restrictions and narrow roads in and around central London. I hate getting rim rash on my cars! We finally sold the M3 and bought a highly specified 320i, which was great. We currently have an M5 in CA and its a blast to drive on the open roads and highways..so if that's all the driving you're going to do, go for it! In all reality it's pretty hard to get into trouble with DSC on. Best of luck.

Last edited by MCarsFan; 01-18-2015 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Andynev1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver
Hi there - TBH wife and new born would be perfectly happy in a diesel Q3 - it's really me wanting to take the opportunity to pick up a car I've been keen on for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Andynev1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
I would probably look at an M3 in London of I wanted the performance - that said I only lived there for 5 years and we found having our M3 was completely impracitcal given the speed restrictions and narrow roads in and around central London. I hate getting Rim rash on my cars! We finally sold the M3 and bought a very highly specified 320i. Which was fine. We currently have an M5 in CA and its a blast to drive on the open roads and highways..so if that's all the driving you're going to do, go for it! In all reality it's pretty hard to get into trouble with DSC on. Best of luck.
That's helpful to know with the DSC on.

Know what you mean about central London - average 0-60 time = 1 hour! Best avoided wherever possible - fortunately 95% of our mileage is longer journeys - so a comfy cruiser would be ideal for that.

Jealous of your CA roads!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Living in the UK it really is hard to justify a car this powerful. You literally never get to use the power, in fear of the police an just congestion will kill you but it doesn't take genius to work that out. If it was me personally I would be looking at an X5/Range Rover. Big and luxurious, you'll need the space, trust me. Our current X5 can manage all of our stuff when staying with family. (Me the wife and the two boys aged 15 and 4). It used to be a struggle at times with the two suit cases, baby bag, cot, push chair. There are loads of things you need to take with you that would be a struggle in an M5. It's not so bad now that we don't have to take the cot, push chair etc and we manage fine in the M5. As for usability my wife frequently drives my M5, just keep everything in it's lowest setting and you could say it's docile but the throttle response is going to be a lot sharper than the Z4 and if you decide to turn DSC off, good luck

You would probably manage with the M5 but if it was my money I would look at an X5/Range Rover, they will be a lot better suited to the longer distamce journeys you say that you do frequently and something like an X5 40D would give you far better economy and a fair amount of power. If power is something then the M50D I would think is your best choice, I've not personally driven one but the X5 40D that I own is surprisingly quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Congrats on the kiddo!

More power to you for looking to incorporate something you're passionate about into your new life.

Kid's are a fantastic adventure but I believe it's important you maintain sometime for yourself, if they can enjoy/learn to enjoy it as well even better!

Only word of advice would be make sure you and your wife can comfortably ride in the M5 with the car seat you decide on. The footprint of a rear facing car seat (necessary until roughly 2yo stateside) can be quite substantial. Even when typically being behind the passenger seat you want to make sure the passenger can ride comfortable.

All that said - if I were you I would be looking at the RS4 or RS6 Avant - ultimate Dad car. Real shame they're not available here.

Instagram@particulardude

Last edited by particulardude; 01-18-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Andynev1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite
Congrats on the kiddo!

More power to you for looking to incorporate something you're passionate about into your new life.

Kid's are a fantastic adventure but I believe it's important you maintain sometime for yourself, if they can enjoy/learn to enjoy it as well even better!

Only word of advice would be make sure you and your wife can comfortably ride in the M5 with the car seat you decide on. The footprint of a rear facing car seat (necessary until roughly 2yo stateside) can be quite substantial. Even when typically being behind the passenger seat you want to make sure the passenger can ride comfortable.
That's a helpful tip thankyou. I should probably haul the seat and buggy across to test drives to make sure it all fits sensibly.

I'm rapidly learning that there are almost as many options in the buggy world as there are in the car world lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Knicks_fan2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Exactly why are people responding to the OP with what would be better for his long term family finances? That wasn't the question posed and he mad clear that the family would be sharing one car.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Hi

Don't listen, go the M5!

When I did my OE 15 years ago I had a E34 m5 in London E1, and no kids, only used in the weekend for trips - fantastic...and it didn't have traction control!

My wife can drive mine no worries, in comfort with ESC on piece of cake, super safe.

The only option would be 335d Msport wagon, they are cool!

Cheers
stu
      01-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Our M5 is my wife's daily driver. We chose the M5 with consideration of likely having our first child. We now have a 6 month old, which travels in the M5 exclusively. We have no regrets with choosing the M5. As has been documented numerous times, the M5 has two identities - it can be as docile as a 535 in comfort settings, or a beast in Sport+ settings. I am not intimately familiar with London, but would assume (as others have pointed out) that the M5 may be rather restricted in your setting.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Congrats. We have a 9 month old and are currently in a 335i xdrive. However it's too small - boot is too small, and the backseat cannot accommodate a rear facing recaro seat properly (Chicco keyfit 30 infant seat is the best for 3 series but our baby has outgrown it in 9 months). I have always wanted a M5, and I'm using this opportunity to get one. Have it on order for ED in May. My wife does not drive and we live in NYC. That being said, the boot of M5 is huge and can accommodate a lot (including those uppababy strollers and lots of other things). However, the car can be a handful to drive at times and with a newborn it was one of my concerns. However, I noticed that without the competition package, the car was more docile and ride was smooth. Winter tires are a must on this thing in cold weather - if you get the M5 don't skimp there.

All in all, have a test drive in the car and let your wife drive. If I was a new driver or not too confident, I would stay away from M5 especially with a newborn. Otherwise, good luck and enjoy the car.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth

Last edited by E90potentialbuyer; 01-18-2015 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

My M5 is my daily. For me it's perfect. Though, had the X5M been out, I would have opted for it instead. But I have no regrets.

I'm not familiar with London... But if it's truly an urban setting (tight streets, parking challenges, congestion, etc... I'd personally go with the M3, RS4 Avant.

No matter...you can't go wrong. Best of luck and good luck.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

i would get it
i use my car as a dd
my daughter is now 5
i love it, her britax seat (bulky) , but fits is the middle
i think this is the safest position

the upside, i love the car
the downside, she hates the noise and the acceleration

she loved my old 2006 m5, so did i

good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
My wife and new born use the M5. The britax seat does fit in the middle the best. Not super easy to get in and out, but doable.

However, we do have a LWB Rover that we use more often than not when with the kid. Just easier. I got the M5 because I can take the kiddo with me when needed and it's always workable as a second option.

When not in Sport mode and you dont drive like a JA, then the car is very comfortable and docile, even with RPI GTS exhaust, no complaints from the baby.

Is it best option? Probably not. Is it doable and you could live with it? Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #17
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynev1982 View Post
That's helpful to know with the DSC on.

Know what you mean about central London - average 0-60 time = 1 hour! Best avoided wherever possible - fortunately 95% of our mileage is longer journeys - so a comfy cruiser would be ideal for that.

Jealous of your CA roads!
Get what you want and you will be happy, if you compromise you will probably regret your choice.
Enjoy.
      01-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
Sic'eM 5
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

W
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #19
Sic'eM 5
Rep

Tech difficulties
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Sic'eM 5
Rep

My M5 finally came in when my daughter was 2 weeks old. We immediately loaded the car and went driving through Texas for the holidays, didn't even think once that the car was too "dangerous" for driving the family.

As others mentioned, DSC will keep you on the road if you have to get aggressive with the throttle, steering or brakes.

If you drive too aggressive I have no doubt you can easily lose control. If you drive like a "normal" person, you will never feel as you are holding the reigns of a wild animal.

But when you hit the gas in MDM mode..... Fun fun fun

We installed the car seat behind the driver and my wife sits behind the passenger seat (I'm the chauffeur)

Get the M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
For your situation, if possible, go with the X5. It is much more practical, roomy and safe with decent ground clearance. It'll also feel more comfortable with the kids in the back coz unlike the M5, it has real legroom and also easier to get in/out. The X5 also has seemingly sturdier leather when compared to the M5. Driving-wise, they're worlds apart and obviously built to serve different needs. My wife has the X5 and I drive the M5, so, this is based on personal experience with the two vehicles.
      01-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
rocky
Private First Class
Rep

having kids myself.....id go with the M5.,,, very safe vehicle and as long as you exercise safe driving habits (which you should notwithstanding the kids) you will be fine.
Appreciate 0