M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
challer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Considering buying a Used F10 M5 - What should I know?

Background:

Currently own a '14 BMW M235i and love it. I bought it just before I found out my wife and I's first child was on the way and want something with four doors. Looking for something that'll keep me smiling, M or nothing, but a little more practical, hopefully for less than 80k out the door.

My options are basically a current generation M3, new (can't find any that are current generation and Used or CPO with low miles) or a Used M5. I've been told there's not a huge difference between the current generation M3 and M5 in terms of rear seat room and that what the M5 may lack in agility compared to the M3, it drives like a smaller car, has a better interior and after 130 MPH walks the M3, anyway.

I've got some questions before I pull the trigger and am hoping current owners can help.

1. Are there any big gotchas with the current generation M5 in terms of components prone to malfunction, etc.

2. If I buy the M5 used, not CPO, from a non-BMW dealer, can I take it to a BMW dealer and pay some amount money to have the M5 certified?

2a. If so, how much could it run me? Is it cost effective?
2b. Could I take the M5 to a BMW dealer to see if it was eligible to be certified prior to purchasing the vehicle?

3. There's a number of used M5's that are MY 2013-2014 with <30k miles for 67.5-75k. I know every car's different, but generally speaking is that more likely to be a depreciation hit on an otherwise great car or a money pit with an engine waiting to explode?

4. Is it possible to finance a used M5 purchased from a non-BMW dealer through BMW FS?

5. Any quirks, fun facts, nuances or things you wish you knew before you bought your current generation M5?

I'd love to go with a CPO M5 if you couldn't tell, I just don't know if I want to pay that much for a car. All of the ones I've been able to find have >50k miles and are often 20-30k more expensive compared to the used M5's that aren't certified with lower miles.

Am I missing something? Any gotchas?

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hi Challer! I'm only going to answer your questions in a view of a 2014 M5 owner and also a car sales person so I do know a few things about the car business

1. 2014 and newer M5s are solid cars they did change a few things in them mainly technology and front lights that makes it attractive to people looking to own a current generation or F10 M5s.

2. The answer to all this is NO. BMW dealer will not re-certify a vehicle if it's already been purchased from somebody else like a private party or a another non-BMW dealer. They will not certify it however they can inspect it for you for a fee of course and let you know if needs anything or if there's a major issue with it.
To be honest I would but this vehicle as a CPO and yes it will cost you more but I'm a big believer in buying a CPO vehicle since it's already inspected and brought to BMW standards plus you get a big warranty.

3. All vehicles depreciate an M5 will depreciate faster in the beginning but then it will flatten out in value in a few years. Again these cars are solid and if you maintain them and take care of it no worrying about exploding engines lol! LOOK FOR SERVICE RECORDS BEFORE BUYING!! That's my advice.

4. The answer to that is NO. Only BMW dealers car finance you through BMWFS but why is that a big deal anyway?! Other banks offer very good rates in most cases better than BMWFS. Again I advise that you buy a CPO BMW M5 through a BMW Dealer.

5. Not really, Can't answer this question, I'm around these cars a lot and I love them.

I would suggest you look into BMW dealers maybe not just in your area but also here in Charlotte, NC. I work for Hendrick Automotive Group and we have some good trades that come in all the time. Just keep an eye out for these cars and don't buy anything unless you're 100% comfortable with everything!

Good luck my friend and hope I'm able to help any.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
challer
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome response. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

M235i

Before buying my M5 CP I drove an M135i. Testing an M3 in comparison I was underwhelmed. The M3 felt slower at low revs and not that much quicker overall. The biggest difference I could detect was better, more sophisticated damping with less body roll. I was expecting the M3 to eclipse the M135i but in fact the opposite happened and I ended up holding the M135i in even higher regard.

I then elected to try an M5. The M5 felt quicker over the whole range....devastatingly fast .....it doesn't feel quite as agile but does feel more planted and secure when driven quickly on a winding road and literally flies out of corners on dry roads. It also feels very secure on wet tarmac but can sucker you in when the roads are damp with big shakes of the tail when the torque overcomes available grip. This is when you come to appreciate the electronic nannies
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:30 AM   #5
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post
Hi Challer! I'm only going to answer your questions in a view of a 2014 M5 owner and also a car sales person so I do know a few things about the car business

1. 2014 and newer M5s are solid cars they did change a few things in them mainly technology and front lights that makes it attractive to people looking to own a current generation or F10 M5s.

2. The answer to all this is NO. BMW dealer will not re-certify a vehicle if it's already been purchased from somebody else like a private party or a another non-BMW dealer. They will not certify it however they can inspect it for you for a fee of course and let you know if needs anything or if there's a major issue with it.
To be honest I would but this vehicle as a CPO and yes it will cost you more but I'm a big believer in buying a CPO vehicle since it's already inspected and brought to BMW standards plus you get a big warranty.

3. All vehicles depreciate an M5 will depreciate faster in the beginning but then it will flatten out in value in a few years. Again these cars are solid and if you maintain them and take care of it no worrying about exploding engines lol! LOOK FOR SERVICE RECORDS BEFORE BUYING!! That's my advice.

4. The answer to that is NO. Only BMW dealers car finance you through BMWFS but why is that a big deal anyway?! Other banks offer very good rates in most cases better than BMWFS. Again I advise that you buy a CPO BMW M5 through a BMW Dealer.

5. Not really, Can't answer this question, I'm around these cars a lot and I love them.

I would suggest you look into BMW dealers maybe not just in your area but also here in Charlotte, NC. I work for Hendrick Automotive Group and we have some good trades that come in all the time. Just keep an eye out for these cars and don't buy anything unless you're 100% comfortable with everything!

Good luck my friend and hope I'm able to help any.
I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. I have bought 3 M3's and a X5M. I live near Hendricks BMW. While they have great service and service advisors, their prices are ridiculously overpriced. All 4 of my M's I bought at gravel car lots, ( joke) and Hendricks honored the warranty. Which they should. I even decided to extend the warranty through Hendricks, which I recommend. I two, am in the market for a M5.
      01-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

CPO is over-rated.

just make sure the car has factory warranty and you will be fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
challer
Private First Class
Rep

It does for four thousand more miles!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I wish I had known about bmwvin before I made my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Background:

Currently own a '14 BMW M235i and love it. I bought it just before I found out my wife and I's first child was on the way and want something with four doors. Looking for something that'll keep me smiling, M or nothing, but a little more practical, hopefully for less than 80k out the door.

My options are basically a current generation M3, new (can't find any that are current generation and Used or CPO with low miles) or a Used M5. I've been told there's not a huge difference between the current generation M3 and M5 in terms of rear seat room and that what the M5 may lack in agility compared to the M3, it drives like a smaller car, has a better interior and after 130 MPH walks the M3, anyway.

I've got some questions before I pull the trigger and am hoping current owners can help.

1. Are there any big gotchas with the current generation M5 in terms of components prone to malfunction, etc.

2. If I buy the M5 used, not CPO, from a non-BMW dealer, can I take it to a BMW dealer and pay some amount money to have the M5 certified?

2a. If so, how much could it run me? Is it cost effective?
2b. Could I take the M5 to a BMW dealer to see if it was eligible to be certified prior to purchasing the vehicle?

3. There's a number of used M5's that are MY 2013-2014 with <30k miles for 67.5-75k. I know every car's different, but generally speaking is that more likely to be a depreciation hit on an otherwise great car or a money pit with an engine waiting to explode?

4. Is it possible to finance a used M5 purchased from a non-BMW dealer through BMW FS?

5. Any quirks, fun facts, nuances or things you wish you knew before you bought your current generation M5?

I'd love to go with a CPO M5 if you couldn't tell, I just don't know if I want to pay that much for a car. All of the ones I've been able to find have >50k miles and are often 20-30k more expensive compared to the used M5's that aren't certified with lower miles.

Am I missing something? Any gotchas?

Thanks everyone.
Gotta say, CPO M5 is the way to go, IF you plan on owning the car a long time or past it's warranty for sure.

Most of the 2013 and 2014 M5's all have a 4-year warranty or 50k miles. Once you're past that, you're on your own. If you buy a CPO, it's 6-years or 100k miles. M5s are not cheap and if anything were to need to be replaced out of warranty, it costs, not hundreds, but thousands....

If your headlight stops working, it's about $4k. Your A-arm gets damaged? $2500. And so on. I posted a minor accident I was in and the car was still drivable with ZERO problems in the iDrive, and the bill was nearly $30,000 to make it 100% and back under CPO.

These cars are damn expensive. My engine coolant warning kept coming on last week even though it was full. Turns out the sensor or fuse was damaged. Repair bill was $1,300. Again, CPO meant the only thing I paid was my time it took to drop off the car, and my loaner was a 528i...

Make sure you buy a CPO if you want peace of mind!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Remember you have until the original factory warranty expires to buy an extended warranty. I bought a 4 year/50k mile extension for my 2013 M5 so now I am covered for a total of 8 years/100k miles platinum coverage.

That is better than CPO. So buy the car you like with the options you want whereever you want then get an extended warranty when the original one is about to expire.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

I bought an extended warranty with mine as well, was roughly about 5k at purchase. Does the third party warranty cover the car if it is tuned? I was wondering and couldn't find an answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karney5 View Post
Gotta say, CPO M5 is the way to go, IF you plan on owning the car a long time or past it's warranty for sure.

Most of the 2013 and 2014 M5's all have a 4-year warranty or 50k miles. Once you're past that, you're on your own. If you buy a CPO, it's 6-years or 100k miles. M5s are not cheap and if anything were to need to be replaced out of warranty, it costs, not hundreds, but thousands....

If your headlight stops working, it's about $4k. Your A-arm gets damaged? $2500. And so on. I posted a minor accident I was in and the car was still drivable with ZERO problems in the iDrive, and the bill was nearly $30,000 to make it 100% and back under CPO.

These cars are damn expensive. My engine coolant warning kept coming on last week even though it was full. Turns out the sensor or fuse was damaged. Repair bill was $1,300. Again, CPO meant the only thing I paid was my time it took to drop off the car, and my loaner was a 528i...

Make sure you buy a CPO if you want peace of mind!
I strongly agree with this statement. Just think how long you plan to keep the car and it will determine how much warranty you will need.

you can purchase third party warranty but its not always guaranteed you'll get the coverage you are need.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Remember you have until the original factory warranty expires to buy an extended warranty. I bought a 4 year/50k mile extension for my 2013 M5 so now I am covered for a total of 8 years/100k miles platinum coverage.

That is better than CPO. So buy the car you like with the options you want whereever you want then get an extended warranty when the original one is about to expire.

winner winner chicken dinnner.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
I bought an extended warranty with mine as well, was roughly about 5k at purchase. Does the third party warranty cover the car if it is tuned? I was wondering and couldn't find an answer.
Did you purchase a BMW extended warranty or third party? Could you share the cost of extending the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

reliable as hell, better gas mileage than the E60 and i have never put any oil in it like previous m's
Appreciate 0