M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

I'm having these two problems with my car - anyone else? (details inside)

1) The B&O is one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever spent. I already had that feeling, but now the speaker grills are rattling (which I can hear when the stereo is off). Anyone else having this problem?

2) My NAV is terrible. Twice in the last few days it's taken me to the wrong address. It gets the street correct but has taken me to somewhere that's like 400 numbers away from where I plan to go. It's like it's shifted or something from time to time. But it's not every time. I've triple checked the addresses.
Anyone else?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Sorry to hear bro. I haven't had either problem with mine. Yeah if I had to do it all over again I'd prolly not get the B&O and get the Drivers Assistance Package instead. I do like the look of the B&O though, so it was probably that combined with the high fidelity if the B&O that did it for me. So far I'm enjoying the B&O very much though. I blast the music as much as I can. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

I didn't upgrade to b&o, so I can't comment on it. I will say the nav isn't as reliable. It was a lot better in my audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Sorry to hear so far NAV works far better than my 2006 650ic, and no comment on the B&O. The upgrade vs. the non upgrade just didn't for me when I drive I mainly listen to talk radio. I like to have a glass of wine when I enjoy music so the car music didn't appeal to me. Hope you get it all worked out. Happy Turkey Day
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
1) The B&O is one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever spent. I already had that feeling, but now the speaker grills are rattling (which I can hear when the stereo is off). Anyone else having this problem?

2) My NAV is terrible. Twice in the last few days it's taken me to the wrong address. It gets the street correct but has taken me to somewhere that's like 400 numbers away from where I plan to go. It's like it's shifted or something from time to time. But it's not every time. I've triple checked the addresses.
Anyone else?

Thanks in advance!
No issues with my B&O. Sounds like a warranty issue.

Regarding Nav - this is a well known issue with all BMW Nav since 2010. They switched the mapping provider to another provider which offered better graphics. So we now have better graphics than Lexus does, but worse maps. Unfortunately not much we can do - it is part of the burden of owning a BMW these days.

It does vary by region. I have never been sent to the wrong place in Florida or Georgia. I fell victim to this in Europe. However I have heard in other parts of the country the nav data is horrendous.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'v only seen people complaning about the nav database in the US. I've not had any issues with mine in the Uk to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Sorry to hear bro. I haven't had either problem with mine. Yeah if I had to do it all over again I'd prolly not get the B&O and get the Drivers Assistance Package instead. I do like the look of the B&O though, so it was probably that combined with the high fidelity if the B&O that did it for me. So far I'm enjoying the B&O very much though. I blast the music as much as I can. Lol!
I didnt get the B&O and now this reinforces my decision. All I remember about the B&O was Dave rocking out to Chris Brown as he went around The Welt. Sounded great outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I didnt get the B&O and now this reinforces my decision. All I remember about the B&O was Dave rocking out to Chris Brown as he went around The Welt. Sounded great outside the car.
Personally I am a big fan of the system. With quality content and encoding, it's sounds fantastic.

This is the first time I am hearing about speaker rattle. I am sure it is a one off. Otherwise there would be long threads on the regular 6 series and 5 series forums.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
ucla95
Striker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
I didnt get the B&O and now this reinforces my decision.
Smart move for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
ucla95
Striker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Regarding Nav - this is a well known issue with all BMW Nav since 2010. They switched the mapping provider to another provider which offered better graphics. So we now have better graphics than Lexus does, but worse maps. Unfortunately not much we can do - it is part of the burden of owning a BMW these days.
Wow, terrible. I've had many prior BMWs and never had a terrible NAV like this. I'd rather have accuracy than graphics.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
I think the B&O sounds fantastic. I did a side by side comparison before buying...and the B&O is a huge improvement. For factory installed, it doesn't get much better.

You ain't missing much with the DA package. If I had to do over, I'd probably skip it. Surprisingly, the one DA feature I really enjoy is the speed limit info in the HUD. It's really cool and kind of nice to have a gentle reminder of just how much you are currently breaking the law ;-)
      11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Wow, terrible. I've had many prior BMWs and never had a terrible NAV like this. I'd rather have accuracy than graphics.
No kidding. Same issue with the maps on my iphone5. Completely useless overseas. No address or poi info at all. Huge fail. Google maps on iPhone 4 worked great in every country I tried it in.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
+1 - seemed like a high priced option to me since Im not a music guy, most of the time I listen to sports radio.

BMW should offer more options a la carte
      11-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Wanted to report problem free with B&O. No nav issues that I've noticed. I usually use it as a reference to get me in the area, and then look for the right address.
      11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I love the B&O, however I occasionally get a rattle from speaker vibration and I am getting a speaker distortion from the center channel at high RPM caused by the "active sound" Not pleased about this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Quote:
I think the B&O sounds fantastic. I did a side by side comparison before buying...and the B&O is a huge improvement. For factory installed, it doesn't get much better.

You ain't missing much with the DA package. If I had to do over, I'd probably skip it. Surprisingly, the one DA feature I really enjoy is the speed limit info in the HUD. It's really cool and kind of nice to have a gentle reminder of just how much you are currently breaking the law ;-)
I'm glad to hear you say that. I never compared the B&O to the standard sound system in the M5. Truth is I am an audio guy. I love listening to music while I drive. I have only been using Bluetooth and XM radio in the car so far though. I have yet to try a regular CD and I currently in the market for buying some DVD Audios for the 6 disc changer in the glove box. I think once I LOL in a regular CD I'll be able to really appreciate the system much more. The only problem is that I haven't bought a regular CD in years and I don't know where any of my old CD's are. I think I'm gonna go but some mix CD's or something with current music that I like. I also have yet to put any music on the internal hard drives. So much to do! Lol! But so far everyone that has ridden in the M5 with me has been super impressed by the B&O.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Just buy a couple blanks and burn a mix from your iTunes collection. Cheap and easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Happy I did the B&O no rattles and no Nav issues (yet?) although I agree not as good as the 2012 Audi I rented outside of Munich. Audi Nav was much slower though.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Quote:

I'm glad to hear you say that. I never compared the B&O to the standard sound system in the M5. Truth is I am an audio guy. I love listening to music while I drive. I have only been using Bluetooth and XM radio in the car so far though. I have yet to try a regular CD and I currently in the market for buying some DVD Audios for the 6 disc changer in the glove box. I think once I LOL in a regular CD I'll be able to really appreciate the system much more. The only problem is that I haven't bought a regular CD in years and I don't know where any of my old CD's are. I think I'm gonna go but some mix CD's or something with current music that I like. I also have yet to put any music on the internal hard drives. So much to do! Lol! But so far everyone that has ridden in the M5 with me has been super impressed by the B&O.
Throw your iTunes library on a USB stick. Also, subscribe to MOG and download some of your favorite tunes. MOG downloads are 320kbps (high quality) and should be listened to by plugging your phone in to the USB - Bluetooth audio isn't great.
      11-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #20
PappSchlumpf
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

I don't have the B&O, I believe it is just a waste of money, as for the Nav... I live in Luxembourg and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
DMC126
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5/2013 M5 6MT

iPod Integration

If you own an iPod, install and sync the iPod as an External Hard Drive through the car's iPod USB adapter. You will then have the ability to select artists, playlists, genres, and view album art work on the car's display and have the total functionality of the iPod. I use an iPod Classic 160GB with my entire iTunes Music Library ripped directly from the CDs as Apple Lossless Audio files. The resulting quality of sound is about the best possible. I have found that if you do not rip directly from the CD the sound is sometimes compromised, often quite noticeably.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

As many of you know, I originally was going to omit the B&O after listening to it in the 650i. Then I changed my mind and ordered it. I'm glad I did. It is a very nice sounding system. I just wish the speaker grills in the doors fit without the plastic surrounds like in the 6-series.

The nav system is a mixed bag. It's not as good as the old nav in my old E60, but a definite improvement in accuracy over the navigation in the wifey's 2010 X5.
Appreciate 0