M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #23
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

MB really went balls out on the interior of the new c63.

too bad the outside is well, sad.

nice m5 color!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #24
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
What are the specs on the C63S you just traded in? How many miles?

I just got back from my second test drive of one and it's a great car! I think I might even prefer it over the F80.....

Well, maybe.

I had about 14K miles on it. It was the basic 63S with the AMG Performance Exhaust, AMG Seats with red stitching, Night Styling (blacked out chrome), and red accents on the exterior. Pretty much loaded with all the other tech stuff like Park Assist, etc. 503 HP twin turbo V8. I preferred it over the F80 at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #25
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I had about 14K miles on it. It was the basic 63S with the AMG Performance Exhaust, AMG Seats with red stitching, Night Styling (blacked out chrome), and red accents on the exterior. Pretty much loaded with all the other tech stuff like Park Assist, etc. 503 HP twin turbo V8. I preferred it over the F80 at the time.
Nice build!

I'm curious to see what they're going to list it for. I'll probably inquire.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #26
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Probably close to 60K.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
What are the specs on the C63S you just traded in? How many miles?

I just got back from my second test drive of one and it's a great car! I think I might even prefer it over the F80.....

Well, maybe.

I've always been a bmw fan but honestly the new c63 really is something special. At first i wanted a f80 m3 but after test driving it i thought it lacked "character" and that special feeling. Felt way too synthetic if that makes sense. Don't have any experience with the new c63 but from videos it seems to be what im looking for. It seems like it has that special character to it unlike the f80.

How is the cabin noise level in the c63? The new m3 that i test drove had really bad tire noise and bad sound insulation for its class. Sure it's a performance car but it still is a road car lol

Going by reviews the c63 is supposed to be a quiter cabin compared to the m3 but i wanted to get your opinion
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTSRY1905 View Post
I've always been a bmw fan but honestly the new c63 really is something special. At first i wanted a f80 m3 but after test driving it i thought it lacked "character" and that special feeling. Felt way too synthetic if that makes sense. Don't have any experience with the new c63 but from videos it seems to be what im looking for. It seems like it has that special character to it unlike the f80.

How is the cabin noise level in the c63? The new m3 that i test drove had really bad tire noise and bad sound insulation for its class. Sure it's a performance car but it still is a road car lol

Going by reviews the c63 is supposed to be a quiter cabin compared to the m3 but i wanted to get your opinion
I agree with your assessment on the interior noise on the F8x chassis. The tire roar is atrocious on some roads and by far the most annoying thing. I went from an F10 M5 to an F82 and it is the one thing that drives me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #29
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Well in the C63 the road noise was there. I would rate it about the same as the new M3. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either if that makes sense. I'm sure it was the Michelins because it got more apparent as the tires wore down.

As for character, the C63 was alive and had emotion. That interior felt burlesque and you will be intoxicated with the exhaust. It was special and felt organic all the time. The M3 came off as a sterile and cold. Lacking emotion and empathy for the driver in comparison to the AMG. But, if all you know is BMW M cars, you wouldn't notice this at all.

A slight tangent...it was a tossup between the F10 M5 and a GT350 Mustang. I almost got the Mustang. So close. But I really wanted four doors and I wanted an M5 again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #30
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Quote:
Sure...

I'll start with the seats. I like the seats in the AMG better. The side bolsters are adjustable and overall the seats are incredibly comfortable. I'm 6 ft 195 lbs if that helps.

I would give the nudge to the AMG in ergonomics and convenience for the entertainment system. The volume slider is on the center console which negates the need to raise your arm to adjust it. For convenience, I really liked having two USB ports and a SD Card slot in the console compartment. Plus you could add your own custom routes to the Nav with a .gpx file. That came in handy for the local CCA driving tours.

The Burmester system is slightly below the BO in the M5. It might be due to the M5's sound insulation in the cabin. Both are great in my opinion though.

For the suspension, of course the AMG is overall more harsh even in Comfort mode. Comparing similar suspension modes against the M5 I would say the M5 feels more compliant over bumps.

Steering wheel feel (to the touch) I would rate dead even. I had the alcantara-like covered wheel in the C63s with the racing stripe. But while driving, the hydraulic steering in the M5 is obviously better vs the EPS in the Merc. I feel like I need to get back in the gym after trying Sport Plus (yikes).

The obligatory exhaust note of the AMG is what seduced me in the first place. I definitely miss that. I wish that every performance arm would not underestimate what those organic pops and bangs do for the driver. The M5 simply can't touch it in stock form.

The transmissions felt within the same league to me (MCT vs DCT). There's much hate thrown the AMGs way about how the transmission holds it back. I simply disagree. The shifts in the AMG are very quick and keeps the power down when you need it. It just feels like an organic car rather than a synthetic one. These two cars are the first I've had with electronically assisted locking differentials, and you can feel it too. It feels great to feel the rears lock up with great quickness vs a mechanical diff. You really feel planted in corners if you don't overload the traction.

Did I miss anything?
Sounds like you liked the C63 better. Why'd you change?

I was planning on a C63 as my next car, but then I got a lease quote.

$1500 per month on a C63 with an $80K sticker vs. $1200 per month on an M5 with $110K sticker. Plus the C class is a little small for my needs.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #31
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Damn, nice camera work man. You make a Pre-LCI M5 look like a 2016 model year M5!

On the AMG-C63S, what a beautiful car. So refined, makes a much better street and daily driver car with it's luxury and comfort over the M3. I love the separation between the M3, where as the M3 is more sporty, less comfort, and more track focused, but the AMG is more luxury, more comfort, and although a bit heavier than the M3, still manages to overcome the M3 on the track.

I also had the pleasure to ride in an open top 1960's Roush Mustang Cobra kit car with 620hp during a car rally here in SoCal back in March. At one point during the rally we were on a long open straight mountain road where there was much opportunity to pass even though it was a single lane road. My friend driving the Roush powered Cobra decided to slow down in order to do a near top speed run, but in so doing and as it happened, there was both an F80 M3 and an AMG C63-S behind us that decided to exploit the opportunity to pass us on the left. Ultimately my friend gunned the Cobra just as the F80 and C63-S were right next to us, but my friend slowed down in order to let them get in front out of good will. However, in so doing, and being that we were in an open top car, I had a perfect opportunity to hear both the F80 M3 and the C63-S in all their wide open throttle glory. The F80 M3 had the M Performance Exhaust on it and the C63-S had an exhaust on it that was aftermarket and of unknown origin. In summation, I could barely hear the F80 M3 at all, despite it being directy in front of us and me being in a car without a roof where I could hear everything. The C63-S on the other hand sounded absolutely glorious and fantastic. The downshifts from that AMG Twin Turbo V8 were truly awesome. Anyways, that's my story for today. AMG wins.

Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #32
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Nice story - Having made the move from a F10 M5 to a E63S, all I can say is that sound is intoxicating. One press of the push button and it brings a smile.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Well in the C63 the road noise was there. I would rate it about the same as the new M3. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either if that makes sense. I'm sure it was the Michelins because it got more apparent as the tires wore down.

As for character, the C63 was alive and had emotion. That interior felt burlesque and you will be intoxicated with the exhaust. It was special and felt organic all the time. The M3 came off as a sterile and cold. Lacking emotion and empathy for the driver in comparison to the AMG. But, if all you know is BMW M cars, you wouldn't notice this at all.

A slight tangent...it was a tossup between the F10 M5 and a GT350 Mustang. I almost got the Mustang. So close. But I really wanted four doors and I wanted an M5 again.
How was traction in the C63? Did you get as much wheelspin as in the M5?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #34
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Sounds like you liked the C63 better. Why'd you change?

I was planning on a C63 as my next car, but then I got a lease quote.

$1500 per month on a C63 with an $80K sticker vs. $1200 per month on an M5 with $110K sticker. Plus the C class is a little small for my needs.
I have a sickness for cars. That's the only sane answer I can give you. My C63 sticker was $87K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
How was traction in the C63? Did you get as much wheelspin as in the M5?
The traction is predictable in the C63. Admittedly I didn't do any burnouts but I did get sideways sometimes. Again, the electronic diff is some pretty good stuff. I don't think a mechanical one could lock up as fast to balance the car out.

In the M5, I haven't spun the tires yet. Still getting used to driving on public roads with it. My only experience with it was at the M Schools.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a sickness for cars. That's the only sane answer I can give you. My C63 sticker was $87K.

The traction is predictable in the C63. Admittedly I didn't do any burnouts but I did get sideways sometimes. Again, the electronic diff is some pretty good stuff. I don't think a mechanical one could lock up as fast to balance the car out.

In the M5, I haven't spun the tires yet. Still getting used to driving on public roads with it. My only experience with it was at the M Schools.
I wish they made a torque vectoring AWD version of the C63S. That would be phenomenal.

What did you get back for your C63S? I am curious how they depreciate.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d
Quote:

Thanks for the reply

Gotta take it for a test drive. Gotta admit i am leaning towards the amg at the moment
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #37
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Quote:

I agree with your assessment on the interior noise on the F8x chassis. The tire roar is atrocious on some roads and by far the most annoying thing. I went from an F10 M5 to an F82 and it is the one thing that drives me crazy.
Yea the f10 platform is really solid and quiet. Drove a 528xi loaner once and that thing was S Class quiet.

The new f80 platform seems like it would get annoying after awhile. The exhaust on them isn't doing them any favor either
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #38
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

who are we kidding--we'd all love to drive a 600whp F8x and throw it around the track!

But for everyday driving for a married man, there is nothing better than an M5
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #39
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
I wish they made a torque vectoring AWD version of the C63S. That would be phenomenal.

depreciate? lol

any amg or m is going to lose 15k right off the lot, and 10k per year after.

(yes, being sarcastic, while being honest)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #40
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Yeah. Brutally honest. Not for the faint of heart.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #41
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
Quote:

depreciate? lol

Well that's not terrible. My jag is down $30m in one year.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #42
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
Quote:

depreciate? lol

Umm. Not really interested in dumb contentless responses. Have owned several M cars myself I know the drill that there is a lot of depreciation.

What I'm interested in is specifics so I can get a sense of the relative performance of the AMG and the M.

AMG has historically been better at managing supply than M.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #43
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Alright F10 vets.

What can I do about that amber reflector on the front bumper? I would like it body colored, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Order a second set and take it to a body shop?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #44
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Alright F10 vets.

What can I do about that amber reflector on the front bumper? I would like it body colored, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Order a second set and take it to a body shop?
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755925
Appreciate 0