M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

06-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
iM5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Which dealer would you take your M5 for service in the NYC area?

Quickly approaching the 1200 mile service interval and having had bought the M5 from the left coast, I've had little experience with NYC area dealerships. Which one would you highly recommend to take your M5 to? Would prefer a dealership that would extend loaner car courtesy, prompt scheduling (vs leave the car all day or more for a service that takes 1-3 hrs) and not take a 20 mile joyride.

Aside from the oil/filter/differential oil replacement, are there any other recommended to do's for a 2014 M5 CP?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

For my E60, I used Wide World of Cars up in Rockland, but that is a haul from the City. I currently use BMW of Westchester and used them for several cars in the past. I have been very happy with them and they are fairly easily accessible since they are close to the White Plains Metro North station. It isn't walking distance, but they have a shuttle service.

I do not think you will find any dealer in the NYC area that will provide a loaner if you did not buy your car from them. Loaners come from sales, not service. That is why I uded Wide World for service for the E60.

I have heard horror stories about BMW of Manhattan, but have never tried them myself. But, if you need the convenience, I would think they are you best bet for something as simple as the break in service.

Despite what many people will claim and certainly want to believe, there is no magic service done at 1200, there is no re-programming and it does not "open up" the car. It is a simple fluids change.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I don't have any experience with BMW Manhattan but if you are anywhere in midtown Manhattan, then, that should be your most convenient location which is around the NE corner of 57th Street and 11th Ave. I have had experience for a tire sensor replacement at BMW Rallye in Westbury, probably the biggest dealership in Long Island. They were out of BMW loaners when I came which was around 10:30AM, however, there is an Enterprise car rental in the same building they are in and they rented for me at their expense, a Ford Explorer SUV (no BMW rentals) which was fine.

On my 1 year regular service, I went to Habberstad BMW in Huntington Station, also in Long Island. I don't know about their loaners but I told them that my office is just 3-4 miles away and they drove me back to work (with their driver in a BMW car) and asked me to call them to be picked up when I am available to get my car in the afternoon. Reason for my using the BMW service centers in Long Island is because that's where I work and the most convenient location for me.

I believe any BMW service center in the NYC metro area should be more than adequate to service your BMW.
      06-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Willie_Beamen69
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

I bring my car to life quality bmw in Brooklyn, have no other choice being that's the only one close to me. Their not the best but also not the worst. Scratched up my fender a little one time I told them about it and they quickly buffed it out, had my 1200 mile service done in 3-4 hrs, dropped off the car in the morning and when I got out of work it was ready. They don't provide you with a loaner if you did not purchase the car from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsanity88 View Post
They don't provide you with a loaner if you did not purchase the car from them.
I don't think this is BMW policy and if that is the case, I will avoid dealing with that dealership/service center and bring future business to some other BMW dealer. I did not buy my car at BMW Rallye in Long Island yet they provided me with a loaner, albeit, a rented one, as they were out of BMW car loaners -- so now they have me as a future customer and will highly recommend them to friends and relatives.
      06-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I can't speak to BMW policy, but I can speak to my experience ands that is that the dealerships I have gone to for service only provide loaners if you buy the car from them. The loaner is considered a sales incentive to get you to pirchase the car - not a service incentive. The loaners are paid for by the service department in most dealerships.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I don't think this is BMW policy and if that is the case, I will avoid dealing with that dealership/service center and bring future business to some other BMW dealer. I did not buy my car at BMW Rallye in Long Island yet they provided me with a loaner, albeit, a rented one, as they were out of BMW car loaners -- so now they have me as a future customer and will highly recommend them to friends and relatives.
I agree completely. The service department is run separately from the sales department, they are stand-alone businesses within the dealership. The sales guys will say that you need to buy from them to get a loaner in order to pressure you into buying from them. The reality is the service department needs to make money. If a service advisor tells you no loner is available because you did not buy the car from that dealership, then ask to speak to the service manager and explain that you'll take your service business elsewhere. That usually works.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
iM5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

The wife ended up scheduling with BMW Manhattan and the first available was a week and half out. She said the facilities were nice and it was a really busy service dept. but we still managed to pick up at 4pm having dropped off at 10:30am.

Notes:
Simple fluids change, no software updates mentioned.
They would charge to check alignment - thought bmw had free alignment up to 2k miles?
Requested no car wash and they complied.
Mileage in/out was the same, guessing no test drive.
Ask for a quart or two of oil to keep in the trunk - they said they would charge me...

Simple enough break-in service, didn't want the wife to stick around and deal with the differences in policies that we've been told by other owners.

Might call around a few other service depts to see what their policies are but I wouldn't rule out coming back.

Now it's time to find the best roads to unleash the beast!
Appreciate 0