BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Desertdweller
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Frozen Black vs Black Sapphire Metallic

Have to finalize my build soon. Frozen colors are starting to really grow on me. I've read old threads, seems like mixed reviews on maintaining the paint with these cars. Some say harder, others much easier. Dealer states frozen black 5K.

Anyone who has had frozen colors that can comment on long term durability?

Any other thoughts between the black sapphire and frozen black?

Rest of car will be:

Comp pack with new 601M wheel design
Exec pack
B & O
LED lights
Full Sakhir Orange
Piano black trim

One of the better pics I've seen highlighting the frozen black color:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/8...91ba72da_o.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

I think frozen colors are much easier to maintain overall. The only part to note, if you look at the photo you linked, on the far right and left sides of the rear bumper, see the shiny part?

Now part of that is due to lighting, and the angle the photo was taken.

But...if you wash frozen colors in automatic car washes, you are likely to get some slightly polished/shiny areas in certain lighting, if you don't mind that, its definitely easier to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Frozen black is awesome, but it's personal preference.
      08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Desertdweller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13 View Post
I think frozen colors are much easier to maintain overall. The only part to note, if you look at the photo you linked, on the far right and left sides of the rear bumper, see the shiny part?

Now part of that is due to lighting, and the angle the photo was taken.

But...if you wash frozen colors in automatic car washes, you are likely to get some slightly polished/shiny areas in certain lighting, if you don't mind that, its definitely easier to keep clean.
I see your point in the photo. Are we talking brushless car washes too? How about just washing yourself, is it still easy to put too much friction on the paint and give sort of a patchy shine to certain areas?

Seems that the flat clear coat might actually hide swirl marks more easily though? (just checked out used black sapphire at dealer and swirls were everywhere on that car).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

I had a Frozen Black E92 M3 and can say that they are very easy to take care of. I was just paranoid of bird s**t and the like; FB shows dust like a mofo. With frozen colors swirl marks dont exist.

If you do it, I would highly suggest the Swissvax products as they did an awesome job.
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

you have to find one and see it in person... I really wanted to like this color but was dissapointed in it in person... I think this color needs to be on a smaller car. I have seen about 10 different frozen cars in person over the past year... white and grey look best, then blue and silver.. I did not care for bronze or black.

I ultimately shied away from a frozen color because of cost... 5k for the color and another 3-5k to have it properly wrapped for protection (expel ultimate stealth)... cant buff or polish out a scratch or touch up a rock chip the same as you can a full clear coated car. At the speed my M5 will be driven, the likelihood of this happening is high.

Finally, as any reputable CA will tell you, BMW has no real idea how well the frozen will hold up... the oldest are like 3 years old at this point.

By the way black sapphire metallic is gorgeous - my 3 series and my Bike are both that color. I would have ordered my M5 that color but it would have been too weird to have 3 vehicles in my garage all the same color.
      08-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

I have yet to see anything that resembles a swirl mark, just some slight shiny spots in certain lights, which I dont even think really looks bad. I live in a condo, there is no place really to wash my car, so the only washes my car has seen are automatic or brushless. I go brushless when I can. I also put on a full clear bra. If you are keeping this car >5 years, I am not sure how it will hold up, no one has one that old yet. If you like it, and you are keeping the car a normal amount of time, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

I've had my frozen white M5 since last December. With the Xpel Stealth clear bra I've had zero issues with the paint. I did Targa Trophy and had so many rock chips in my windshield that I ended up replacing it but the clear bra heals up amazingly well.

Long story short, if you're going to go frozen spend the extra couple grand for the clear bra and save yourself the headache of having to repaint down the road.

I love the frozen look and would get it again in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Desertdweller
Private
Rep

Would you guys be less inclined to do ED with a frozen paint then on account of not being able to clear bra before bugs, etc hit front?

As far as clear bras, is expel stealth the least visible on frozen?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller View Post
Would you guys be less inclined to do ED with a frozen paint then on account of not being able to clear bra before bugs, etc hit front?

As far as clear bras, is expel stealth the least visible on frozen?
BMW does whatever it takes to redelivery your car in mint condition. You can drop it off with chips and have no chips when you get it back.

Personally I wouldn't do frozen black - shows dirt too much and to me the slightly shiny satin black finish looks like a wrap. Also it is the most common wrapped matte color so somewhat overdone.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 08-11-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

we sold a frozen black M5 earlier in the summer and in person it was stunning! It looked very aggressive. Sapphire looks great but after seeing the frozen black in person I think me personally would go for the frozen black

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
we sold a frozen black M5 earlier in the summer and in person it was stunning! It looked very aggressive. Sapphire looks great but after seeing the frozen black in person I think me personally would go for the frozen black
As a dealer do you think frozen cars retain their premium in the secondary market? How well do the finishes hold up when you see them return after 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I can't honestly say that I have extensive knowledge on how the frozen colors hold up over time but I can say that this car http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407854 which was the first frozen M3 in the states is still in great shape. Actually this car has been the owners DD since the day he picked it up. (it also has a stroker motor in it as well if you can believe lol)

I ask him every time I see him and he states that the frozen paint is actually easier to maintain then regular paint in his expierence.

As far as resale value goes I wouldn't put a higher dollar amount on it over a regular painted M but im sure on the open market there are people that are willing to pay a little more to get the frozen paint.

Frozen paint looks great on some BMW models and others it just doesn't flow. The f10 M5 IMO pulls it off great.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

frozen ,black, any black, looks like ass on the m5 unless you black out all the silly chrome.

but with blacked out kidney grilles, side gills, corner markers, door andles AND exhaust tips (black chrome?) the frozen black would look "mean".
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
tico12
tico12
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG; awaiting 2014 M5

Once again, it's personal taste.

I am fine with black, any black, having chrome highlights. If you keep silver stock wheels, then having chrome highlights on grille, door handles, and pipes looks consistent to me. I think blacking everything out on a $100,000+ car appears a bit juvenile, IMHO.

If the car is a lighter color then the black pipes & grill will have a better contrast.
2009, C63 AMG, Pall. Silver/Oyster
2014, M5, AB/Silverstone. ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
If FB and BSM are my only two choices, I'd pick FB. It's more unique.