Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

'15 M5 One Month Observations and Questions

I'll ask the questions up front so that they don't get lost in the thread.
Has anyone experienced a buzz in the steering column? Its very annoying on certain road surfaces, and not nice for a brand new $100K car.
It only happened once on a poorly surfaced back road weeks ago (so I didn't mention it during the 1200 mile service), but it then happened ONE day after that, on interstate! I now have a 1000 mile round trip this week, and am hoping I don't hear it again.

Two, is it normal to hear the rear suspension working on a bumpy street? I wouldn't call it rattles, but just more noisy than any recent BMW, including a 335is and Z4 on runflats. I assume its the directly connected subframe.

Now the good news, I have thoroughly enjoyed the luxury and performance of the car, whether commuting or interstate trips, or blasting through back roads with friends. I've not had a chance to really get into it since the break in service except brief runs on on-ramps, so I can't comment whether I feel more power now or not. Its either too cold, too wet, or too much SLOOW traffic. I don't understand why people take 2 city blocks to go 0-35, and then zoom up to 50 on the next down hill.

Twice I have done a 1-2 shift on throttle, and had traction control really KILL the power. There is definitely an art to giving it just enough but not too much throttle for max acceleration in first or second.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I'll ask the questions up front so that they don't get lost in the thread.
Has anyone experienced a buzz in the steering column? Its very annoying on certain road surfaces, and not nice for a brand new $100K car.
It only happened once on a poorly surfaced back road weeks ago (so I didn't mention it during the 1200 mile service), but it then happened ONE day after that, on interstate! I now have a 1000 mile round trip this week, and am hoping I don't hear it again.

Two, is it normal to hear the rear suspension working on a bumpy street? I wouldn't call it rattles, but just more noisy than any recent BMW, including a 335is and Z4 on runflats. I assume its the directly connected subframe.

Now the good news, I have thoroughly enjoyed the luxury and performance of the car, whether commuting or interstate trips, or blasting through back roads with friends. I've not had a chance to really get into it since the break in service except brief runs on on-ramps, so I can't comment whether I feel more power now or not. Its either too cold, too wet, or too much SLOOW traffic. I don't understand why people take 2 city blocks to go 0-35, and then zoom up to 50 on the next down hill.

Twice I have done a 1-2 shift on throttle, and had traction control really KILL the power. There is definitely an art to giving it just enough but not too much throttle for max acceleration in first or second.
Both the steering vibration and the rear suspension are well talked about issues with the F10 M5. I'm not going to call them problems, since it seems to be hit or miss. I've never experienced either before and I'm at nearly 50,000 miles.

Also, you have nailed it my friend. It IS an art. My best advice is that if you really want to fight traction issues is to try to install 305mm tires or install the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, but then can't drive in the rain with the Cup 2's. Traction is vastly increased with the Cup 2's, and slightly increased with 305mm tires. There is a reason why the new head of BMW M has stated that AWD is in the plans for the next generation M5.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I'll see how it is in warmer weather before doing any tire swaps. The big trip is to Daytona Beach FL for the 24Hrs of Daytona race next weekend!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

the rear suspension rattling noise first came into light back in the spring 2012 (first European delivery). I thought this has been fixed at the point of production in early 2013.

BMW SIB 330113 Rear Axle

SUBJECT
Rattle from Rear Suspension over Rough Road Surfaces
MODEL
F10 M5
With the S63T engine
Produced to 3/2013
SITUATION
A rattling noise is heard from the rear suspension over rough or uneven road surfaces. This noise may be more
prevalent when the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) setting is set to “Comfort” mode.
CAUSE
Rear coil springs may create an unfavorable contact noise during suspension travel, due to the progressive
characteristics of the M5 suspension.
CORRECTION
After verifying customer’s complaint, replace the rear coil springs (refer to the Spring Table in EPC) and both
front and rear auxiliary dampers for the shock absorbers (bump stops)

Last edited by bobblehead; 01-20-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Both the steering vibration and the rear suspension are well talked about issues with the F10 M5. I'm not going to call them problems, since it seems to be hit or miss. I've never experienced either before and I'm at nearly 50,000 miles.

Also, you have nailed it my friend. It IS an art. My best advice is that if you really want to fight traction issues is to try to install 305mm tires or install the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, but then can't drive in the rain with the Cup 2's. Traction is vastly increased with the Cup 2's, and slightly increased with 305mm tires. There is a reason why the new head of BMW M has stated that AWD is in the plans for the next generation M5.
Hi RPiM5
Just reading your comments on fitting the 305s on the rear, something I want to do as this tune is running massive torque. I've seen you comment a few times about not using the Michelins Cup 2s in the rain.. Not that it rains much in CA - we have a drought on- but are you saying that they are seriously bad?
I have already been to my local tire store to have a look and I just want to get some more advice before I pull the trigger here..
Also these will fit the standard. 20" rims.. 343's - I chose to go with them when getting the competition package as I heard that the 601s buckled more easily...
Thanks.
      01-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:

Hi RPiM5
Just reading your comments on fitting the 305s on the rear, something I want to do as this tune is running massive torque. I've seen you comment a few times about not using the Michelins Cup 2s in the rain.. Not that it rains much in CA - we have a drought on- but are you saying that they are seriously bad?
I have already been to my local tire store to have a look and I just want to get some more advice before I pull the trigger here..
Also these will fit the standard. 20" rims.. 343's - I chose to go with them when getting the competition package as I heard that the 601s buckled more easily...
Thanks.
Yes they make Cup 2's in a size that will fit the stock 343M's. There's a guy in Puerto Rico who has fitted them on his M5 a little while ago. You really shouldn't drive with them in the rain. They are basically semi-slick track tires with a couple of tread lines. However with that said, I'm sure that there are 991 GT3 and C7 Z06 owners who have driven with them in the rain and not hydroplaned all over the place. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes they make Cup 2's in a size that will fit the stock 343M's. There's a guy in Puerto Rico who has fitted them on his M5 a little while ago. You really shouldn't drive with them in the rain. They are basically semi-slick track tires with a couple of tread lines. However with that said, I'm sure that there are 991 GT3 and C7 Z06 owners who have driven with them in the rain and not hydroplaned all over the place. Lol!
Thanks for that, when I've destroyed these 295s I will get the 305s.
      01-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Many people have complained about steering wheel vibration only to find out its the lane departure warning which vibrates the steering wheel if you touch the road lines you sure thats not what you are dealing with? If not, have your dealer balance the tires. Not uncommon for stick on weights to fall off.
Appreciate 0