M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhanemMBN View Post
This is impossible, next time you go there, put it on 5th gear and dyno test it again. Because the 1:1 ratio is on 5th gear. If you run it under 5th, ull get BIG numbers, but not real.
You are 100% correct. Btw, I saw your post about PP. They run the same software that I am talking about. Same developer. We have mutual friends. Very good shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM5 View Post
If it comes with 634.7 hp out of the box, BMW wouldn't have published it at 560 hp !
You got it. The engine can be made to supply a lot more power quite easily, however the DCT transmission will not handle it. The Dyno numbers you see are not reliable. No one uses the correct parameters on this car. It is a different animal than previous cars and other BMW turbo models.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I find it odd that you aren't concerned about changing the DPs, the exhaust and running a tune, but are warning owners about running the car on the dyno because of warranty issues? Seems a little 'backwards' to me.
Bish
Yep. It would seem backwards I suppose. I am not claiming that mine will not void warranties. Fact is that I do not know. I do know how BMW feels about Dyno runs. Will it be an issue? Who knows? If it concerns you then heed it. If not, do your thing.

My software, DP and exhaust will still pass emissions. That was my biggest concern frankly. All I will tell you is that nothing I am doing is likely to be a real big issue for me. again, that does not meant that you will not have warranty issues. I don't know. You would need to ask BMW.

Last edited by ColdList; 02-27-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

I wait for the day that BMW doesn't void are warranty for tunes,running dyno tests, exhaust, wheels, ect. And they give us the top speed of 200mph and let us use launch control as much as we want. That will be the day....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
I wait for the day that BMW doesn't void are warranty for tunes,running dyno tests, exhaust, wheels, ect. And they give us the top speed of 200mph and let us use launch control as much as we want. That will be the day....
hahahaha! No kidding!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
84H
Newbie: quick learner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
I actually may be able to get you documentation to verify. Let me make an inquiry. It will come right from BMW. Yes, they can tell. Please, I don;t need everyone asking where it is. IF I get it I will post it. I do not have a direct contact. I have to go through a third party.

Honestly, I am not going to discuss the software on my car publicly on here any more because I am not going to engage anyone as to validity any longer. Very frustrating. Yes, they have made it hack proof intentionally.
Are you ok???
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
Putting the car on the dyno won't void warranty.
As always if you do something stupid (over-rev, tampering etc) you'll have to consider the consequences.
Also repeating the same stuff over and over again doesn't make it any more truthful/credible but I guess on the Internet everyone is an M engineer or attractive blond...

Well it is kind of like you spewing out this "opinion" that you formulated from nowhere. So to firm up the question about Dynos and warranty issues, and to eliminate any sense of speculation and questioning, you will be able to check with your BMW dealer shortly as BMW has officially implemented the policy and is in the process of releasing a bulletin to US dealers. The only thing I cannot tell you with certainty is whether or not they will be able to apply warranty voids "retro" to the time at which the policy was established.

There you have verifiable fact. No need for further speculation. Unless this decision is overruled for some reason, you will be able to verify this very shortly with your dealer.

Btw...I wonder if you can surmise where policies like these are born from? Where do you think BMW and other manufacturers gather information that gets them saying "hmmmm"? Hint: You don't have to look far.

I am definitely not an M engineer but my Dyno processes information comes from someone in a position quite a bit beyond "engineer" these days. As stated before, I know this is a no win discussion with most people on the boards. Believe what suits you and disregard the rest but don't discredit information useful to others because you have randomly dismissed its validity. Some people really do know things and are willing to share for the good of others, which I believe is really the spirit of the boards

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Well it is kind of like you spewing out this "opinion" that you formulated from nowhere. So to firm up the question about Dynos and warranty issues, and to eliminate any sense of speculation and questioning, you will be able to check with your BMW dealer shortly as BMW has officially implemented the policy and is in the process of releasing a bulletin to US dealers. The only thing I cannot tell you with certainty is whether or not they will be able to apply warranty voids "retro" to the time at which the policy was established.

There you have verifiable fact. No need for further speculation. Unless this decision is overruled for some reason, you will be able to verify this very shortly with your dealer.

Btw...I wonder if you can surmise where policies like these are born from? Where do you think BMW and other manufacturers gather information that gets them saying "hmmmm"? Hint: You don't have to look far.

I am definitely not an M engineer but my Dyno processes information comes from someone in a position quite a bit beyond "engineer" these days. As stated before, I know this is a no win discussion with most people on the boards. Believe what suits you and disregard the rest but don't discredit information useful to others because you have randomly dismissed its validity. Some people really do know things and are willing to share for the good of others, which I believe is really the spirit of the boards
Sure thing.
I believe it when I see actual proof from you on many of your "claims"
BMW can certainly tell any change in parameters/resistance/measurements and if they don't correlate in a way it makes sense to them (ie tunes/piggy back etc) . They also have ways to log certain information in spaces inaccessible to tuners (in the past certain tuners would flood the DME with thousands of exhaust flap errors to "push" out other logged events) . As soon as your car is connected to the BMW diagnostic system and a case is opened with HQ they will see the data (the dealer can't do anything to intercept this process , besides not to plug in your car) .
I wonder how you will distinguish from a car accelerating or running on a (properly setup) dyno. But than again you know so much none of us mere mortals I will wait with baited breath. In the event of real proof I am happy to eat my own words (ie your mods , warranty etc) ... until them I will be skeptical. Being vocal and stating the same over and over again doesn't make it any more true. Case closed for me for the time being.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
jmh
United_States
Rep

So just to save you some legwork ... I am fairly certain the top secret items ColdList is talking about are parts developed by the German tuner Noelle . They are a great shop and have a very good reputation.
However they are in the same boat as any other tuner in regards to warranty / coverage , ie aftermarket.
They have a program for the M5 available at
http://www.noellemotors.de/en/produc...e-s63-tue.html
For their stage 2 and 3 you will also buy new downpipes and rear mufflers developed by Boyes who also do contract work for BMW.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #32
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Sure thing.
I believe it when I see actual proof from you on many of your "claims"
BMW can certainly tell any change in parameters/resistance/measurements and if they don't correlate in a way it makes sense to them (ie tunes/piggy back etc) . They also have ways to log certain information in spaces inaccessible to tuners (in the past certain tuners would flood the DME with thousands of exhaust flap errors to "push" out other logged events) . As soon as your car is connected to the BMW diagnostic system and a case is opened with HQ they will see the data (the dealer can't do anything to intercept this process , besides not to plug in your car) .
I wonder how you will distinguish from a car accelerating or running on a (properly setup) dyno. But than again you know so much none of us mere mortals I will wait with baited breath. In the event of real proof I am happy to eat my own words (ie your mods , warranty etc) ... until them I will be skeptical. Being vocal and stating the same over and over again doesn't make it any more true. Case closed for me for the time being.
You should crawl right back under that rock. If you really had any clue where this same from you would be red-faced.

Honestly, you just stated correctly above that "They also have ways to log certain information". THIS is how they can tell. There are tables that are compared. The freaking Dyno specs on this car are documented in a 26 page book for goodness sake. How naieve can you be here? Yeah, it goes DIRECTLY to BMW Germany. The dealers have a heck of a lot less knowledge and CONTROL than people expect. At least you and I can agree on this.

Your repeated DENIALS of everything don't make THEM any more credible. You pulled all of your negativity out of your butt, throw it around and declare "case closed". Perhaps you should apply that thinking to yourself before discrediting things. I wouldn't repeat any of this if guys like you didn't make unfounded comments that come from absolutely ZERO insight.

If you don't believe things then move on. Really comical. I am willing to bet that you are over there doubting the BMW downpipes and exhaust I mentioned too. Funny stuff. Held them in my own hands. Can't think of better proof. As soon as I get permission I will post some pics so you can have validity.

I really don't find it very productive to be this nasty with each other but I am not going to take abusive lashings either.

Listen, as I posted on another board, I know by writing this stuff I sound like a freaking know it all and someone who thinks he knows everything. Truth is, I am a regular really nice guy who happens to have a load of time on his hands and building these cars has just become a hobby of mine (I use the term "building" loosely. To me that means buying stuff and having someone else install it). I know NOTHING about the inner workings of the car. Heck, I couldn't change my oil if I had to. I just happen to have a very unique association with someone who is an upper echelon guy in relation to BMW Germany. He is responsible for many of the technologies in today's BMWs. I take his word at face value because really I cannot imagine questioning him. Other than that, honestly I couldn't "prove" anything except that I personally receive the products and install them on my car and the car is exceptional. The information about Dynos I have seen as well. The BMW Dyno thing and warranties I was told about in advance and today I got word that it went through. If it turns out to be bogus information I will gladly eat my words too. It just makes no sense that it would be, coming from this individual. Nothing in the past has ever proven to be inaccurate. He is so highly reputable and passionate about these cars. Believe me, as a car nut, getting to speak to him the first time was one of those "magic" moments in life.

I know it is hard to believe things that people write sometimes on here and frankly I really understand the cynicism. I would likely have the same initial thoughts. I am sure you read the first thread I wrote about my software and then saw Manhart jump in and say "It does not exist". Then I jumped on him for questioning mine and told him that his did not exist. We ended up on the phone together and really hit it off. During our second conversation, we discovered that we had the SAME tune. So does ACS, PPI, and several others. Got a good laugh out of it.

Honestly, I don't want to create tension between you and I. Just PM me anytime and I will gladly connect you with the products if you want. I am very happy to help. I hate that I can't share information that really many people would never have access to, and be sort f chastised for it. I know that is probably not your intent and from my standpoint no hard feelings whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #33
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You should crawl right back under that rock. If you really had any clue where this same from you would be red-faced.

Honestly, you just stated correctly above that "They also have ways to log certain information". THIS is how they can tell. There are tables that are compared. The freaking Dyno specs on this car are documented in a 26 page book for goodness sake. How naieve can you be here? Yeah, it goes DIRECTLY to BMW Germany. The dealers have a heck of a lot less knowledge and CONTROL than people expect. At least you and I can agree on this.

Your repeated DENIALS of everything don't make THEM any more credible. You pulled all of your negativity out of your butt, throw it around and declare "case closed". Perhaps you should apply that thinking to yourself before discrediting things. I wouldn't repeat any of this if guys like you didn't make unfounded comments that come from absolutely ZERO insight.

If you don't believe things then move on. Really comical. I am willing to bet that you are over there doubting the BMW downpipes and exhaust I mentioned too. Funny stuff. Held them in my own hands. Can't think of better proof. As soon as I get permission I will post some pics so you can have validity.

I really don't find it very productive to be this nasty with each other but I am not going to take abusive lashings either.

Listen, as I posted on another board, I know by writing this stuff I sound like a freaking know it all and someone who thinks he knows everything. Truth is, I am a regular really nice guy who happens to have a load of time on his hands and building these cars has just become a hobby of mine (I use the term "building" loosely. To me that means buying stuff and having someone else install it). I know NOTHING about the inner workings of the car. Heck, I couldn't change my oil if I had to. I just happen to have a very unique association with someone who is an upper echelon guy in relation to BMW Germany. He is responsible for many of the technologies in today's BMWs. I take his word at face value because really I cannot imagine questioning him. Other than that, honestly I couldn't "prove" anything except that I personally receive the products and install them on my car and the car is exceptional. The information about Dynos I have seen as well. The BMW Dyno thing and warranties I was told about in advance and today I got word that it went through. If it turns out to be bogus information I will gladly eat my words too. It just makes no sense that it would be, coming from this individual. Nothing in the past has ever proven to be inaccurate. He is so highly reputable and passionate about these cars. Believe me, as a car nut, getting to speak to him the first time was one of those "magic" moments in life.

I know it is hard to believe things that people write sometimes on here and frankly I really understand the cynicism. I would likely have the same initial thoughts. I am sure you read the first thread I wrote about my software and then saw Manhart jump in and say "It does not exist". Then I jumped on him for questioning mine and told him that his did not exist. We ended up on the phone together and really hit it off. During our second conversation, we discovered that we had the SAME tune. So does ACS, PPI, and several others. Got a good laugh out of it.

Honestly, I don't want to create tension between you and I. Just PM me anytime and I will gladly connect you with the products if you want. I am very happy to help. I hate that I can't share information that really many people would never have access to, and be sort f chastised for it. I know that is probably not your intent and from my standpoint no hard feelings whatsoever.

Yawn.
Not red faced at all.
Your insults don't make you any better.
I am not even going to dignify your rant with a response
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yawn.
Not red faced at all.
Your insults don't make you any better.
I am not even going to dignify your rant with a response
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."
-Benjamin Franklin

We can remain at odds. No more comments here either.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

I guess you guys should just stand on your board reputation and the proven accuracy of what you've posted in the past...

Or anyone can look at your cars and the modifications you have accomplished on them (and help other board members with), and get a sense of who really knows BMW, and the M5, best.
      02-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot
I guess you guys should just stand on your board reputation and the proven accuracy of what you've posted in the past...

Or anyone can look at your cars and the modifications you have accomplished on them (and help other board members with), and get a sense of who really knows BMW, and the M5, best.
I am new to this board but not new to the competing board. I openly will assist anyone in obtaining any of the products I have mentioned. Really doesn't need to be done in some kind of competition. I don't care who knows more. Neither of us are really that important in the end. I will however put my car side by side with anyone FOR FUN. :-)

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #37
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

Thanks for being a voice of reason.
Just to add some more info on the Noelle story I just added some info and pics to the thread at
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=17
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #38
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
(15 of 38 Posts).
I suspect if there was a (meaningful) mesg, it has now been lost.

How this thread makes me feel:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #39
mcgm5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' GMC Savana, 13' BMW M5

although I doubt that its an issue to dyno the vehicle YOU own.

its actually really easy for BMW to see that the car was dynoed with a simple check of the ECU through the data port.

If a car is dynoed there will be a huge difference in the wheel speed sensors which can easily be verified. Rear wheels going 155mph while the front wheels are stopped. (or are rolling 5mph). Wheel speed sensor's are continually being monitored while the car is running either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #40
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgm5
although I doubt that its an issue to dyno the vehicle YOU own.

its actually really easy for BMW to see that the car was dynoed with a simple check of the ECU through the data port.

If a car is dynoed there will be a huge difference in the wheel speed sensors which can easily be verified. Rear wheels going 155mph while the front wheels are stopped. (or are rolling 5mph). Wheel speed sensor's are continually being monitored while the car is running either way.
Yep. Agreed 100%. A breeze for them to know.

Not sure when you say "YOU" if you mean my car. It I would certainly have the same issues. Just not sure how much that matters to me. It will definitely not get in the way of me making the car what I want it to be. If I am going to spend this much on a car I am going to get every bit of enjoyment that I possibly can. Being carefully cautious though.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #41
M5 ACP
Safety Mgr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Coldlist, I'm not sure this correct way to PM you but I would very much like to have a discussion with you regarding the flash, exhaust, and the down pipes. I have trade my E90 M3 in and now the proud owner of a white F10 M5 beast and want the assistance and advice you seem to have
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 ACP View Post
Coldlist, I'm not sure this correct way to PM you but I would very much like to have a discussion with you regarding the flash, exhaust, and the down pipes. I have trade my E90 M3 in and now the proud owner of a white F10 M5 beast and want the assistance and advice you seem to have
Just set you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #43
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

The ECU (MEDV17) in the M5 is not new and is tunable. The only problem is cracking the RSA signature when writing to the ecu. Seems like only a couple of tuners have managed to do this. I am sure it wont be long before everyone is doing it.

Reading the ecu is easy as is writting but you get the RSA sig wrong and the car wont start.
      04-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #44
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Martin,
How does the car feel on the road now ?, is it night and day difference ?. Did you speak to Mr Cooper down at DMS, i think he is the chap to talk to, along with Rob ?. Do DMS offer a warranty on their products, i think they are one of the companies that used to do this ?. Will probably give them a call myself soon, but its nice to know from someone, that has already followed this path, enjoy the car, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0