04-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #67
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
I don't understand your comment.

Octane requirements do decrease with altitude but if you are boosting 22psi+ on 91-octane you have no insurance against a catastrophic event and are relying on the DME's knock sensors which are good but they work by actually detecting knock.
I kept it simple so that it didn't get misunderstood. I simply stated that some areas in the US only have a certain octane number available because of their altitude. Doesn't matter what car you pull up in at the gas station.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #68
DenverF10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I kept it simple so that it didn't get misunderstood. I simply stated that some areas in the US only have a certain octane number available because of their altitude. Doesn't matter what car you pull up in at the gas station.
I live in Colorado and only have 91 octane. Elevation doesn't have anything to do with it. They're trying to keep overall emissions down, so that's why I can only get 91.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #69
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
That's great - but doesn't change my original point which where running 91-octane in a high-boost situation is a 'recipe for disaster'. You disagreed with that but didn't offer any supporting data other than only 91-octane is available in some areas with high altitude. In that situation run lower boost and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #70
bgboost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
That's great - but doesn't change my original point which where running 91-octane in a high-boost situation is a 'recipe for disaster'. You disagreed with that but didn't offer any supporting data other than only 91-octane is available in some areas with high altitude. In that situation run lower boost and you will be fine.
With this being said, I only readily have access to 91. What is reasonably safe here?
JB4 Stg1 or Dinan Stg1?

I have a '14 comp all stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #71
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

If you want a piggy-back, then JB4 Stg1 or Dinan Stg1 would be fine with +3psi additive.

Else go for a flash with conservative timing/AFR and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #72
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverF10M5 View Post
I live in Colorado and only have 91 octane. Elevation doesn't have anything to do with it. They're trying to keep overall emissions down, so that's why I can only get 91.
That might be a more recent argument, but the octane rating in your area sprung up some time ago due to a report on elevation as it relates to octane rating.

http://www.denverpost.com/2006/10/16/some-knock-states-lower-octane-levels/

It's been a long battle to get a higher number at the pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #73
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

If your worried about octane and altitude I have a solution..

Dont use octane booster as it has MMT and will foul your engine, plugs etc...

USE

Aces IV .. very little known product.. It increases the oxygen levels in the fuel creating a higher burn rate.. it does not raise octane but it has the Same effect of about 8 octane point increase and lowers or eliminates all knock. Its also very safe, cleans the plugs, lubricates the upper cylinder heads, and extends engine life.. Added to a tank of 93 is better than race fuel in my opinion. You could in theory run a 100 octane tune and high boost with no worries all year round.

I was in disbelief, thought it was all snake oil and lies until I added it to my 91 octane fuel in CA and did some dyno runs to compare. Not only were my AFR levels improved and perfect but I also got an extra 15 hp and absolutely No knock.. this was on a 101 degree day..

You only need 1 ounce per 6 gallons.. So a full tank of gas is like 3 ounces.. A gallon of the stuff will last you almost a year. It comes with a small bottle that has measurements. You can keep it in your trunk/glove box and just pour what you need at each tank fill... very easy to use..

Research and try it yourself.. I also run this with 93 octane just for daily driving.. its impressive how smooth the engine sounds and runs..

Last edited by rambino; 04-15-2017 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
mister2d155.50
      04-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #74
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

I've been reading about Aces IV and their oil as well. Lots of positive reviews on both products. Have you been using it a long time? Have you tried their oil?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #75
The1stWright
Enlisted Member
Rep

So it's basically Dinan or nothing now? SMH
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #76
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1stWright View Post

might as well do nothing.

I've been running an AA piggy, gained 55whp over stock. Car runs flawless.

just don't do dp's, their tune can't clear the light.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #77
The1stWright
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
might as well do nothing.

I've been running an AA piggy, gained 55whp over stock. Car runs flawless.

just don't do dp's, their tune can't clear the light.
Agreed 100% I just don't want to void my warranty with anybody else. And I don't trust the ability of plugging in a jb4 to find out. Guess I just do lowering springs and visual mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #78
srtoad4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M5 / 2016 SRT Jeep

I live in AZ with crappy ACN91 octane. I just bought a used BMS Stage 1 off the forums here and plugged it in. Wow, what a difference for a 20 minute mod. All plug and play, doesn't go into the OBD or anything and simply raises boost a few PSI. Car pulls extremely hard, I did maybe 5 back to back 2nd/3rd gear pulls the other day in 90 degree heat and ZERO hiccups. Highly recommend the BMS Stage 1 for those who want some more boost without compromising warranty/etc. Install/removal is super easy and nobody will ever tell anything has been installedz
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #79
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
If your worried about octane and altitude I have a solution..

Dont use octane booster as it has MMT and will foul your engine, plugs etc...

USE

Aces IV .. very little known product.. It increases the oxygen levels in the fuel creating a higher burn rate.. it does not raise octane but it has the Same effect of about 8 octane point increase and lowers or eliminates all knock. Its also very safe, cleans the plugs, lubricates the upper cylinder heads, and extends engine life.. Added to a tank of 93 is better than race fuel in my opinion. You could in theory run a 100 octane tune and high boost with no worries all year round.

I was in disbelief, thought it was all snake oil and lies until I added it to my 91 octane fuel in CA and did some dyno runs to compare. Not only were my AFR levels improved and perfect but I also got an extra 15 hp and absolutely No knock.. this was on a 101 degree day..

You only need 1 ounce per 6 gallons.. So a full tank of gas is like 3 ounces.. A gallon of the stuff will last you almost a year. It comes with a small bottle that has measurements. You can keep it in your trunk/glove box and just pour what you need at each tank fill... very easy to use..

Research and try it yourself.. I also run this with 93 octane just for daily driving.. its impressive how smooth the engine sounds and runs..
How long have you been running it? Sounds interesting from what I read on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #80
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1stWright View Post
If you're out of the warranty period, there shouldn't be any worries. Just go with the tuner you want. But it sounds like you aren't. That sucks. You could always buy a used Dinantronics.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #81
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

Quote:
How long have you been running it? Sounds interesting from what I read on it.
Around 8 months now.. Ive done tests where I stopped using it, car drops on power and Air Fuel ratios thin out, re-introduce it to the system, AFR's clean up, misfires disappear, turbos whisp ultra smooth, and engine runs very quiet..

Aces IV is amazing stuff.. def a top tuner secret..
      05-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #82
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
If you're out of the warranty period, there shouldn't be any worries. Just go with the tuner you want. But it sounds like you aren't. That sucks. You could always buy a used Dinantronics.
If you can't swing the replacement cost of an engine, especially out of warranty, then leave it alone.

Never heard of aces IV, will look into it, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #83
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

feels like forever ago i made this thread. but only a year ago really...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #84
HandzsomeRob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1327330

Fortunately, i ran across this on the M3 side.

Start at page 3.

Basically, what is being implied is, (with a flashed ECU) anytime that car is now plugged into a BMW OBD, it's picking it up as a change and in turn telling the tech to consult BMW regarding repairs. And we can all infer where that is going to go...

Is this true? I have consulted two techs, one saying yes, the other saying NO. The latter, said he plugged in a jb4 m4 on friday, and didn't get any such prompt. Maybe this "update" or new software hasn't taken full effect yet, but it's something to definitely keep an eye on. This news just broke last week, and i know alot of people are shitting bricks, but we should definitely wait and see for a few weeks how things progress. The tech that told me this is true, said he didn't even have much info on it.

P.S

Regarding all the guys running piggies, supposedly this is a * better option in terms of needing warranty work (if you don't want to do a full flash) but as i always say, if BMW needs to find something, they will.

Well, all i can say is that my tuner only flashes a software version of my build month and year so that when it gets plugged in, BMW recognizes it as nothing suspicious. Most tuners forget that a carr pulls in and when obd gets scanned they see HMMMMMMM the software is from 3 months ago, thats weird, we have no recollection of that and then we all know what happens. Red Flag. I did not read all four pages in the thread, but what i can say is that an experienced tuner knows how to navigate the system codes and can keep you completely under the radar. just my 2 cents!
      02-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #85
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandzsomeRob View Post
Well, all i can say is that my tuner only flashes a software version of my build month and year so that when it gets plugged in, BMW recognizes it as nothing suspicious. Most tuners forget that a carr pulls in and when obd gets scanned they see HMMMMMMM the software is from 3 months ago, thats weird, we have no recollection of that and then we all know what happens. Red Flag. I did not read all four pages in the thread, but what i can say is that an experienced tuner knows how to navigate the system codes and can keep you completely under the radar. just my 2 cents!

You should probably do your research a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #86
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM555 View Post
It does doesn't it trevvy?!

who are you?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #87
HandzsomeRob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Haha Pause.