Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Learning To Drive the ///M

We have been hearing from many to include the press, independent reviewers, and new owners etc., that the M cars require a healthy dose of respect and understanding of driving dynamics. The amount of power these cars generate, the surge of torque from down low are not to be taken lightly we have been warned

Taking the comments to heart, I propose we all (at least the East Coast owners) attend a driving event at VIR with the Tarheel Chapter of BMW CCA. As you may be aware BMW CCA driving events are well organized with superb instructors with a special focus on safety and learning proper driving techniques. It is not a competitive event, but one focused on exploring our cars, weaknesses in our driving techniques and learning to close the gap.

As such I don't think there is a better place to learn our new cars on a track like VIR. Although I am sure you have all seen videos of VIR, it is one of the best tracks in the US and one that is as picturesque as it is technical; here is a typical VIR video:

Original organizational thread is in the F8X forums, we hope you join your M friends for three days of fun in April 2015 : http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post17140668

Last edited by FTS; 12-29-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I plan to do a Carolina Motorsports Park event in March. The Tarheel chapter VIR event is late April. I hope to do that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Yes, thank you for the correction, it is in April, hope to see you there
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Thanks for posting
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I may consider doing VIR again. The last event I did with the Tarheel HPDE, it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth though. I was disappointed that the organization held me back instead of push me forward. Even at the Advanced M School on VIR, I read that one guys writeup when the F8x's first came out and it sounded like from an experienced drivers standpoint that wasn't worth it either. I think I'd rather save my money and do the instructional ///M event at the Nurgurgring with the M4's. Although $400 bucks for an event at VIR is hard to beat. Who cares if the instructors won't let you take the cars past 6/10th's at VIR! Am I right or am I right? Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I may consider doing VIR again. The last event I did with the Tarheel HPDE, it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth though. I was disappointed that the organization held me back instead of push me forward. Even at the Advanced M School on VIR, I read that one guys writeup when the F8x's first came out and it sounded like from an experienced drivers standpoint that wasn't worth it either. I think I'd rather save my money and do the instructional ///M event at the Nurgurgring with the M4's. Although $400 bucks for an event at VIR is hard to beat. Who cares if the instructors won't let you take the cars past 6/10th's at VIR! Am I right or am I right? Lol!
I actually remember your post from few months back, and I can tell you I do related to the experience you had, I had similar experiences in the past. It does discourage you, turns you off towards club-organized HPDE events.

However, having been an instructor for a number of years, I also understand that instructor's perspective. It is really not easy to get into one's car capable of going 150+ mph at the back straight of VIR, when you have your voice as the only control and your experience to anticipate possibilities even before the driver actually knows what will happen.

Regardless, I really do understand you were held back, but I will give you few pointers and you will have a much better event this time around, and they are not driving tips, trust me I will hook you up on this and you'll be busy every single weekend until next December Besides the social aspect of all of us friendly M drivers getting together - we'll even caravan to the event - having dinner and drinks, and laugh off our stupidity on track for three days will be priceless
Appreciate 0