Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Drm5
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 sakhir orange

Shit...

I hope the driver is alright wish we can say that is the one taking the video...
What happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I wonder what happened.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Not good for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Is it karma for us P owners?
      05-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I wonder what happened.
Original thread here. Not a good story either.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sorry for the owner and the way BMW handled his situation. I wonder if we have anything to worry about?!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA View Post
Safety is the cornerstone of BMW’s engineering philosophy, which is why our Product Investigation Team conducted a thorough investigation to determine what happened. The BMW M5 involved was not found to have any defect or malfunction which would have led to the incident in question.
Who cares !!
Freaking m5 on fire!
I have an M5 LCI because of reputation and if your reputation because of this Jay Hanson guy is that bad my next car won't be an M5 and I will make sure to spread the word everywhere if this is how you treat your customers!
Shame on you Jay Hanson
You should be fired after this thread!!
Shame on you BMW NA
I have a lot more trust in BMW in Germany because of personal previous nice experience as they took care of my cousin in another country after a simple email on a car 2009 BMW out of warranty which really surprised me but wasn't BMW NA and I would reach out to them any time I have issues with the latter.

Totally surprised!
Paying for a car close to a price of a house and you get this type of treatment !! Shame Shame Shame !!
I have to give credit to Hendrick BMW though they treat their customers with respect and I dealt with Chris Blocker before but I believe he left the dealership and he was very courteous and cares about BMW reputation and his customers' satisfaction and my SA is Luca a very young guy but him and Nate Coffey are probably the best two in that dealership and Matt Neiss was professional too.
I don't buy my cars from them though because of the markup but I believe they are one of the best BMW dealerships in the whole country.

And a person named Charles once handled a claim for me about a year ago who was sent from BMW NA and he was super professional and courteous too,

So I am totally amazed why this case of M5 on fore was handled so poorly!!
I am so spreading this and I do it whenever a car company thinks they can get away with something like this !!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

No defect or malfunction? What then, spontaneous combustion? Come on BMWNA, step up your game. We need a better answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
MoeDaher
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened. If you follow the thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=767078 the car locked up right after I got out. No word from BMW NA except their automatic reply to that thread. When I filed a case with BMW NA Jay Hanson gave me the option wait 6 months, continue paying for the car, or file with your insurance. I filed with my insurance and they took care of me. once I withdrew my claim they released the car to the insurance! You would think they would care more about the cause as they claim safety is their cornerstone!!! It amazes me what kind of investigation they claim they did after the car was released to the insurance, and somehow IF they did one it took less than 6 months after the insurance paid for it!
I hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does and someone searches for this topic or fires please file a claim with http://www.nhtsa.gov/ that might stop BMW from ignoring fires like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Ok this one def has my attention, and so does BMW's BS response. If this has happened more than once (not that once is OK) and goes unaddressed, I'd easily walk away from BMW. At the very least there should be an explanation. I am still astounded that companies don't realize the effect the Internet can have.

Subscribed.
      05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Ok this one def has my attention, and so does BMW's BS response. If this has happened more than once (not that once is OK) and goes unaddressed, I'd easily walk away from BMW. At the very least there should be an explanation. I am still astounded that companies don't realize the effect the Internet can have.

Subscribed.
+ My next car won't be a BMW unless we get a reasonable response and I am.already a big fan of Audi and love Audi S6 and RS5! ! And a lot cheaper!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDaher View Post
That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened. If you follow the thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=767078 the car locked up right after I got out. No word from BMW NA except their automatic reply to that thread. When I filed a case with BMW NA Jay Hanson gave me the option wait 6 months, continue paying for the car, or file with your insurance. I filed with my insurance and they took care of me. once I withdrew my claim they released the car to the insurance! You would think they would care more about the cause as they claim safety is their cornerstone!!! It amazes me what kind of investigation they claim they did after the car was released to the insurance, and somehow IF they did one it took less than 6 months after the insurance paid for it!
I hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does and someone searches for this topic or fires please file a claim with http://www.nhtsa.gov/ that might stop BMW from ignoring fires like this.

What did you mean by "the car locked up right after I got out"? As in the doors locked and you would not have been able to get a child out without smashing a window?

I hope BMWNA is in this forum as well as Im sure this is going to drum up some serious attention in here - from their most loyal fan base as well.
      05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDaher View Post
That was my car! I am Ok and luckily my 5year old was not with me when this happened.
Oh my goodness! I am releaved to know you and your family are ok, and at the same time sick to my stomach to learn that this is how bmwna handles these situations.

If it were me, I would give them the time to conduct their investigation, then take them to court. I always knew bmwna is a pita to deal with, but this is inexcusable!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Before anyone gets bashed on a public forum, let's take a step back and rationally try to figure out what company such as BMW should reply on a public forum.
There are lots of attorney involved and BMW's whole legal team to figure out the best way to handle the situation. They cannot post on a forum that it is their fault and they built a $hitty $100k plus car. However, they will take care of us as BMW loyal customers and I am pretty sure behind the scenes they will make it right for the owner of the burned car.
That quoted response is exactly what their legal team drafted for them to avoid litigation or negative publicity so let's not freak out here and take it one step at a time and see what the outcome is. On a good note, nobody got hurt and the car can be replaced.
      05-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

That sucks Glad nobody got hurt

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Before anyone gets bashed on a public forum, let's take a step back and rationally try to figure out what company such as BMW should reply on a public forum.
There are lots of attorney involved and BMW's whole legal team to figure out the best way to handle the situation. They cannot post on a forum that it is their fault and they built a $hitty $100k plus car. However, they will take care of us as BMW loyal customers and I am pretty sure behind the scenes they will make it right for the owner of the burned car.
That quoted response is exactly what their legal team drafted for them to avoid litigation or negative publicity so let's not freak out here and take it one step at a time and see what the outcome is. On a good note, nobody got hurt and the car can be replaced.
I dont think they should respond in a public forum at all actually. But the individual it happened to should have an answer. Obviously there are two sides to a story, but BMW's half assed meaningless response was a bit condescending to me. If the other side of this story is true however, it doesnt seem like BMW did anything other than give him the an easy choice and a very difficult choice. Again, I'd like to see how this concludes.
      05-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

the doors locked up after you got out? Glad to hear your ok, could have been tons worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

read the thread and obviously a concerning event that could affect all m5 owners. very sorry for your loss. a few questions:

-there seems to be concern that dsc and the snow running on summer tires may have caused this. did you see the dsc light on your entire 6 mile ride back to home? having been caught in the snow on the Michelin pss, there is poor traction but certainly should not have been on the entire time.

-one you filed claim with your insurance company, does this alter the attitude for customer relations since you got paid? ie if you chose to continue paying for a charred car would this change the approach of bmw na?

-porsche has an e brake I believe similar to the bmw ebrake and also automatically shuts off when you try to reverse or move forward with the brake still on. Have there been similar porsche e brake failures?

very interested to hear if more comes out of this. very surprised (yet somewhat encouraged) that bmw does have someone active on the web forums although their response was very tepid.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
MoeDaher
Rep

I got out of the car when I saw smoke, when the fire department came they could not open any of the doors so they had to break the window to open the doors
when the fire burnt the wires nothing worked any more. My daughter's car seat was on the side where the fire started, if she had been with me that would have been right underneath her, and I do not know what I would have done had she been there with a locked door.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #21
MoeDaher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
As I mentioned my insurance paid for the car, so there was nothing behind the scenes that BMW NA did and I do not want anything from them. I reached out several times with emails and letters to try to know what the problem was but was totally ignored. The only response I had was their automatic bimmerfest reply.
The reason I am taking this to web posts is because I am worried this might happen to someone else, and to make it clear that if it does then it is not an isolated incident and they should report it to the NHTSA.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
MoeDaher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
read the thread and obviously a concerning event that could affect all m5 owners. very sorry for your loss. a few questions:

-there seems to be concern that dsc and the snow running on summer tires may have caused this. did you see the dsc light on your entire 6 mile ride back to home? having been caught in the snow on the Michelin pss, there is poor traction but certainly should not have been on the entire time.

-one you filed claim with your insurance company, does this alter the attitude for customer relations since you got paid? ie if you chose to continue paying for a charred car would this change the approach of bmw na?

-porsche has an e brake I believe similar to the bmw ebrake and also automatically shuts off when you try to reverse or move forward with the brake still on. Have there been similar porsche e brake failures?

very interested to hear if more comes out of this. very surprised (yet somewhat encouraged) that bmw does have someone active on the web forums although their response was very tepid.
The DSC light would come on and off, it was not on the entire time.

They did not care before my insurance paid me and certainly do not care now. They only reason they might answer anything is because of public posts like this.

I do not know of any Porsche incidents, but this time I got the ceramic brakes. Plus I got an all wheel drive this time!
Appreciate 0