Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
M5 RAG
Private
Rep
Drives: SG + SO F10 M5

Oil Consumption Part 2 (Possible Fix)

Hi Guys,

I posted the thread below a couple of months ago regarding my 1k miles per litre of oil consumption issue:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975951

I have started a new thread just in case this update gets lost in the old thread.

I had a chat with a really helpful tech at my dealer about the consumption and they took the car in, removed the oil, weighed it and then refilled to the correct level, I was then told to drive 1000 km's (621 miles) and then return for the oil to be weighed again.

I have read others have had this done so I was half expecting to get told that 1000 miles per litre of oil was within tolerance, but to my surprise my dealer called to say that this consumption was not right and that they had instruction from BMW to carry out engine mods (via a PUMA bulletin?).

The end result has been that they took my car in for a week and replaced the cam covers with a modified part, replaced the breathers, re programmed the ecu with some sort of modified firmware and replaced all of the turbo oil lines.

The tech told me there have been three or four instances of these mods carried out in the UK and all have been successful in massively reducing oil consumption.

I've only had the car back a day or two so I will have to come back to you all on the outcome re the consumption after a few thousand miles.

Could this be a fix for all of us with excessive oil consumption - I hope so!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Sounds interesting! Can you please PM me your number plate, so my mech can look into what has been done exactly with your car and get same job done for mine!
Thnx
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

You should post these in the engine section
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

Sort of related, my wife's 750 (2013) was doing the same thing with oil consumption. After a couple of days in the shop, her SA told her to come back and get her car and drive it for 1000 miles and see what happens. Must be the standard response when they don't know what the heck is going on with the car. Im interested to see what happens once she reaches that 1000.
2015 BMW X5M gone
2013 Porsche Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
M5 RAG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
You should post these in the engine section
Fair point, mods please feel free to this to the engine sub forum.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Traveler_M5
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 RAG
Hi Guys,

I posted the thread below a couple of months ago regarding my 1k miles per litre of oil consumption issue:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975951

I have started a new thread just in case this update gets lost in the old thread.

I had a chat with a really helpful tech at my dealer about the consumption and they took the car in, removed the oil, weighed it and then refilled to the correct level, I was then told to drive 1000 km's (621 miles) and then return for the oil to be weighed again.

I have read others have had this done so I was half expecting to get told that 1000 miles per litre of oil was within tolerance, but to my surprise my dealer called to say that this consumption was not right and that they had instruction from BMW to carry out engine mods (via a PUMA bulletin?).

The end result has been that they took my car in for a week and replaced the cam covers with a modified part, replaced the breathers, re programmed the ecu with some sort of modified firmware and replaced all of the turbo oil lines.

The tech told me there have been three or four instances of these mods carried out in the UK and all have been successful in massively reducing oil consumption.

I've only had the car back a day or two so I will have to come back to you all on the outcome re the consumption after a few thousand miles.

Could this be a fix for all of us with excessive oil consumption - I hope so!
Would you happen the PUMA or CIB number for this issue? -Noah
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
M5 RAG
Private
Rep

Unfortunately the mods haven't made any difference, the oil measurement display has dropped by a quarter of a litre in just 200 miles so back to the drawing board!

My car is booked back into the dealer on Monday for further investigation
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
M5f10
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 RAG View Post
Unfortunately the mods haven't made any difference, the oil measurement display has dropped by a quarter of a litre in just 200 miles so back to the drawing board!

My car is booked back into the dealer on Monday for further investigation
Hi there ,

Did you sort the problem ? I've got a 2014 built M5 F10 and it was ok when I bought it from approved used car giant however it all of the sudden started drinking oil at 1L/500 miles rate and immediately 1L/250 miles all of the sudden ...

The car was a daily with previous owner and it had 57k miles when I bought it , now it has 72k miles , runs fine and pulls hard as always , no smoke no leaks tail pipes black like a diesel .

I have just purchased the cam covers from BMW (A HEFTY 950 BILL) thinking that this is where the problem will be , a shit design where the ccv on no boost condition is send directly into the cylinder inlet ports .

I have also installed 2 baffled and filtered ccv cans but they are dry after 1000 miles , and when I say dry I mean DRY no moisture at all no vapour nothing ... So it is definitely a no boost condition problem .

If the cam covers don't sort the problem for me I'll just ditch it !
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

A litre of 0-30 in mine around 1000 miles is about right, there is NOTHING WRONG and its part of the oil burn (just like in F1 motors) to give it super power.Don't waste any more money.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
A litre of 0-30 in mine around 1000 miles is about right, there is NOTHING WRONG and its part of the oil burn (just like in F1 motors) to give it super power.Don't waste any more money.
1. This is not an F1 engine.
2. 1L/250 miles IS a problem, even per BMW's bulletin.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5f10 View Post
Hi there ,

Did you sort the problem ? I've got a 2014 built M5 F10 and it was ok when I bought it from approved used car giant however it all of the sudden started drinking oil at 1L/500 miles rate and immediately 1L/250 miles all of the sudden ...

The car was a daily with previous owner and it had 57k miles when I bought it , now it has 72k miles , runs fine and pulls hard as always , no smoke no leaks tail pipes black like a diesel .

I have just purchased the cam covers from BMW (A HEFTY 950 BILL) thinking that this is where the problem will be , a shit design where the ccv on no boost condition is send directly into the cylinder inlet ports .

I have also installed 2 baffled and filtered ccv cans but they are dry after 1000 miles , and when I say dry I mean DRY no moisture at all no vapour nothing ... So it is definitely a no boost condition problem .

If still under warranty, the dealer should be investigating this. That burn rate is too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5f10 View Post
Hi there ,

Sorry to hear you got one of those thirsty motor, based on past discussions, there is pretty much no fix unless you get a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Just spotted the time it was four years ago with that oil issue for M5RAG back in'14..! Not recent so hope he sorted it perhaps by using thicker oil.
Appreciate 0