M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Plastidip My front chrome trim grills and side chrome trim gills

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My buddy of mine help me do it, I think it came out clean compared on how it use to look, here is before and now. Also I posted a pic of how it was done Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Attached Images
     

Last edited by N.S.A; 01-16-2014 at 04:55 PM.
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Mikeisen
Civilian
 
Drives: Singapore Grey M5 F10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

Nicely done, and never even took the parts off the car. Now that's ingenious.
__________________
2013 F10 M5 - Singapore Grey
2009 911 Turbo - White
Mikeisen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
dhirm5
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD

Posts: 868
iTrader: (1)

Nice - dipping is a great alternative to buying the pre-painted stuff or waiting for the official BMW black parts if you happen to like the satin finish. You can get glossy also by using the glossifier.
__________________
2014 M5 ZCP - Azurite Black over SSII Full
2011 Xdrive35d - Platinum Gray over Oyster/Black Leather (hers)
2009 M5 - Carbon Black over Sepang Full (gone - not forgotten)
2001 740i M-Sport - Carbon Black over Black (gone - not forgotten)
dhirm5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 3,131
iTrader: (0)

Plasti-Dip is definitely a viable alternate to painting or vinyl wrapping. It's cheaper than both of those too. To this day my door handles still have the original Plasti-Dip I put on them going on 14 months now, with no stripping or peeling.
__________________
Once you go Piano Black, you always go back.
RPiM5 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisen View Post
Nicely done, and never even took the parts off the car. Now that's ingenious.
Thank, it was hard to put the painter tape and to peel it off without making a mistake but worth the 2 hours of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
Nice - dipping is a great alternative to buying the pre-painted stuff or waiting for the official BMW black parts if you happen to like the satin finish. You can get glossy also by using the glossifier.
Yes definitely, I was thinking of using the glossifier but want to keep it satin finish for awhile, might change it up to gloss later. Yeah its a lot cheaper too, only $50 for 4 cans from dipyourcar.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Plasti-Dip is definitely a viable alternate to painting or vinyl wrapping. It's cheaper than both of those too. To this day my door handles still have the original Plasti-Dip I put on them going on 14 months now, with no stripping or peeling.
Yes definitely, save a few hundreds to a thousands by doing this way. wow that's good to know, Thought you have to redue it every few months. thanks for that info.
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
DrewM5
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: SG E60 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I can't quite get to using plasti-dip on a $120,000 car to save less than $400 (LCI grills from IND less the cost of the plasti-dip). Then you factor in 2 hours of my time and the economics definitely turn sharply negative.

I guess I am not a total snob: I did use Plasti-dip to balck out the bug ugly gols Chevy emblems on the grill and liftgate of my Traverse.
__________________
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|Pirelli Sottozero Serie II|Coded by V12
DrewM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I can't quite get to using plasti-dip on a $120,000 car to save less than $400 (LCI grills from IND less the cost of the plasti-dip). Then you factor in 2 hours of my time and the economics definitely turn sharply negative.

I guess I am not a total snob: I did use Plasti-dip to balck out the bug ugly gols Chevy emblems on the grill and liftgate of my Traverse.
well it does not matter how much a car is, it peels right off, so if you don't like the color you do not have to loose another $400 in cost savings. it takes 2 hours if your extra careful, plus we were side tracked of the gorgeous beast. For the side emblems gills is a lot more savings than just $400. But I understand your theory
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
dhirm5
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD

Posts: 868
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I can't quite get to using plasti-dip on a $120,000 car to save less than $400
Hey man - it's cool. To each his/her own.

I was hesitant at first, but the shop that did mine assured me I'd love it and wouldn't be able to tell - and best of all that if I didn't like it, it peels right off. So I let them do it.

Guess what? It's as clean a job as you'd want. If you can get the exact same effect for $100 as you'd get for $400+, why wouldn't you? Paint is not rocket science. Except I think plasti-dip may be..
__________________
2014 M5 ZCP - Azurite Black over SSII Full
2011 Xdrive35d - Platinum Gray over Oyster/Black Leather (hers)
2009 M5 - Carbon Black over Sepang Full (gone - not forgotten)
2001 740i M-Sport - Carbon Black over Black (gone - not forgotten)
dhirm5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
Hey man - it's cool. To each his/her own.

I was hesitant at first, but the shop that did mine assured me I'd love it and wouldn't be able to tell - and best of all that if I didn't like it, it peels right off. So I let them do it.

Guess what? It's as clean a job as you'd want. If you can get the exact same effect for $100 as you'd get for $400+, why wouldn't you? Paint is not rocket science. Except I think plasti-dip may be..
well said, plastidip is rocket science. Its one great invention
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Mikeisen
Civilian
 
Drives: Singapore Grey M5 F10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I can't quite get to using plasti-dip on a $120,000 car to save less than $400 (LCI grills from IND less the cost of the plasti-dip). Then you factor in 2 hours of my time and the economics definitely turn sharply negative.

I guess I am not a total snob: I did use Plasti-dip to balck out the bug ugly gols Chevy emblems on the grill and liftgate of my Traverse.
I understand what you're saying, but remember, we are all car guys here. I like to see someone taking the extra time to do something to the car themself. Anyone, including myself, can buy the parts from iND and put it on. Heck some guys even pay someone to put the parts on for them. But I think it's cool when you take the time to do it yourself. It's not about the money. We could all afford it if we bought this car. Rock on.
__________________
2013 F10 M5 - Singapore Grey
2009 911 Turbo - White
Mikeisen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,148
iTrader: (2)

$400 buys 4 tanks of gas and that accounts for many hours of enjoyable driving behind the wheel. So, yes, I think it's well worth to spend that 2hr. OP did a great job and now I am tempting to do the same.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisen View Post
I understand what you're saying, but remember, we are all car guys here. I like to see someone taking the extra time to do something to the car themself. Anyone, including myself, can buy the parts from iND and put it on. Heck some guys even pay someone to put the parts on for them. But I think it's cool when you take the time to do it yourself. It's not about the money. We could all afford it if we bought this car. Rock on.
yes exactly, its enjoyable doing it your self, its like A sense of pride and joy of it. Also we can all afford it, but what makes us to afford an M5 is that we save money in little things like this that most people do not care about. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
$400 buys 4 tanks of gas and that accounts for many hours of enjoyable driving behind the wheel. So, yes, I think it's well worth to spend that 2hr. OP did a great job and now I am tempting to do the same.
haha exactly or a tire one the M5 lol. PM me if you want more details of how its done and all. thanks.
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #13
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 738
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]


I wrapped mine in 3M Metallic black. It matched up so well with the sapphire black metallic that everyone thought it was painted.

I did remove it from the car which didn't take very long. I have night vision so I had to unhook that.

I spent 40$ to cover the door handles, reflectors, side vents, & front grills. It still looked like new after a year and I use the pressure washer often to clean the car. Not that I can't spend 600$ on painted pieces.
__________________
h4nh is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post


I wrapped mine in 3M Metallic black. It matched up so well with the sapphire black metallic that everyone thought it was painted.

I did remove it from the car which didn't take very long. I have night vision so I had to unhook that.

I spent 40$ to cover the door handles, reflectors, side vents, & front grills. It still looked like new after a year and I use the pressure washer often to clean the car. Not that I can't spend 600$ on painted pieces.
Wow I heard about wrap, did not know if you could that, but that's good to know thanks. it looks clean. I might try that on my reflectors, someone told me it looks bad the wrap on the reflectors, but as I can see, it looks super clean. Was it hard to do that wrap because to match it perfectly the shape must of been hard
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #15
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 738
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
Wow I heard about wrap, did not know if you could that, but that's good to know thanks. it looks clean. I might try that on my reflectors, someone told me it looks bad the wrap on the reflectors, but as I can see, it looks super clean. Was it hard to do that wrap because to match it perfectly the shape must of been hard
It was easy. I went over it with two layers of wrap to cover the orange. Then I pressed in the groove with my finger nails and finished it off with using a knife to cut it. Same thing with the door handles.

The front grills were a lil tricky but just have some patience with the blow dryer and it will look perfect.

I was thinking if it looked ghetto rigged then I would have it painted but I was very satisfied with the outcome. haha
__________________
h4nh is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #16
N.S.A
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 BLACK SAPPHIRE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
It was easy. I went over it with two layers of wrap to cover the orange. Then I pressed in the groove with my finger nails and finished it off with using a knife to cut it. Same thing with the door handles.

The front grills were a lil tricky but just have some patience with the blow dryer and it will look perfect.

I was thinking if it looked ghetto rigged then I would have it painted but I was very satisfied with the outcome. haha
wow that sounds good. the only hard part is the knife don't want to scratch the paint haha. but Yeah I know what you mean that ghetto rigged, on my grills the bottom portion became slightly that way because the dust in my garage
N.S.A is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST