M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Highest speed you were caught at? What happened afterwards?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was talking about radar detector last couple of days till some members mentioned being pulled over at 100 mph at 60 mph zone and it dawned on me - to ask the dreaded question to all memebrs - who are willing to talk about what happened then and what was the highest speed each caught doing?
__________________
Life is too short even if you live to be a 100!!
As what really counts is the few moments we are really happy and excited!
-Kids, Family, Success, Career, Helping others stand on their feet, Travel, Seeking the truth, Worshipping your God, Hobbies eg M5 -
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (0)

IMO, that's really dumb to risk yours & someone else life. Take it to the track if you crave for excessive speed.
bobblehead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
IMO, that's really dumb to risk yours & someone else life. Take it to the track if you crave for excessive speed.
For me I crave acceleration rather than real speed,
Never seen triple digits in my M5 !! As a driver !!

It is fun enough for me to feel 60-80 coming that fast rather than just the mere number cruising at
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
CFisher
Private
 
Drives: F10 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Illinois

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Cmon Bobblehead...fess up...your signature says you drive at "Warp Speed" not "Warp Speed (but only on the track)"

I haven't been nailed for excessive speed - yet - but I fear for this Spring when the roads are dry and we get out of the deep freeze.
CFisher is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Spinny02
Major
 
Spinny02's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 CP S1 Dinan
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, Tx

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (2)

101mph (maxed) in a 70 mph zone. Car was a 1998 4runner in rural area of Texas. The cop let me off with a ticket.
__________________
Spinny02 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Northern X5M
Lieutenant
 
Northern X5M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

I've been caught doing 40km over, which is just an expensive ticket. Here 50km over and they will tow you vehicle.
__________________
2014 ///M5 - Individual Tanzanite Blue / Cohiba Interior - Competition Package: 11.56 @ 122.3MPH - 1.79 60' (4200 DA) - SS DP w/ SS Midpipe Race Cats - E Race Mufflers - BMS@3.0 - Gruppe M Intake - 19" MT DR's
2000 ///M5 - Oxford Green / Caramel Interior
Northern X5M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
101mph (maxed) in a 70 mph zone. Car was a 1998 4runner in rural area of Texas. The cop let me off with a ticket.
And when he does let you off,
If you go to court and have a lawyer? Is it any good?

Glad he didn't take you to jail,
BTW why would he take one to jail? What's the point?
What happens to the car then?
Insurance rate will soar for sure -
And points too
But Felony records!! Is that true?
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I've been caught doing 40km over, which is just an expensive ticket. Here 50km over and they will tow you vehicle.
Where?
I lived in Africa for some time and people were driving 120 mph in 60 mph zones but radar detectkrs were absolutely prohibited!!
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
101mph (maxed) in a 70 mph zone. Car was a 1998 4runner in rural area of Texas. The cop let me off with a ticket.
Had Radar detector then?
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Spinny02
Major
 
Spinny02's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 CP S1 Dinan
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, Tx

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (2)

Yes all true if convicted( Texas does not have points). I had a good lawyer, not on my record. This was 14 years ago.

No radar detector then. I learned my lesson =) stir+ w/ ALP jammer.
__________________
Spinny02 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
aculeg87
Captain
 
aculeg87's Avatar
 
Drives: M4 & 991S- GT3 being built
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Theres a time and place for everything. If you own a fast car, you only utilize it's capabilities on the rare occasion you have it a track? A M5 at the track? I know it's capable but doesn't seem enticing to me. If you own a M5 and never take it above 100 in the right highway setting I would suggest trading it in for a 535 M sport. The M5 really shines when you're doing 120 on the highway and it feels like you're doing 70. I'm certain there are gentlemen on this forum who have had the pleasure of having their M5 on the autobahn and were able to appreciate what the car was made to do.
aculeg87 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,578
iTrader: (0)

Speed whether on the highway or on the track is inversely proportional to skill. The more speed on the highway the more skill it takes to not get caught. The more speed on the track the more skill it takes to not get caught.
__________________
The F10 M5 is the Business Sports Sedan I always wanted. Until the next M5 comes out.
RPiM5 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Audi A4 3.2; Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Speed whether on the highway or on the track is inversely proportional to skill. The more speed on the highway the more skill it takes to not get caught. The more speed on the track the more skill it takes to not get caught.
So, directly proportional, then.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8); 2015 Porsche Macan S (October 2014 delivery)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Speed whether on the highway or on the track is inversely proportional to skill. The more speed on the highway the more skill it takes to not get caught. The more speed on the track the more skill it takes to not get caught.
So, directly proportional, then.
Yeah that's what I meant. Typed it real quick on my iPhone while speeding in my M5. Skillz. :P
__________________
The F10 M5 is the Business Sports Sedan I always wanted. Until the next M5 comes out.
RPiM5 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Mbdurham17
Lieutenant
 
Mbdurham17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 CP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

77 in a 35 $600 fine and couldn't drive in VA for 6 months. The judge said he would have suspended my license but he couldn't because I was licensed in another state
Mbdurham17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
 
B-1Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In a Hot Place

Posts: 844
iTrader: (0)

I prefer sustained speeds at high comfort....

My current trip.

Oh, only pulled over once in the M5... Said he got me in the 80s and slowing rapidly. Asked if I had a radar detector. I said yes.... Let me off with a warning and said to be careful.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2014 ///M5 w/CP || My Epic ED trip report|| 2013 335ix || 2009 BMW R1200RT
B-1Pilot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
McGee
New Member
 
McGee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charleston, South Carolina

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

165mph in a 55mph zone a few years back. A buddy had just got back from deployment and wanted to go for a ride in my Cobra, and after a little insisting I obliged. I pulled out of the neighborhood and hit it 2nd through the middle of 5th real quick and turned around to head home. All the while a state trooper was sitting in the median the whole time. When I blew by him he didn't even bother to try and chase, he just got on the radio to see if anybody up ahead might be able to stop me. When I turned around to pull back in the neighborhood I pretty much fell into his lap and he pulled out and turned on the lights. Since I was the only one on the road I knew he had to be coming for me so I pulled over by the clubhouse and waited for him. Long story short he was extremely nice and wrote me a reckless ticket for 6 points and $700, he reduced the speed on the ticket to 135mph in a 55mph so he wouldn't have to arrest me and impound the car. The week after I called him for about a week to see what options I had to pay for my stupidity but potentially avoid the 6 points against my record as I was a young guy with a clean record and didn't want my insurance to skyrocket. He told me since I was so polite and made the smart decision to pull over and wait for him he'd take care of me. When I went to court he ended up requesting the ticket be reduced to the minimum fine of $74 and 2 points.....HUGE break.
__________________
Black 2010 E90 335i JB4 & DCI
Black 2003 Cobra
Ported, Sprayed, Full Exhaust, SCT PRP tuned, E-85.
700+ RWHP monster

2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 Full bolt-on's
McGee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
mitch65
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

When I was 16 I was stopped going 130 in a 65MPH Zone on the interstate in the Desert near Palm Springs at 3am in my Camaro Z28. Road was empty. I was going around 90 With a Black Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am. Then I pulled away. CHP was following us with his driving lights only so did not see him, CHP cars back then only did about 100 so he did not catch up until I slowed down. Only reason he did not take me to Jail was he did not want to drive me 70 miles to the nearest Juvi jail. Judge suspended my license for 6 weeks. I was lucky it was not longer. I told him I had a job and needed to drive to work. I had 2 tickets at ages 12 & 14 for driving a Motorcycle without a license so the judge was not thrilled with me. It was classified as Wreckless Driving and stayed on my driving record for 7 Years !! Same as a DUI !! These days they would probably take a 16 year old's license away for at least 2 years, if not more for that.
mitch65 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
Actor
Captain
 
Actor's Avatar
 
Drives: a lot!
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Basingstoke

Posts: 758
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah that's what I meant. Typed it real quick on my iPhone while speeding in my M5. Skillz. :P
Actor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #20
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGee View Post
165mph in a 55mph zone a few years back. A buddy had just got back from deployment and wanted to go for a ride in my Cobra, and after a little insisting I obliged. I pulled out of the neighborhood and hit it 2nd through the middle of 5th real quick and turned around to head home. All the while a state trooper was sitting in the median the whole time. When I blew by him he didn't even bother to try and chase, he just got on the radio to see if anybody up ahead might be able to stop me. When I turned around to pull back in the neighborhood I pretty much fell into his lap and he pulled out and turned on the lights. Since I was the only one on the road I knew he had to be coming for me so I pulled over by the clubhouse and waited for him. Long story short he was extremely nice and wrote me a reckless ticket for 6 points and $700, he reduced the speed on the ticket to 135mph in a 55mph so he wouldn't have to arrest me and impound the car. The week after I called him for about a week to see what options I had to pay for my stupidity but potentially avoid the 6 points against my record as I was a young guy with a clean record and didn't want my insurance to skyrocket. He told me since I was so polite and made the smart decision to pull over and wait for him he'd take care of me. When I went to court he ended up requesting the ticket be reduced to the minimum fine of $74 and 2 points.....HUGE break.
Quite a story -
I enjoy reading those
Hahahahha
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
I prefer sustained speeds at high comfort....

My current trip.

Oh, only pulled over once in the M5... Said he got me in the 80s and slowing rapidly. Asked if I had a radar detector. I said yes.... Let me off with a warning and said to be careful.
OMG!!
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
soooma
M5D
 
soooma's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17 View Post
77 in a 35 $600 fine and couldn't drive in VA for 6 months. The judge said he would have suspended my license but he couldn't because I was licensed in another state
Yeah heard VA is really tough on speed and radars detectors !!
soooma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST