09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I certainly hope this will prove to be the case for the UK RHD market, but on the bottom of page 1 there is a footnote which states: "International version. Please contact your local dealer for country specific information." This implies to me that specifications may vary between different regions.
I've just re-checked the BMW UK website and it still clearly states that the M5 has "Electric Power Steering (EPS) with M Servotronic steering"
I shall 'watch-this-space' with interest in the hope that it's a typo.
That is a big typo on their end. I would believe someone from M Division themselves rather than what the dealer is feeding you. I do think that the M5 does come with EPS if you get some sort of auto parking function, but i am still unsure.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
That is a big typo on their end. I would believe someone from M Division themselves rather than what the dealer is feeding you. I do think that the M5 does come with EPS if you get some sort of auto parking function, but i am still unsure.
This is not information any "dealer is feeding", as you put it. I you re-read my post you will see that I quite clearly state that I found it on the official BMW UK website: http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...-bmwuk,00.html
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

This is from the M5 section (page 39) of BMW's media information kit from the Frankfurt show:

Hydraulic rack and pinion steering with variable transmission, which combines precise directional stability with reduced steering effort when manoeuvring, is an M-specific feature. Using independently configured M Servotronic, the characteristics of the speed-dependent power steering can be individually set via three accessible characteristic maps.

See the whole information kit attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_IAA_2011_EN.pdf (399.1 KB, 540 views)

Last edited by hinckley; 09-16-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Excellent news, let's hope that someone influential from BMW UK takes note and amends the published specifications accordingly.
There is, however, a bit of doubt remaining in my mind - yes, as another poster commented, I too cannot see BMW producing the M5 with two different steering systems, but you never know with our current eco friendly government and there's a nagging thought that there's an aspect of RHD that conflicts.
Doubtless all will be revealed in the fullness of time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It's not an electric pump, it's an electric motor. Any input from the steering wheel is routed through a control/computer unit before the motor can react and move the rack accordingly. No matter how short, a slight delay must be incurred, resulting in the widely reported numbness.
This is not how electric power steering works. The electric motor works on the shaft, assisting in turning it. There is a direct connection between the shaft and the steering box. What you described is drive by wire steering, which the F10 does not have.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #28
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Excellent news, let's hope that someone influential from BMW UK takes note and amends the published specifications accordingly.
There is, however, a bit of doubt remaining in my mind - yes, as another poster commented, I too cannot see BMW producing the M5 with two different steering systems, but you never know with our current eco friendly government and there's a nagging thought that there's an aspect of RHD that conflicts.
Doubtless all will be revealed in the fullness of time.
BMW UK seems to be the only source telling you otherwise. When BMW themselves say hydraulic steering, that should erase any doubt from your mind. I've seen typos all the time on the BMW USA site. Definitely take what they said with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #29
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
This is not how electric power steering works. The electric motor works on the shaft, assisting in turning it. There is a direct connection between the shaft and the steering box. What you described is drive by wire steering, which the F10 does not have.
The electric motor imparts rotary motion to the pinion, which then moves the rack laterally. However, the motor requires an input from the steering wheel, via the computer/control unit, hence a very slight delay in reaction time. This, as I have previously mentioned, does not happen with a hydraulic system as the motive force, in the form of pressurised fluid, is constantly on-tap.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BMW's updated press release confirms the hydraulic steering once again:

Quote:
The hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with variable ratio is another M-specific feature, combining precise directional stability with a need for less steering effort when manoeuvring. The M Servotronic system has also been specially configured and allows the driver to adapt the characteristics of the speed-sensitive power assistance to individual tastes and requirements via three settings.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #31
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Guys, didn't mean to be rude, just trying to get the steering confusion straight. Maybe this info from the BMW parts catalogue helps. You can see that the F10 M5 is using hydraulic steering while a F10 550i uses electric steering:

F10 M5

Attachment 580444

F10 550i

Attachment 580445

Best regards,
south
Do the 535 xdrive and 550 xdrive use the hydro steering system?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Do the 535 xdrive and 550 xdrive use the hydro steering system?
That's right, the F10 xDrive models also use the hydro steering system.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #33
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
The electric motor imparts rotary motion to the pinion, which then moves the rack laterally. However, the motor requires an input from the steering wheel, via the computer/control unit, hence a very slight delay in reaction time. This, as I have previously mentioned, does not happen with a hydraulic system as the motive force, in the form of pressurised fluid, is constantly on-tap.
Incorrect.

The electric motor only acts on the shaft to give it assist. If you removed the motor, you'd still be able to turn the rack, unassisted.
Appreciate 0