M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
tilua
Private
 
Drives: 2008 335i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Canon T3i vs 60D

Currently I have an XTi and looking to upgrade the camera and currently looking at the T3i or 60D. Both has wireless ETTL and Video, which are the main features I'm looking to upgrade.

I like the feel and the selection wheel on the back of the 60D but other than that, there's no difference between the T3i and 60D. Is there anythign else I'm missing here beside the added premium on the 60D?

Thanks,
tilua is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 5,013
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The 60D is a much more substantial camera body. Go to a store and see for yourself. The body is larger and heavier, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the user.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Railgun
Major
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Drives: FD, CBR600RR, R56 JCW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

Posts: 1,362
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...=canon_eos600d

In short, 60D is faster, sealed, heavier and about $400 more.
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
tilua
Private
 
Drives: 2008 335i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The 60D is a much more substantial camera body. Go to a store and see for yourself. The body is larger and heavier, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the user.
Sweet, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!
tilua is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
icyhot e92
Captain
 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new york

Posts: 734
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...=canon_eos600d

In short, 60D is faster, sealed, heavier and about $400 more.

I thought the 60D isnt sealed. At least not as much compared to 50d/7d.
icyhot e92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
 
Ryebread's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philaburbia

Posts: 401
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Save another month and get a 7d
Ryebread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

biggest feature to me, thumb dial for in Manual mode. If you shoot in M, you'll appreciate that part a lot.

the 60D is supposed to have a slightly faster auto focus then the T2i and less, but i'm not sure which AF ended up in the T3i I think it's the slower one however.

if you're out and about a lot, the 60D is supposed to be more rugged.

the 60D shoots a higher frames per second.

if you use a tripod lots, the 60D also has a horizontal level built in, which is nice to get things flat.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
vachss
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

Posts: 787
iTrader: (1)

How does it fit in your hands? I shot a T2i for a while and if you have "man hands" a larger camera body than that may be more comfortable to use.
vachss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 135 CPE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,872
iTrader: (8)

I would say if I had it to do over again I would of just gone with a 5Dmk2. They are poping up used all over the place now. People are jumping to the 7D because they want faster AF. The 5D is better at ISO performance and image quality being a full frame. I would like to seel my T2i and grab a 5D at some point. The 60D is nice but you may as well go for the 7D. I pinched pennies like a moron. Now I just got a 70-200 F4L IS and the T2i or the T3i being that they are the same really, feels off balance and way nose heavy. The body is just too small for large lenses. I know a batery grip can help though.
HPFREAK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

i like the way the 60D feels in my hands...i have been back and forth between these 2 cameras about buying one, and my mother surprised me the other day and said whatever i do dont buy the camera...so im getting it for christmas Canon 60D
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
i like the way the 60D feels in my hands...i have been back and forth between these 2 cameras about buying one, and my mother surprised me the other day and said whatever i do dont buy the camera...so im getting it for christmas Canon 60D
you'll be pleased with it.

I know a lot of people say hold out for the 7D, but the 60D is 90-95% of the 7D

the things it lack are really nothing to worry about.

The autofocus is still way faster in it then all the other cameras with the exception of the 1D class and the 7D, but still puts all the others to shame.

I think a lot of people pass over it thinking it is very similar to a T3i, and yes they are right in some respects, but at the same time, it has a lot more to offer then a lot of people realize.

I would recommend it before many others, and I have.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
I would say if I had it to do over again I would of just gone with a 5Dmk2. They are poping up used all over the place now. People are jumping to the 7D because they want faster AF. The 5D is better at ISO performance and image quality being a full frame. I would like to seel my T2i and grab a 5D at some point. The 60D is nice but you may as well go for the 7D. I pinched pennies like a moron. Now I just got a 70-200 F4L IS and the T2i or the T3i being that they are the same really, feels off balance and way nose heavy. The body is just too small for large lenses. I know a batery grip can help though.
a battery grip will make a world of difference to balance out a big lens.

and once you start getting bigger lenses then the 70-200 F4, you'll find even the bigger camera bodies start to lose balance a bit. It's just the nature of the game.

I bought my 100-400mm L series while i still owned my T1i, and it was a rediculous combination to try and find a balance on. The T2i is much more robust A battery grip was basically essential at that point. The one that really made it show the size however, was my 24-70 L put on the front. On a big camera, it looks like a normal lens. On a small camera, it looks like a freak. The big lenses just do that on any camera body where the "normal" sized L series lenses tend to make the small camera bodys stand out like a sore thumb and add comedic effect.

the nice thing however, a nice piece of glass will make the best of any camera body, no matter how silly it looks, it just may be awkward to balance in your hands. And maybe cause carpel tunnel (kidding.... i hope...)
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 135 CPE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,872
iTrader: (8)

Ya I am sure the grip will help but I am also hesitant to spend money on this body since I plan to move to the Full Frame at some point. I am waiting to see the official release date of the 5D mkIII. If it is not significantly better than the mk2 then I will get the mk2 used since people will be dumping them and they will get cheap at that point. I think by march they will announce after they release the 1Dx. They do not want to take sales or hype away from the 1Dx.

Canon needs to do something to keep up with Nikon since the D700 is better at low light and high ISO performance than the 5D2 and it has faster AF all around. They announced the D800 and that is going to be even better as a replacement to the D700. If canon does not up their game in the entry level Full Frame bodies they will loose market share like crazy. I will be one to jump ship to the D800. Canon did mention that the newer 5D will have a better AF system and ISO performance but they did not specify any performance figures other than say the 5D3 will have a similar AF system to the 7D but not as good...what?lol Why would they say this? Seems odd to so that, but maybe they will change that before release. I heard that Ron Howard was given a 5D3 and a 1Dx already and he is not saying much about them other than the 1Dx is amazing. It better be for 7k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
a battery grip will make a world of difference to balance out a big lens.

and once you start getting bigger lenses then the 70-200 F4, you'll find even the bigger camera bodies start to lose balance a bit. It's just the nature of the game.

I bought my 100-400mm L series while i still owned my T1i, and it was a rediculous combination to try and find a balance on. The T2i is much more robust A battery grip was basically essential at that point. The one that really made it show the size however, was my 24-70 L put on the front. On a big camera, it looks like a normal lens. On a small camera, it looks like a freak. The big lenses just do that on any camera body where the "normal" sized L series lenses tend to make the small camera bodys stand out like a sore thumb and add comedic effect.

the nice thing however, a nice piece of glass will make the best of any camera body, no matter how silly it looks, it just may be awkward to balance in your hands. And maybe cause carpel tunnel (kidding.... i hope...)
HPFREAK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
you'll be pleased with it.

I know a lot of people say hold out for the 7D, but the 60D is 90-95% of the 7D

the things it lack are really nothing to worry about.

The autofocus is still way faster in it then all the other cameras with the exception of the 1D class and the 7D, but still puts all the others to shame.

I think a lot of people pass over it thinking it is very similar to a T3i, and yes they are right in some respects, but at the same time, it has a lot more to offer then a lot of people realize.

I would recommend it before many others, and I have.

awesome man thanks!! i cant wait to get out there and start shooting
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
awesome man thanks!! i cant wait to get out there and start shooting
can't wait to see pictures
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
can't wait to see pictures
thanks...i need to learn how to edit them so until that they will just be how i shot them lol
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
thanks...i need to learn how to edit them so until that they will just be how i shot them lol
now worries, the more you shoot, the more you'll learn, and one day when you get a picture you love, but something isn't right, you'll start learing how to edit, and then a whole new world will open up.

My advice though, Shoot RAW and JPEG, that way you can look back in several months when you're getting into editing and think. "what happened to those old pictures!"

Raw is so much easier to edit.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
now worries, the more you shoot, the more you'll learn, and one day when you get a picture you love, but something isn't right, you'll start learing how to edit, and then a whole new world will open up.

My advice though, Shoot RAW and JPEG, that way you can look back in several months when you're getting into editing and think. "what happened to those old pictures!"

Raw is so much easier to edit.
sounds like a plan to me, what type of editing software should i use/purchase/download??
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
sounds like a plan to me, what type of editing software should i use/purchase/download??
DxO got me started off. but it lacks a few simple things I was looking for and found in Lightroom. Photoshop is also handly, but it takes a long time to learn because it's so complex.

DxO is probably one of the easier, yet powerfull ones. There's lots of cheap ones that really don't do a good job.

Unless you're on a Mac, then someone else might have a better answer for you since i'm a PC guy.

but of the 3, DxO will likely be the easiest to learn. But Lightroom isn't far off, and has a few more tricks... But DxO jsut came out with a new version, so i haven't seen what new toys it has.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
DxO got me started off. but it lacks a few simple things I was looking for and found in Lightroom. Photoshop is also handly, but it takes a long time to learn because it's so complex.

DxO is probably one of the easier, yet powerfull ones. There's lots of cheap ones that really don't do a good job.

Unless you're on a Mac, then someone else might have a better answer for you since i'm a PC guy.

but of the 3, DxO will likely be the easiest to learn. But Lightroom isn't far off, and has a few more tricks... But DxO jsut came out with a new version, so i haven't seen what new toys it has.
awesome man i appreciate all the help, ill def look into those, i wanna get a Mac, but im still on a PC as well lol
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #21
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
awesome man i appreciate all the help, ill def look into those, i wanna get a Mac, but im still on a PC as well lol
No worries, we are all here to help, lost of people very happy to critique and give advice in the photo/videography section. Exploit it
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
EngineCo52
Major
 
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Havre de Grace, MD

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
No worries, we are all here to help, lost of people very happy to critique and give advice in the photo/videography section. Exploit it
yeah ive noticed that lol....ive been lurking around here for quite sometime, so i cant wait to start shooting and getting some input
__________________
E92 328xi Mods-KW V1-BMW Performance Exhaust-Matte Black Grill-CF Mirror Covers-CF B-Pillars-20% Tint-Coming soon:AG M310's, M3 Rep Front, Black Roof, Vinyl Window Trim

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
EngineCo52 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST