M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Could it have a Tune and I don't know about it!! Dealer /// UPDATE!!!

Now some of you know I got this Space Gray PreOwned M5 which has ///MPExhaust and lowered like really lowered and it drives like a maniac!

I got it from a mom and pop dealership who purchased it from Braman BMW Miami as an auction car then sold it to me!

The question is?!
It drives like no other M5 I have ever been in!
Just a touch on the gas pedal and would be spinning tires and this is not my first rodeo as I had 2 other M5's and one of them was Comp Package just like this but this drives like a lot faster and more lunatic and despite beefy PSS tires in the back still spins with a touch of the gas pedal which is very unlike this car hat I am supposedly very familiar with

Scared the sh**t out of me first few times and it's acting as if I have DSC off!!

Any idea how I could find out whether it has a Tune or not?!
And whether it voids warranty or not?!

It has only 20K miles on it!!!
Attached Images
  
__________________
Life is too short even if you live to be a 100!!
As what really counts is the few moments we are really happy and excited!
-Kids, Family, Success, Career, Helping others stand on their feet, Travel, Seeking the truth, Worshipping your God, Hobbies eg M5 -

Last edited by soooma; 03-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
129
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Since you know what a stock comp drives like, it does seem like this one is tuned if it's night/day difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Since you know what a stock comp drives like, it does seem like this one is tuned if it's night/day difference.
I know
But why wouldn't they even mention?!
I may understand the fact it was sold to Braman and from Braman to the Hickory NC dealership and then off to me!! Many steps but still one previous owner who put a bra, lowering springs and I don't know coil over so or not, blacked out the wheels and put Exhauste MPE that alone cannot possibly account for the sheer madness I have been experiencing which isn't translates into tangible speed (Any M5 is slow to me now as I have Tesla P90DL) but rather in character and personality of the car on the road if you will!!!

How can I find out ?!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
ur20v
Captain
117
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: WA Australia

iTrader: (0)

Have a look at the ECU's (DME's) and look for tampering with the case around the edge - distorted metal case etc also look for round dim sized stickers that may be covering a drilled hole in the case to gain access for the tuning.

Any thing plugged into the OBDII diagnostic port aka a JB4?

You could track down the previous owner to ask.

Lastly get the dealer to do a software update for the ECU's specificaily so it goes back to stock.

If you are worried about the warranty talk to you SA and expalin your concerns so if you have problems they don't become yours when they try and blame you for the tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Have a look at the ECU's (DME's) and look for tampering with the case around the edge - distorted metal case etc also look for round dim sized stickers that may be covering a drilled hole in the case to gain access for the tuning.

Any thing plugged into the OBDII diagnostic port aka a JB4?

You could track down the previous owner to ask.

Lastly get the dealer to do a software update for the ECU's specificaily so it goes back to stock.

If you are worried about the warranty talk to you SA and expalin your concerns so if you have problems they don't become yours when they try and blame you for the tune.

Thanks
Helpful !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
ur20v
Captain
117
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: WA Australia

iTrader: (0)

You could also approach the tuners on here with you vin and see if they have it on record?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
Mbdurham17
Captain
Mbdurham17's Avatar
76
Rep
846
Posts

Drives: 2016 M5 CP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nashville

iTrader: (1)

Also check for piggy backs could have something plugged in somewhere

You are gonna like the MPE makes my 16 seem so much different than my 14 just because of the sound alone
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
josec70
Captain
162
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: 15" BSM M5
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: 305

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I know
But why wouldn't they even mention?!
I may understand the fact it was sold to Braman and from Braman to the Hickory NC dealership and then off to me!! Many steps but still one previous owner who put a bra, lowering springs and I don't know coil over so or not, blacked out the wheels and put Exhauste MPE that alone cannot possibly account for the sheer madness I have been experiencing which isn't translates into tangible speed (Any M5 is slow to me now as I have Tesla P90DL) but rather in character and personality of the car on the road if you will!!!

How can I find out ?!!!
Man, I wouldn't be surprised if the car has a tune give some of the other mods you mention the previous owner put on the car.

You can easily find a piggy by checking the OBD II port; a flash tune's another animal that will be harder to detect. If it's a piggy you can look up the tuner and go from there.

Dyno the car and and see where you are power wise; an MPE exhaust doesn't do much other than change the exhaust tone so if the numbers are high you're probably tuned.

Good luck.
__________________
15' F10 M5| BSM| B&O | KW HAS | Max 360 HW-Blendmount | Velos S2 2PC Forged 21" | Cool Carbon (Front) - Akebono (Rear)| IND Package| 3M | Velos Stage 1| CF RKP Lip | CF M-Performance Center Diffuser | Akrapovic Exhaust | K&N | Charcoal Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
You could also approach the tuners on here with you vin and see if they have it on record?
Tough one
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Man, I wouldn't be surprised if the car has a tune give some of the other mods you mention the previous owner put on the car.

You can easily find a piggy by checking the OBD II port; a flash tune's another animal that will be harder to detect. If it's a piggy you can look up the tuner and go from there.

Dyno the car and and see where you are power wise; an MPE exhaust doesn't do much other than change the exhaust tone so if the numbers are high you're probably tuned.

Good luck.
Now that's a good idea!
Will dyno and see where we are!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #11
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Question is!
If you have a Tune
Would you reflash it or ask Dealer to update software just for peace of mind if warranty?!
Have 2 years left and 30K so good but if factory warranty!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
TrevorM3
Brigadier General
738
Rep
4,977
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

thats totally up to you. If you're breaking traction in 3rd gear WOT, you can bet your ass it's been tuned. Imo, i would feel like shit buying a car and not knowing it was tuned. And it's quite possible that the dealer had no idea either (because the car hasn't had any repairs done in house)


and to answer your question, yes your car can be flagged for a modified ECU. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:16 AM   #13
josec70
Captain
162
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: 15" BSM M5
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: 305

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Question is!
If you have a Tune
Would you reflash it or ask Dealer to update software just for peace of mind if warranty?!
Have 2 years left and 30K so good but if factory warranty!!!
This your 3rd M5 correct? I assume you have a relationship with an SA that you trust? I would have an honest conversation with him or her.

If you ask to reflash back to stock tune you're letting them know you're tuned so it's a catch 22 in a way.

I would dyno and go from there; no use in doing something about possibly nothing.

PM me if you wish to discuss the dealership that sold the car to the mom and pop.
__________________
15' F10 M5| BSM| B&O | KW HAS | Max 360 HW-Blendmount | Velos S2 2PC Forged 21" | Cool Carbon (Front) - Akebono (Rear)| IND Package| 3M | Velos Stage 1| CF RKP Lip | CF M-Performance Center Diffuser | Akrapovic Exhaust | K&N | Charcoal Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:29 AM   #14
Igor_M5
Igor_M5's Avatar
United_States
270
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: MCB F10 M5 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Igor_M5
Just pop the engine cover off and peep on top of the DME's... see if theres more than 1 decal or a clearly visible hole.

(Theres another sticker below the plugs, but you shouldn't be able to see that one unless you pulled the DME's off completely.)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
129
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

I don't think it's necessary to dyno. Those who have had flash tunes always describe as night/day difference, and OP has ownership experience with stock car. The consensus is that the DMEs will need to be examined for tampering.

If the OP is dead set on getting rid of the tune for warranty purposes, I'd go back to the dealer who sold you a tampered car with technically voided warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
LI-M5
Lieutenant
57
Rep
541
Posts

Drives: 2016 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

sounds like he likes the beest mode ?

but trevor is right if later on something major happens bmwna can and will flagg your shit if they find holes in ecu which they will look for w any major waarr. issue

now w that said its a gamble if you dont say anything now they will assume you flashed it when and if there is a problem

if you do say something who knows they may flag your ass now or take her back to stock idk?

but im sure its a brahman / vistaa car so thats all good the other problem comes into play is that you bought from a mom/pop bmwna might be like well sorry or whoaaa hold on we gotta take care of this !! i really donno what i would do in your position..

def get it dyno'd , lets see what she makin then you prolly wanna put some serious thought into how to procede if shes flash'd

flash'd means someone beet her , and although great reliable cars we all know things break and chances of warr.. work are high but in no way form shape fashion do you wanna foot that bill hmmm idkwtf !!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post
sounds like he likes the beest mode ?

but trevor is right if later on something major happens bmwna can and will flagg your shit if they find holes in ecu which they will look for w any major waarr. issue

now w that said its a gamble if you dont say anything now they will assume you flashed it when and if there is a problem

if you do say something who knows they may flag your ass now or take her back to stock idk?

but im sure its a brahman / vistaa car so thats all good the other problem comes into play is that you bought from a mom/pop bmwna might be like well sorry or whoaaa hold on we gotta take care of this !! i really donno what i would do in your position..

def get it dyno'd , lets see what she makin then you prolly wanna put some serious thought into how to procede if shes flash'd

flash'd means someone beet her , and although great reliable cars we all know things break and chances of warr.. work are high but in no way form shape fashion do you wanna foot that bill hmmm idkwtf !!

Neil
You put a smile on my face Neil with this post!
Thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #18
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
I don't think it's necessary to dyno. Those who have had flash tunes always describe as night/day difference, and OP has ownership experience with stock car. The consensus is that the DMEs will need to be examined for tampering.

If the OP is dead set on getting rid of the tune for warranty purposes, I'd go back to the dealer who sold you a tampered car with technically voided warranty.
There's no other way knowing without flagging myself by BMW
The SA is the nicest guy in the world but there's only that much that those guys can do when sh** hits the fan!! I believe I told him don't flash it in case it has a good tune in an email because who knows it might have a really good one!! All I know is car is super crazy and tires which hve more than 60-70% tread spin for no reason even when I was driving over 50-60!!! And certainly feels like a different car!! But I have a Tesla P90D so i am trying to convince myself hat it's the EV bs Gas car sheer personality differences that I am perceiving as different M5!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

I think I owe the forum an update with an apology
As it turns out! I know nothing about cars
Car isn't tampered with and has no Tune and BMW confirmed no wires, Tampering with DME or any signs of Tune! And they will update it too for free!

Now I must say I am still surprised yet perversely and unambiguously happy that I have 30K of warranty left!

Interesting the SA commented HOW THE CAR CERTAINLY FELT FASTER!! And they have no clue why?!! And I capitalized on their bewilderment and asked for DME to be updated to most recent upgrade!!

Is their a chance still it was tuned and I just stupidly asked them to reflash?!

Hope not
Silly meeeeee
Tesla has electrified my gas car speed awareness ina Ludicrous unacceptable self driving manner
Many puns not intended LOL
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #20
Reemas Dreemas
Private
3
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: NICE
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

maybe you have a factory freak f10 m5 on your hand. lolololol. but you should of just get in dyno'd like everybody suggested.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #21
Mike Benvo
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
993
Rep
6,594
Posts

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Sounds like you need a tune

Easy to tell by looking at the ECUs if it's been tuned or not.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #22
soooma
M5D
soooma's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
2,460
Posts

Drives: M5 LCI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Sounds like you need a tune

Easy to tell by looking at the ECUs if it's been tuned or not.
It's already as crazy as it is!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST