Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

New M5 F10 owner, different kind of review

Picked up my Imperial blue and cohibabraun M5 some weeks ago. I had the old M5, M6 and the current M3. I thought I would not do the extensive drivers review, but give a different persperctive. Tell you things you hopefully don't know.

The quality of the car is so much better than the E60, nicer materials, more expensive, luxurious feel to the cabin. It also looks so much better from the outside even though it is only 2 inches wider than a regular 5 series.

Do not miss the V10 at all. The torque of that V8 kicking in simply makes you giggle like a girl. I never really cared for the sound of the V10. This V8 really sounds much nicer on a daily basis. The V10 needs to be pushed to shine, the V8 always produces a wonderful sound. The farting can only be heard on youtube. It doesn't do that IRL. Love the V8's cold start.

I have not noticed this artificial sound thingie. If I didn't know about it, I wouldn't even know it's there. A non issue.

Love how the i-drive picks up addresses from my iphone and makes them selectable to the gps. Saves so much time.

Love this little steering wheel button on the right, that upon touch displays a list of radio stations/tracks, next to the speedometer that you can scroll and select. No i-drive fiddling required.

The new head up display is much better than the old, and the rev counter more useable. Displaying the speed limit is also very useful when on unfamiliar roads.

No more slot for the key. Just keep it in your pocket and press start. I don't have keyless go, so it doesn't work on the doors. Free of charge standard feature. It was explained to me as a safety feature. The key in the ignition would always end up in someones knee/leg during a collission.

Wonderful lighting up of the door handles at night. Very classy.

Great that the mirrors fold up when pressing down on the fob.

Love the M multifunctional seats. They are very supportive, yet comfortable. Love how the front section of the seats, rolls out rather than slide forward. Now we don't have that gap between the seat and the extended front part. Although I heard that many keep their cell phone there. For me it means no more litter box.

I am still breaking her in, so can't use much power. Had a Golf gti chase me, but applying just a bit of pressure with my right big toe, made me keep up with him easily. Can't wait to go flat out after first service. Giggle time I'm sure.

There is definitely more space in the rear. I am over 6 feet and a 6 feet person sitting behind me is still comfortable.

It is so wonderful not to pull into every single gas station. I did 500 kms (312miles) on my very first tank of fuel. The second was 450 kms (280miles).

I also had the side vents and the kidneys wrapped in high gloss black 3M, matching the window frames. I just couldn't stand the chrome.

I am now awaiting my 21 inch Strasse Forged stepped lip wheels. I will then post pictures of the car. The wheels are my reason for getting this birds eye view option, so I can always see where the curb is in tight streets or parkings in Europe. Useful!

I just wish they didn't put these ugly, no taking off stickers on both sides of the passenger sun visor.

I am now waiting for AC Schnitzer to finish their remap testing in June. I know I always want more power. As much as I praised the E60, time has moved on and there is new King in town.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Congrats on your new beast! I agree there's a lot more refinement and interior is much better than on E60, I looked at a new 7 series in a car was and my interior (fully optioned) was better than of that 7 series. I could be wrong but I think front seats are as big as in 7 series too. Drive safely and post some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
tugodumchik
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious
Picked up my Imperial blue and cohibabraun M5 some weeks ago. I had the old M5, M6 and the current M3. I thought I would not do the extensive drivers review, but give a different persperctive. Tell you things you hopefully don't know.

The quality of the car is so much better than the E60, nicer materials, more expensive, luxurious feel to the cabin. It also looks so much better from the outside even though it is only 2 inches wider than a regular 5 series.

Do not miss the V10 at all. The torque of that V8 kicking in simply makes you giggle like a girl. I never really cared for the sound of the V10. This V8 really sounds much nicer on a daily basis. The V10 needs to be pushed to shine, the V8 always produces a wonderful sound. The farting can only be heard on youtube. It doesn't do that IRL. Love the V8's cold start.

I have not noticed this artificial sound thingie. If I didn't know about it, I wouldn't even know it's there. A non issue.

Love how the i-drive picks up addresses from my iphone and makes them selectable to the gps. Saves so much time.

Love this little steering wheel button on the right, that upon touch displays a list of radio stations/tracks, next to the speedometer that you can scroll and select. No i-drive fiddling required.

The new head up display is much better than the old, and the rev counter more useable. Displaying the speed limit is also very useful when on unfamiliar roads.

No more slot for the key. Just keep it in your pocket and press start. I don't have keyless go, so it doesn't work on the doors. Free of charge standard feature. It was explained to me as a safety feature. The key in the ignition would always end up in someones knee/leg during a collission.

Wonderful lighting up of the door handles at night. Very classy.

Great that the mirrors fold up when pressing down on the fob.

Love the M multifunctional seats. They are very supportive, yet comfortable. Love how the front section of the seats, rolls out rather than slide forward. Now we don't have that gap between the seat and the extended front part. Although I heard that many keep their cell phone there. For me it means no more litter box.

I am still breaking her in, so can't use much power. Had a Golf gti chase me, but applying just a bit of pressure with my right big toe, made me keep up with him easily. Can't wait to go flat out after first service. Giggle time I'm sure.

There is definitely more space in the rear. I am over 6 feet and a 6 feet person sitting behind me is still comfortable.

It is so wonderful not to pull into every single gas station. I did 500 kms (312miles) on my very first tank of fuel. The second was 450 kms (280miles).

I also had the side vents and the kidneys wrapped in high gloss black 3M, matching the window frames. I just couldn't stand the chrome.

I am now awaiting my 21 inch Strasse Forged stepped lip wheels. I will then post pictures of the car. The wheels are my reason for getting this birds eye view option, so I can always see where the curb is in tight streets or parkings in Europe. Useful!

I just wish they didn't put these ugly, no taking off stickers on both sides of the passenger sun visor.

I am now waiting for AC Schnitzer to finish their remap testing in June. I know I always want more power. As much as I praised the E60, time has moved on and there is new King in town.
I argee with EVERY statement!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice review and definitely a different perspective. Really enjoyed the litter box comment
      03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice different kind of review like you said

Dark blue and brown combination must look beautiful. Please post pics!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
f10m5QC
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Looking foward for the pics :P
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
you can remove those stickers with Goo Off.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4475

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*

Last edited by matt_435xi; 03-23-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Any pics of the 21's on order?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
you can remove those stickers with Goo Off.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4475
I so agree on the stickers. They drive me crazy. But I have the alcantara headliner so I would be be reluctant to use the method shown for fear of the effect it would have on the alcantara.

A least I have been able to disable the stupid idrive warning !
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
I so agree on the stickers. They drive me crazy. But I have the alcantara headliner so I would be be reluctant to use the method shown for fear of the effect it would have on the alcantara.

Dam better pass that tip on pls.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Dam better pass that tip on pls.
DVDinmotion - they were brilliant. Disabled the restrictions on the video while moving for the kids, and as a bonus I got the idrive warning disabled too. Those guys were brilliant with outstanding customer service.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
savarona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, M5, 3.0cs, e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
The farting can only be heard on youtube. It doesn't do that IRL. Love the V8's cold start.
The fart is definitely there. In M mode when I floor the gas and go up to 7000 RPM the fart appears when upshifting.........and it is sooooo SEXYYYY
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Any pics of the 21's on order?
I will have a professional photo shoot done once I get the wheels and will post pics then.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post

I have looked closely at the stickers, but it seems they are part of the sun visor. I can't find a spot to tear them off. Weird. If oem replacement visors come without stickers I may order one. It really bothers me. And my wife doesn't like having the word "death" in front of her all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Just a quick pic of the car with oem 19"s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Fantastic review, thank you. I am loving the new F10, just a perfect car in so many ways! I want Alpine White and Cohiba Brown - really wish there was a way to get leather on the dash as I have read and heard that in Extended leather the dash is not an option (even in black?).
      03-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Maybe there is a separate part number for the visor? Then you could order it and just not order the replacement stickers?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

You have to go full leather cahiba. But the dash would be black leather nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

Great review. I really wish they did offer full leather in the individual colour's in Canada; I would have ordered it in a heartbeat. I think the cohiba brown looks awesome in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathray View Post
Great review. I really wish they did offer full leather in the individual colour's in Canada; I would have ordered it in a heartbeat. I think the cohiba brown looks awesome in the pictures.
There has got to be a way to do this - I can't see BMW not offering this to Canada and doing it other places. i am going to to reach out to a contact at BMW ///M to see what they say.
      03-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 - Totaled :(

Congrats! I am on the list to take European Delivery in August and was planning on the Imperial Blue Metallic with the Cohiba Brown as well. Do you have any pictures of the interior color where you can see the body paint as well and what colors did you go with for the headliner, trim and dash? Just curious to see how happy you are with it and if you had to order again if you would have picked different combos? Thanks and enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpurv99 View Post
Congrats! I am on the list to take European Delivery in August and was planning on the Imperial Blue Metallic with the Cohiba Brown as well. Do you have any pictures of the interior color where you can see the body paint as well and what colors did you go with for the headliner, trim and dash? Just curious to see how happy you are with it and if you had to order again if you would have picked different combos? Thanks and enjoy the ride!
It is a fantastic combination. Dark blue en dark brown individual extended leather/standard dark grey headliner. Next month I will have a pro shoot done. I personally did not see any reason for a black leather dashboard, as it is hardly visible. The stitching is so tiny, unlike the E60 and the M6. I could not part with the extra 6,000 dollars for some dash and door leather.
Appreciate 0