M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
M5 European Delivery questions

Did a search but there doesn't seem to be much in terms the specifics.

1.) Why does BMW offer a 7% discount on ED cars? Is it done in agreement to spur their economy? Is this only open to US purchases, all of NA or everyone except Europe?

2.) How does it work? I go there, meet my car at Welt then drive it around. When I'm done give it back and BMW takes care of all the shipping to a dealer near me? Are there any additional costs - if so is it just regular destination?

Seems like a no-brainer to do if Im already planning a European Vacation, although Id be hesitant to park it in places Im unfamiliar with.

thx
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
Did a search but there doesn't seem to be much in terms the specifics.

1.) Why does BMW offer a 7% discount on ED cars? Is it done in agreement to spur their economy? Is this only open to US purchases, all of NA or everyone except Europe?

2.) How does it work? I go there, meet my car at Welt then drive it around. When I'm done give it back and BMW takes care of all the shipping to a dealer near me? Are there any additional costs - if so is it just regular destination?

Seems like a no-brainer to do if Im already planning a European Vacation, although Id be hesitant to park it in places Im unfamiliar with.

thx
There is a step-by-step guide on the BMW website that walks you through ED. BMW offers this on the cars produced in Germany (i.e., not South Carolina). I am not sure of the exact details of why they offer the discount (I guess I could look that up if you really would like to know), but the main justification is that you as an individual are bringing the car back to the US, not a German company importing to its US affiliate and then selling it. They have figured out the numbers to make it worth their while to offer you a discount and still bear the expenses of actually getting it to you without making less money than if they just sold it to you straight up in the US. I apologize if that isn't the 100% most accurate answer, but I am doing ED on my M5 and the bottom line is I still get the same car as if I bought it off the lot, except I will end up spending less by doing ED. Like you, I will be in Europe around that time anyways, so I really don't have that much added expense for swinging by Munich. PLus you get to spend a day at the Welt where you car was born-how awesome is that!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
44

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine


Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlpWhite11
Both US and Canada can do euro delivery. US gets a much better discount.

And that's exactly what happens. You take delivery at the BMW Welt, drive it wherever for up to a month. Drop the car off at a designated drop off point and then it gets delivered to your dealer for re-pickup a few weeks later. You can even have it delivered to the BMW performance center in Spartanburg, SC and take performance center delivery for a an awesome stateside delivery experience. No additional costs to all this re-delivery.

It's a no brainer for you if you'll be there anyway! And you can then share the experience with us while you're there or when you get back
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpurv99 View Post
There is a step-by-step guide on the BMW website that walks you through ED. BMW offers this on the cars produced in Germany (i.e., not South Carolina). I am not sure of the exact details of why they offer the discount (I guess I could look that up if you really would like to know), but the main justification is that you as an individual are bringing the car back to the US, not a German company importing to its US affiliate and then selling it. They have figured out the numbers to make it worth their while to offer you a discount and still bear the expenses of actually getting it to you without making less money than if they just sold it to you straight up in the US. I apologize if that isn't the 100% most accurate answer, but I am doing ED on my M5 and the bottom line is I still get the same car as if I bought it off the lot, except I will end up spending less by doing ED. Like you, I will be in Europe around that time anyways, so I really don't have that much added expense for swinging by Munich. PLus you get to spend a day at the Welt where you car was born-how awesome is that!
That actually makes more sense - thx And I agree, if you're already going there, why not plan it around the delivery of your car too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Found the link on the BMW NA website for ED. It is a step-by-step guide and details what is included in the ED Price.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...y/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
They drill for front plates - no more ED for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Rohardi
Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island


Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
They drill for front plates - no more ED for me!
I've asked this from other people that have done ED, they have all stated that the front Euro plate is taped on, NOT drilled. Has this canged?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
I've asked this from other people that have done ED, they have all stated that the front Euro plate is taped on, NOT drilled. Has this canged?
In this case, Im back in
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
drewmisha
Enlisted Member
1

 
Drives: 2012 x5 4.8 & 2014 CP m5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: south lake tahoe


Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

So what's the verdict? Is M5 ED available with ED pricing and is coming out from ED allocation and NOT from dealer allocation?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Rohardi
Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island


Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
In this case, Im back in
FYI, This is from when I asked this question on the European Delivery forum on bimmerfest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi
If you do a ED, how are the front European plates affixed? I don't have a front plate on my car and don't want holes in my front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern
There held on with double sided sticky tape.
cheers
vern
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed
Even the back plates are put on with a plastic wire type thing. Holes in the rear plate, but not the car. N4S
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23 View Post
In this case, Im back in
If you read the section about taking your personal possessions (the first aid kit, etc) out of the car before you take it to the dock in Germany, they have a bit about the front license plate and that it is taped on and they do not guarantee it's arrival to your dealer.

I really hope that means they don't drill.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
3

 
hakaida442's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV


Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

I don't think companies drill the bumpers. I've known guys that picked up their porsches in germany with a similar program to bmw's ED program and they have never had their bumpers drilled. I'm sure that a few people who have done the bmw ed program can verify this.

ED is looking to be a really cool choice to go on a mini vacation. I'm not sure which package I would go with since I don't know europe very well.

Last edited by hakaida442; 04-27-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
15

 
Drives: Success
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA


Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

The main reason they offer the discount on pricing is due to excise tax. By you taking delivery in Germany, BMW doesn't have to pay excise tax on the car. Done and done.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
7

 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD


Posts: 495
iTrader: (2)

I did ED on my E90 M3 in September. Upon delivery at the Welt, the front license plate bracket was in the trunk. The Euro plate was taped to the front bumper. When the car arrived in the US, the bracket was still in the trunk. Today it's on a shelf in my garage.

The Euro front plate didn't even have holes in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I did ED on my E90 M3 in September. Upon delivery at the Welt, the front license plate bracket was in the trunk. The Euro plate was taped to the front bumper. When the car arrived in the US, the bracket was still in the trunk. Today it's on a shelf in my garage.

The Euro front plate didn't even have holes in it.
Excellent! Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
chudak18
Captain
United_States
38

 
chudak18's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vineland, NJ


Posts: 995
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
European delivery programs are those arrangements that continental European automobile manufacturers make with their dealerships throughout the world, to attract consumers who will combine the purchase of a European-made automobile with a trip to Europe. These are typically aimed at the North American market, which constitute the most profitable market for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo and Porsche. According to an article by Jonathan Spira, who has authored multiple articles on the topic, the programs have their origins going back to American GIs who brought European ("foreign") cars back with them starting in the 1950s.

Sourced from: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_delivery
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
European delivery programs are those arrangements that continental European automobile manufacturers make with their dealerships throughout the world, to attract consumers who will combine the purchase of a European-made automobile with a trip to Europe. These are typically aimed at the North American market, which constitute the most profitable market for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo and Porsche. According to an article by Jonathan Spira, who has authored multiple articles on the topic, the programs have their origins going back to American GIs who brought European ("foreign") cars back with them starting in the 1950s.

Sourced from: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_delivery
You mind if I ask which dealership you use in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
chillin4now's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 at Home
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Smocation


Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Anyone in the know, please confirm that for a ED order the 7% discount applies to the entire car (options included) and not just the base price.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
7

 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD


Posts: 495
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
Anyone in the know, please confirm that for a ED order the 7% discount applies to the entire car (options included) and not just the base price.
The lowest that the options go is US invoice price. You can get that from Edmunds (if they have the M5 pricing already). The lowest the base price of the car goes is ED invoice, which is about 7% below ED MSRP.

The easiest way to estimate the ED price is to start with the ED invoice price, add the US invoice price for options, then add something for the dealer. For an M3, $500 is about the average. For the new M5, it's hard to say. $1,000? $1,500? That seems reasonable but I really don't know.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
chillin4now's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 at Home
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Smocation


Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpurv99 View Post
Ordered this morning:

European Delivery Munich pick up (to add Performance Center later)

135G M5 - Automatic
A89 Imperial Blue Metallic
4BN Dark Wood trim
X3SW Black Full Merino Leather
2NZ 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M
ZEC Executive Package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
428 Warning triangle
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
8S4 Variable Light Decoding

Order Status: 047 - Spec. released-no (I asked my dealer and he said this meant your vehicle is on order and is awaiting a product number. He would have that in June right before production starts.)

Before going to Munich, I plan on adding the 6yr warranty add on and combine with Performance Center Delivery. Dealer confirmed it should be ok.

The real wait begins, but it is a huge relief and amazing feeling knowing my order is in and I'm less than 4 months away from meeting the beast!
I did a ED 11 years ago. Can someone who has done it more recently talk me through the chicken and egg aspect of booking your trip versus when it will be ready for delivery (pick up in Munich). I can tremember how it went. I think after the order, they sent me a window of when I should be there to pick it up. Just cant remember how far that was from the order date (a few weeks...or months).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
2

 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
I did a ED 11 years ago. Can someone who has done it more recently talk me through the chicken and egg aspect of booking your trip versus when it will be ready for delivery (pick up in Munich). I can tremember how it went. I think after the order, they sent me a window of when I should be there to pick it up. Just cant remember how far that was from the order date (a few weeks...or months).
I was told that once it goes into Production (my apologies but I haven't had a chance to go read through the posts with the actual status codes yet) you will be provided with the date that it will be available for pickup in Munich. So my dealer said I would get this in June (right before it goes into Production) and that we are expecting a tentative right now of the first days of September. What I am thinking will happen is when the car actually goes into Production, they will give me a date (hopefully late August or early September) and then I will book (maybe with a 1 day window) and then as we approach the date, my guess is that the car will be done early by a few days and I'll just be able to pickup when I had previously scheduled my appointment at Welt unless we can move it up and get flights changed (best part about having FF status is hopefully changing flights w/o fees ).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
56

 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
So can you trade in a car with ED? Is it still the same as if you are buying the car direct from the dealer?
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST