M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #45
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,462
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I can't get past that ugly grille on the CTS-V. looks like it belongs on Mike Jones teeth. interior is even worse then the exterior. but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose
I'd have to say that the CTS-V is about more than just straight line power. For starters, look at its Ring lap time. Spanked the M3 by over 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I have to disagree with you on the interior. The interior of CTS-V has few nice touches and might look better then the interior of a basic BMW 1 series. Offcourse the cheapest BMW made car in its lineup 1 series is not the best to compare against when it comes to interior quality. It is a 1 series for a reason.

CTS-V is not in the same ball park as M3, M5, or M6 interior which feel more substantial in interior fit and finish and quality of material. Ditto goes for Audi, MB, Jaguar, or even Lexus competitors interiors they all are superior to the CTS interior.

On the other hand it is one of the best interiors among USA made cars. Anyone that is buying the CTS-V knows it is not for the interior it is for a great performance bargain and overall decent pkg.
I'd agree with pretty much everything said here. I thought the CTS-V nav. screen was chintzy but IMHO the E9X M3 interior is pretty crappy too. That's coming from an E90 owner. Just looks outdated. Materials are nice though.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #46
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I'd have to say that the CTS-V is about more than just straight line power. For starters, look at its Ring lap time. Spanked the M3 by over 15 seconds.
Amazing how far some have their heads buried in the 'sand'.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #47
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Amazing how far some have their heads buried in the 'sand'.


They think only euro cars can handle, when even a mustang out handles the M3. Right now, American cars are out handling anything from around the world.
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #48
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,462
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Amazing how far some have their heads buried in the 'sand'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post


They think only euro cars can handle, when even a mustang out handles the M3. Right now, American cars are out handling anything from around the world.
I'm one that will appreciate/buy a quality car made by any manufacturer (well, almost any ), regardless of country of origin. Definitely not brand myopic.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #49
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I'd have to say that the CTS-V is about more than just straight line power. For starters, look at its Ring lap time. Spanked the M3 by over 15 seconds.



I'd agree with pretty much everything said here. I thought the CTS-V nav. screen was chintzy but IMHO the E9X M3 interior is pretty crappy too. That's coming from an E90 owner. Just looks outdated. Materials are nice though.
I'd like to see you match that time in a CTS-V...

Here's an example. Ford claims the Boss 302 is faster then several cars including the M3 at Laguna Seca. Reality is, the Boss has never beaten the M3's times at any other track when tested by several non-american magazines including Evo. Manufacturers lie. Thats why no one cars about Ring times anymore unless independently tested.

Last edited by Digital.James; 05-20-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #50
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Amazing how far some have their heads buried in the 'sand'.
amazing how far some people have their heads up some dude's "ass"
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Because two people are in agreement that you're clueless and made an ignorant comment? You're just making yourself look even more unintelligent.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,462
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I'd like to see you match that time in a CTS-V...

Here's an example. Ford claims the Boss 302 is faster then several cars including the M3 at Laguna Seca. Reality is, the Boss has never beaten the M3's times at any other track when tested by several non-american magazines including Evo. Manufacturers lie. Thats why no one cars about Ring times anymore unless independently tested.
I'd like to see you match the M3's time.

Who cares about the Boss 302? 1 second is substantial. 15 is an eternity.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #53
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Because two people are in agreement that you're clueless and made an ignorant comment? You're just making yourself look even more unintelligent.
where was the ignorant comment? you can act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34
I'd like to see you match the M3's time.

Who cares about the Boss 302? 1 second is substantial. 15 is an eternity.
I'd bet my time was closer to the reported time then the CTS-Vs. The M3s time has been proven by multiple independent tests, where as the CTS-V can't come close to any domestic testing abroad. Why do you think GM has such a bad rap in Europe (See ZR1). Not sure why you can't understand. A factory tweaked car running a quick time proves nothing. Same reason why Chris Harris called out Ferrari, GM is lying and sending out "special cars".

Last edited by Digital.James; 05-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #54
EvosM3
Banned
 
Drives: WTB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: America

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

I like the styling of the CTS and the interior (besides the horrible seats) isn't too bad. The biggest winner is the Bose surround system in the Caddy, I can guarantee you nothing beats the way it sounds. Not even the Bang and Olufsen in some Audi's.
EvosM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
where was the ignorant comment? you can fucking act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...
Ignorant comment here-" but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose"

By all accounts I've seen the CTS-V has be lauded by the vast majority of reviews as a very good handling car and not just a 'strait' line powered car you claim. You fail right there.
Just because you think the two mags are biased and so is the Nurburgring times doesnt make it so. It just makes you paranoid and a tin foil hat wearing, head up ass, myopic, foreign car is better attitude BS you're spewing here.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #56
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Ignorant comment here-" but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose"

By all accounts I've seen the CTS-V has be lauded by the vast majority of reviews as a very good handling car and not just a 'strait' line powered car you claim. You fail right there.
Just because you think the two mags are biased and so is the Nurburgring times doesnt make it so. It just makes you paranoid and a tin foil hat wearing, head up ass, myopic, foreign car is better attitude BS you're spewing here.


As if the euro car mags arent biased. Give them a car with torque and they cant drive. They'll have you believe a 400hp car is as fast as 600hp car.
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,462
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
where was the ignorant comment? you can fucking act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...



I'd bet my time was closer to the reported time then the CTS-Vs. The M3s time has been proven by multiple independent tests, where as the CTS-V can't come close to any domestic testing abroad. Why do you think GM has such a bad rap in Europe (See ZR1). Not sure why you can't understand. A factory tweaked car running a quick time proves nothing. Same reason why Chris Harris called out Ferrari, GM is lying and sending out "special cars".
You have a personal Ring lap time to report? I'm all ears.

Caddy didn't too bad here against a Competition Package M3. Realize that because of the power/size discrepancy this isn't a true apples to apples comparison.

But because the Cadillac "won" the review was biased, right?

http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/c...-m3-coupe.html

You do realize that the verified lap time by the CTS-V was a full 15 seconds+ faster than the M3, right? That's a huge gap.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #58
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,462
iTrader: (1)

Beat the M3 here too:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4ca79a3c1ebd6.html

Is it faster on every track? Probably not. Will the driver make a difference? Always - no matter the car.

Point is the CTS-V can hang and you kind of just popped off at the mouth, for whatever reason, before you knew much about it. It's okay bro. Your car is still awesome but I assure you that there's always someone/something faster.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #59
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,934
iTrader: (0)

There are fanbois (well at least one) here and there are auto enthusiasts here, certain individuals should be ignored
MisterSkiMask is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #60
blue dragon
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Why not just import it from the US?
__________________
blue dragon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #61
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,530
iTrader: (1)

I agree with you the E9x interior design can look pretty plain without the i-drive NAV. But that is because most BMW interiors are designed with i-drive in mind without them they look lost. That is why in higher series cars like 5, 6 and 7 even if you do not get the NAV system you still get the i-drive screen for aesthetic purposes.

None the less you are right the fit and finish is still nice for BMW and Caddy is close but not there yet.

Oh and another thing is that sitting in both my best friends M3's it seems like BMW did a half ass job on the center tunnel for M3's right around the gear box to where the center armrest or storage bin is located. Because in my E92 335i the wood interior runs all the way up to the armrest from the gear box. The entire center tunnel has matching wood. But in the M3 there is no wood or carbon fiber instead a plain jane naked black plastic. Why BMW.....it makes no sense.

Just take a look at these two pics.....why would BMW do half a** job on M car? vs non M car.






One thing that I did like about the CTS-V interior was the suede steering wheel cover it felt real nice and soft on the race track.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

I'd agree with pretty much everything said here. I thought the CTS-V nav. screen was chintzy but IMHO the E9X M3 interior is pretty crappy too. That's coming from an E90 owner. Just looks outdated. Materials are nice though.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-20-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,755
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post


As if the euro car mags arent biased. Give them a car with torque and they cant drive. They'll have you believe a 400hp car is as fast as 600hp car.
Yeah I love how only the American rags can possibly be biased. But the Euro rags.... INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_coder View Post
I think thats a joke, a bad one

Remember that Nurburgring its a benchmark, but most cars from US that "handles like europe cars" are set up just for this specific course. In real road situation and other courses mustang, cadillac etc didnt have a chance. Thrust me I ested lots of cars in my job and writing " American cars outhandling anything from around the world" its just funny... oh wait.. it isnt even funny.

I agree new US cars handles a lot better than models from past years but still dont have this finess , lightness in driving, and allover driver feel. They are just overpowered so they can gain some time on straight thats all. I was at ring few times and i suggested you to go there before you speak sentences like that again.

Dont get me wrong i live US cars for sound they make and power ( Viper srt and Vette Z06 are my fav ) but still when it comes of proper handing and connection between car and driver there is still a lot work to do
"Just for this specific course", referring to the 'Ring? You do know why manufacturers bench there, right? Because it covers pretty much every aspect of balancing a chassis. It's a highly technical and widely varying course.

Please list your credentials behind your expertise on these vehicles, along with a list of those you have driven and where (which I'm sure the Z06, CTS-V, and BOSS are on, right???). Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but your sig screams, HEY I'M VIOLATING ToU, PERMABAN MY IPS IMMEDIATELY. You might want to change that, especially before posting in a thread with a mod.

Anyway, for those saying the times for the American cars are "fake", maybe take a look at the guys who put up a lot of those times. Pobst has chosen Euro cars over American cars after driving them back to back on the same course, even when the American cars win. Now tell me.... Why would he sandbag the Euro car and then pick it anyway? He wouldn't.

I think it still takes more skill to extract the full potential of a lot of these cars, BOSS and Shelby included (and I'd imagine CTS-V and ZL1 as well). The balance of steering and feedback along with their predictable tendencies at the limit make the amateur driver feel like they can go faster in the M3 versus some of these cars. That makes a metric shit tonne of sense. However, one has to realize that these professional drivers, like Pobst, have the skill and experience to drive the American cars much faster than your average Joe. It doesn't surprise me that some of you think the M3 is faster from the driver's seat. That's to be expected when amateurs are at the wheel (<--- This is NOT a dig at anyone, I'm an amateur too). However, this isn't necessarily going to translate to faster lap times in the hands of a pro. They're professionals for a reason.

As far as the accusation that GM sent out a hero car to do that lap.... Who doesn't send ringers to the media? Off the top of my head, the ridonkulous '07 335i that was making rounds is one I can think of. All manufacturers do it. If your hero car doesn't lap as fast as the other guy's hero car, maybe their car is indeed faster? Maybe you just suck at setting up your hero car.... I don't know. But in the end, why is it so hard to believe a 556 HP car can lap the ring that fast? Because of its weight? Well I don't mean to compare the CTS-V to the GT-R, but Godzilla has proven weight can be effectively ignored to an extent (albeit through a great AWD system). What about the M5? That thing has been thumbing its nose at curb weight for a long time too. So now when Cadillac does it, it must be faked? Gimme a freaking break.

Last edited by ragingclue; 05-21-2012 at 08:57 AM.
ragingclue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #63
Genericuser1
Lieutenant
 
Drives: four wheels
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: usa

Posts: 578
iTrader: (0)

Where are you guys seeing $12,500 off MSRP, best I can see online is $2k to dealers and $2k in loyalty or conquest cash?
Genericuser1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #64
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I agree with you the E9x interior design can look pretty plain without the i-drive NAV. But that is because most BMW interiors are designed with i-drive in mind without them they look lost. That is why in higher series cars like 5, 6 and 7 even if you do not get the NAV system you still get the i-drive screen for aesthetic purposes.

None the less you are right the fit and finish is still nice for BMW and Caddy is close but not there yet.

Oh and another thing is that sitting in both my best friends M3's it seems like BMW did a half ass job on the center tunnel for M3's right around the gear box to where the center armrest or storage bin is located. Because in my E92 335i the wood interior runs all the way up to the armrest from the gear box. The entire center tunnel has matching wood. But in the M3 there is no wood or carbon fiber instead a plain jane naked black plastic. Why BMW.....it makes no sense.

Just take a look at these two pics.....why would BMW do half a** job on M car? vs non M car.






One thing that I did like about the CTS-V interior was the suede steering wheel cover it felt real nice and soft on the race track.

Jesus what do you guys drive Bentleys???

The interior is Awesome.. The seats don't peal, the buttons work right, you can see the digital screen, and best of all no foam dash.. Its a win win everywhere..
Attached Images
 
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #65
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,755
iTrader: (1)

I personally would like the interior better if it was less glossy, and I abhor pop-up nav screens.

But I still like it better than the E9X interior. Again, just MHO.
ragingclue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #66
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I personally would like the interior better if it was less glossy, and I abhor pop-up nav screens.

But I still like it better than the E9X interior. Again, just MHO.
My girlfriend HATEs American cars it took 2 trips to the dealership just to convince her to sit in it and she was shocked.. I didn't like the way the seats looked but man were they comfortable.

When I have been looking for cars to replace my BMW I never dreamed it would be a Cadillac. But its that good.

Also I will NEVER deal with BMW ever again.. BMW NA obviously didn't want my business the way they treated me. They kiss your ass when you are buying the car but when you need help cus the car is having problems they do not care.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST