BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

More initial impressions...

Since others are posting their early impressions of their new cars (and not always positive I note), I thought I would add my comments while the thoughts are fresh and before I get too used to the car...

After 600km in mine, I'm thinking this car will take longer to get used to than most. It CAN feel heavy - if you find yourself in the wrong mode in the different settings. It can also feel extremely agile once you have programmed it the right way. The steering is curious - sometimes at low speeds it feels full of feedback and other times it is dead and remote. Moving to sportier settings doesn't help much and the heaviest setting feels just plain unnatural to me.

The fake engine noise through the stereo? I think I can hear it - a trebly V6 kind of noise, and certainly nothing like a V8. But I haven't been over 5000rpm yet so I'm reserving judgement on this point.

On really narrow roads, the car is just plain too wide but on other winding roads, it is pretty special with no body roll and huge front end grip with that wide rubber. I'm really happy with the ride of the car - firm but quite luxurious.

The gearbox is fine but I've got several cars with double clutch boxes so I'm not as overawed as someone who just got out of an SMG. The clutch take up is OK but it doesn't really like the second gear starts that gentle driving brings in some modes. The stopstart isn't as slick as some other cars I've driven either.

I love the look of the car, especially in MCB, and the seats feel excellent and the dashboard is modern. The whole car has a high quality feel to it. I ordered the sun protection glass without realising that it means a fairly heavy tint, but that gives it a meaner look - or so I've convinced myself.

I'm really looking forward to getting some more miles on it and taking it for a long, long drive. But first things first - clearbra goes on next week...

By way of comparison, I bought an E63 wagon a few weeks ago. I've done 1,000km in this car. It is nicer to drive at normal speeds than the M5 with a lovely natural V8 exhaust note and sweeter steering. The seats hold you tighter but ultimately aren't as comfortable as the BMW's. I drove both cars yesterday over the same 50km stretch of hilly, winding road and felt happier in the AMG which just feels more impressive at normal (but quick) speeds. It has a superbly taut ride/handing balance and is simpler to program the suspension and gearbox set-up than the BMW. I was blown away actually - a wagon that felt better than an M5, if a bit less sophisticated in the cabin.

I'm keeping an open mind on the M5 as I think more seat time will reveal more of its full abilities. And it is fun to discover slowly how different settings can transform the feel of the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by mhh; 05-21-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Thanks for the comparison comments! Very cool to be able to evaluate these two cars back to back. I'm not surprised to hear that a wagon can be well balanced, particularly one with the pedigree of the E63!

I'll be interested to hear which settings on the BMW most closely match your preference on the E63. There's something to be said for simpler, although flexibility may end up enabling you to cover a broader range of applications with the M5. As you wrote, it may take time to figure out how to best configure the M car.

I'll try to keep my questions under control, but....

Regarding seats, do you have the width adjustable seat in the M5?

Does one or the other feel stronger - more eager to go?

How does the E63 like being pushed harder, closer to the cornering limits, in rapid transitions?

Cheers, and thanks for describing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I picked the car up on Saturday and now have 600kms on it the car is growing on me intial driving it felt cumbersome and the steering was heavy compared to the 335 and x6.

Just did a 300km road trip to pick up my mom and bring her into chemo and the car was comfy on the highway. Average 22mpg at 130kmph on the way down and 25.7mpg on the way back at around 114 so I'm happy with that! On the x6 I averaged 500kms a week so it's nice to see the decent gas mileage!

I can report that I am enjoying the car more and more as the days go by.

Might be on a road trip to Calgary with my friend in his lp560-4! Car should be over to 2000km break it real quick! Then the fun begins!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Thanks for the impressions, I look forward to further updates. Especially after break-in is performed...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Flying M
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post

Regarding seats, do you have the width adjustable seat in the M5?
I'm sure that he has. Only Canada got M5 without width adjustable M seat
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying M View Post
I'm sure that he has. Only Canada got M5 without width adjustable M seat
Yes, my seats adjust for width but the AMG holds you tighter.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll try to keep my questions under control, but....

Does one or the other feel stronger - more eager to go?

How does the E63 like being pushed harder, closer to the cornering limits, in rapid transitions?

Cheers, and thanks for describing your experience.
Performance feels similar (E63 has performance pack) - the Merc has more torque. I haven't thrown the cars around too much but at middling speeds the AMG turns in more sharply. I'm hoping the M5 will shine more at high speed. We are talking fractions here - both are great.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Fedemol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 523

what options you included. Can i see more pisc. Your cars, both, are wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedemol View Post
what options you included. Can i see more pisc. Your cars, both, are wonderful.
Australian spec is pretty complete including full leather. I added rear entertainment, rear seat heating and reading lights, sun protection glass, garage door opener, soft close doors. I think that's it.

No high quality pics, sorry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thanks. Nice write up. Is your interior platinum or Silverstone?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
Subway35
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6M

Thx for sharing! MCB M5 looks really good!
      05-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Thanks. Nice write up. Is your interior platinum or Silverstone?
Silverstone.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I like your numberplates more than the cars lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
I like your numberplates more than the cars lol.
Almost certainly a better investment.

Clearbra goes on tomorrow and 800km trip coming up on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep

I love the sat nav showing in the back seat. It'd be a great response to the inevitable question from the kids... "Are we there yet?"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
Performance feels similar (E63 has performance pack) - the Merc has more torque. I haven't thrown the cars around too much but at middling speeds the AMG turns in more sharply. I'm hoping the M5 will shine more at high speed. We are talking fractions here - both are great.
im suprised you found the handling/ride better in the e63 amg. i recently got a 2012 cls63 with performance package, and my initial impressions are that it feels unrefined over bumps, harsh as a matter of fact. but at the same time this seems to result in no advantage in handling. and feels much bigger than my e60 m5. (which was such an amazing car to drive) so i would have thought the f10 would be even better in all these ways... (as most people have said).. you seem to be reporting the opposite.

also i find the throttle reponse of the cls quite mushy and generally "unresponsive" in this area. i can actually put the pedal right to the floor and if i let off right away, and the car does absolutely nothing.

not used to that.

if i were to describe the comparison between the e60 m5 and cls63 TT, the m5 felt like being fired out of a cannon when first mashing the throttle.

in the cls63, it feels more like being pushed on a swing.

a bit too "gentle" for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
im suprised you found the handling/ride better in the e63 amg. i recently got a 2012 cls63 with performance package, and my initial impressions are that it feels unrefined over bumps, harsh as a matter of fact. but at the same time this seems to result in no advantage in handling. and feels much bigger than my e60 m5. (which was such an amazing car to drive) so i would have thought the f10 would be even better in all these ways... (as most people have said).. you seem to be reporting the opposite.

also i find the throttle reponse of the cls quite mushy and generally "unresponsive" in this area. i can actually put the pedal right to the floor and if i let off right away, and the car does absolutely nothing.

not used to that.

if i were to describe the comparison between the e60 m5 and cls63 TT, the m5 felt like being fired out of a cannon when first mashing the throttle.

a bit too "gentle" for me.
I can't comment on the CLS comparison as I've only driven one briefly but the M5 is getting better with more experience behind the wheel. I'm nearly at 2,000km in the M5 when the first service is due and then I can give it some more stick. The E63 has done the same km and steps off the line very smartly - it feels faster than my old e60 M5 - so something doesn't sound right with the CLS. I'd ask the dealer to take a look at your car.

BTW, I didn't say the ride and handling of the E63 were better than the M5 - rather that the E63 feels more impressive at normal speeds. I still feel this way. The M5 needs to be set up just right whereas the AMG feels good in default mode. Now the M5 is set up the way I like it, it isn't an issue but the car takes a little getting to know. I'm very happy with both cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
Pushed on a swing... By Thor!?

This will be the toughest thing for keen drivers going from NA cars to turbo's. No turbo charged car that I've driven is as responsive as a naturally aspirated car of similar power. The M5 is the best I've driven in this respect, but there is still a delay from when you command torque and when your vision gets blurry from the g's.

When you get used to the dynamics of the boosted power train, the benefits of torque from the basement and more power just by reflashing the DME make you forget all about the slower than lightening response time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
steelers6
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.2CS

mhh, any new thoughts on comfort comparisons between the M5 and E63? Do you notice any difference in transmission performance at creep along traffic speed?

thanks for sharing any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers6 View Post
mhh, any new thoughts on comfort comparisons between the M5 and E63? Do you notice any difference in transmission performance at creep along traffic speed?

thanks for sharing any thoughts
I would also be interested in seeing a comparison between the two!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Car and Driver kinda did that!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
wolfmobil
Private
Rep
Drives: Horse

Quote:
Pushed on a swing... By Thor!?

This will be the toughest thing for keen drivers going from NA cars to turbo's. No turbo charged car that I've driven is as responsive as a naturally aspirated car of similar power. The M5 is the best I've driven in this respect, but there is still a delay from when you command torque and when your vision gets blurry from the g's.

When you get used to the dynamics of the boosted power train, the benefits of torque from the basement and more power just by reflashing the DME make you forget all about the slower than lightening response time.

I second this. I recently switched from X6M to Panamera GTS. Only then I realized how much I missed NA engine. Such a smooth and progressive power delivery! And the rumbling sound of the engine is really addictive. I put it in sport mode with suspension in normal. I also like the confidence inspired by the four wheel drive. I know the purists will laugh at me. But the way this car puts down its power is amazing. Nothing gets waisted and the stability control doesn't interfere at all.
Appreciate 0