M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
nybimmerfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

BMW Service during European Delivery

I have a question addressed to those who have done previous ED. I'm sure some of your who drove off with their new cars would have surpassed the break-in period. Did you have to go to a local BMW dealer for "Break-in" service? If so, did you have to schedule the anticipated service at an anticipated location? I am trying to figure out where to do it during my ED tour in Southern Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
zzzmmm
SICK
4

 
Drives: MCB F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TX


Posts: 237
iTrader: (0)

good question, not sure.
it would suck your car being tied up all day if that was the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
audiobahn
Private
2

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: essex


Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

good question,
will it be covered by the US free service plan?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 2011 1M & 2011 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC


Posts: 123
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I have a question addressed to those who have done previous ED. I'm sure some of your who drove off with their new cars would have surpassed the break-in period. Did you have to go to a local BMW dealer for "Break-in" service? If so, did you have to schedule the anticipated service at an anticipated location? I am trying to figure out where to do it during my ED tour in Southern Europe.
I did ED on my 1M last summer and scheduled a break-in service while I was in Greece. I recommend you do a little research before you schedule an appointment with any just BMW dealer in Europe. Originally I was going to have the closest BMW dealer do the service but after I spoke with them I realized they didn't even know what a 1M was!!! So I then decided to go to Athens (a 2 hour drive from where I was) and have a dealership in the wealthy side of town do the service since they dealt with M cars all the time.

I recommend you figure out where you are going to be when the mileage hits the Break-in service and than figure where the closest BMW dealer that deals with M cars on a regular basis is and schedule an appointment with them ahead of time. In my opinion, even if it is a 2 hour drive away it will be worth it rather than run into issues with them not having the proper fluids for M cars. You will have to pay for the service which will be expen$$ive!!! But, hold onto your receipts and submit them with your dealership when you get back to the states and they will reimburse you the full amount.

Last edited by C'sM3; 05-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
nybimmerfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

I have read that 4500rpm, 100mph max are recommended during the 1200miles break-in period for the 5 series. Anybody know if this is the same with the 2013 M5? I'm sure that info will be in the Owner's Manual if anybody has one, especially our Canadian neighbors who have already taken delivery of their 2012 M5s, could you tell us what info you have. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
6

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I have read that 4500rpm, 100mph max are recommended during the 1200miles break-in period for the 5 series. Anybody know if this is the same with the 2013 M5? I'm sure that info will be in the Owner's Manual if anybody has one, especially our Canadian neighbors who have already taken delivery of their 2012 M5s, could you tell us what info you have. Thanks.
My Canadian spec car came with the same run-in limits. (170 km/hr = 105 mpg or so)

I was told that if I wanted the first service done in Europe I should pay for it and then submit the receipt to my dealer for reimbursment. If I wanted to exceed the run-in mileage during Euro delivery, no problem, just continue to observe the recommended limits.

There is plenty of fun to be had below 4500 rpm! Choose backroads and the 170 km/hr limit only comes into play occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Vinsanity12
Private
United_States
1

 
Vinsanity12's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston


Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

At what mileage is the first service required?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
6

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity12 View Post
At what mileage is the first service required?
1200 miles or 2000 km was the recommendation. They didn't specify a maximum, just to observe run in limits.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
nybimmerfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
If I wanted to exceed the run-in mileage during Euro delivery, no problem, just continue to observe the recommended limits.

There is plenty of fun to be had below 4500 rpm! Choose backroads and the 170 km/hr limit only comes into play occasionally.
It's good to know that one does not necessarily have to go in for break-in service during ED but just continue to observe the imposed limits until the service is done. In which case, I may just have to continue driving well over the break-in mileage. I will just have to wait until the car gets stateside for the service. Hopefully there won't be a nagging light/sound that keeps sounding/blinking, he he.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
6

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
It's good to know that one does not necessarily have to go in for break-in service during ED but just continue to observe the imposed limits until the service is done. In which case, I may just have to continue driving well over the break-in mileage. I will just have to wait until the car gets stateside for the service. Hopefully there won't be a nagging light/sound that keeps sounding/blinking, he he.
Steady red exclamation point I think... Worrying at first until you realize you're past 2000km. (2400 km total for me!)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
35

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine


Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlpWhite11
Must be hard to be on the unrestricted parts of the autobahn during ED and not being able to open the M5 up because it's still under 1200 miles. But this is a 'first world problem' I must admit
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
32

 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County


Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (1)

I have always followed hard break in on all my cars and motors ended up being stronger and producing a tad more horsepower than the ones that did easy break in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
6

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I have always followed hard break in on all my cars and motors ended up being stronger and producing a tad more horsepower than the ones that did easy break in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I've read Motoman's stuff too!

The most reasonable thoughts I've run across on the topic of engine run-in are that with modern technology and bench run engines, there is little need for 'taking it easy', but in the odd case that something does go wrong, the damage is less if you're not revving hard or making something near peak power.

Many have taken Euro Delivery and driven the car hard from the get-go and suffered no ill effects. I guess it's a risk management excercise. In the immortal words of Dirty Harry "I have one question for you... Do you feel lucky?"
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
32

 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County


Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
I've read Motoman's stuff too!

The most reasonable thoughts I've run across on the topic of engine run-in are that with modern technology and bench run engines, there is little need for 'taking it easy', but in the odd case that something does go wrong, the damage is less if you're not revving hard or making something near peak power.

Many have taken Euro Delivery and driven the car hard from the get-go and suffered no ill effects. I guess it's a risk management excercise. In the immortal words of Dirty Harry "I have one question for you... Do you feel lucky?"
Well said.

As long as people dont hold the car at a constant rpm they will be fine. Always decelerate in lower gears as well. Redlining the car will not hurt it either.
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
aus
Major General
114

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA


Posts: 7,375
iTrader: (5)

Wonder why the S63 needs the break in miles while the N63 doesn't?????
It's not like it's a totally different engine.
And doesn't it use the normal BMW 5W30 oil too?

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST