M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #89
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
43

 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO


Posts: 2,156
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG3356MT View Post
LOL. A friend of mine at work has a 2008 e92 M3 DCT with over 100K on the ODO. He has no issues. Period. This includes numerous track days with the car as well. These "fancy" transmissions aren't paper thin. And this is coming from a manual transmission advocate.
Just because your friend's car hasn't had issues, doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience. I've seen various posts around here from M3 DCT and 135 DCT owners who have experienced issues. Aside from the lag issue that some people seem to have, there have been DCTs that refuse to shift out of park, and others that will only select the odd numbered gears. Fortunately for those owners, their issues were taken care of under warranty. Also, do the DCTs ever need their clutch packs replaced at any point as regular maintenance? I can't imagine that would be inexpensive.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #90
Arena Motor Dude
Master of ________
United_States
4

 
Arena Motor Dude's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi e90 6sp
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburbia, Maryland


Posts: 110
iTrader: (1)

It's just like the Porsche Cayenne GTS. I drove a manual one and while it was really cool and all, it just is to big of a vehicle to have a manual in.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i coupe, manual, Black Sapphire Metallic, OSS style blacked-out headlights w/ LED angel eyes, 3000k HID fogs, LED interior, fully coded, carbon fiber lip spoiler, front splitter, M6 replicas, Koni shocks, H&R springs, Procede 3 and DCI SOLD Current: 2006 e90 330xi 6mt
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #91
visualguy
Second Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: S5/M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA


Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Also, do the DCTs ever need their clutch packs replaced at any point as regular maintenance? I can't imagine that would be inexpensive.
Not clear, but if they do need clutch replacement, it would be at a very high mileage it seems.

With manual transmission, on the other hand, most people end up having to replace the clutch well before 100K miles, and parts of the tranny (like synchros) start wearing out as well. Also, manual results in more stress on the drivetrain, and it's very easy to cause serious damage with simple mistakes that can happen sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #92
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
351

 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE


Posts: 3,201
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
A 7-speed manual is 'in development for the City hatch'? You're thumb-sucking here mate. And manuals are not part of any future EfficientDynamics plans. If you look at the configurator for the new 3 series for example, the autos are more efficient than the manuals in every model.
Actually with EfficientDynamics there is a feature that tells you when to change gear with a manual transmission in order to optimize efficiency.
Some of BMW's best selling (in Europe, mind as I am from Germany) such as BMW 1er diesel and BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics come with manual transmission with the auto as a cost extra.

The seven-speed manual is part of the next phase of EfficientDynamics.
It is purely optimized for efficiency and it is for Front Wheel drive application.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #93
Zlaatan
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: RWD
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sweden


Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

I'm a big MT fan but I wouldn't (won't) order the F10 with a manual. It's just too big and too much of a luxury car IMO.

My guess is that the next gen 5-series is going to be as big or even bigger than the f10 so that BMW have room to introduce more models, the 2- and 4-series, Gran coupes etc.
So the M5/M6gc will be the "luxury" ///M cars and then the M1,M2,M3 and M4 can be more like the traditional M-cars.

But I really don't understand why some people here are happy that a MT won't be offered??? The only reason one would like that is because of spite.. which is pretty pathetic...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #94
cmk227
Major
United_States
26

 
cmk227's Avatar
 
Drives: ED on 2014 M6GC this summer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Irving, TX


Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (2)

BMW I tell you what you should do.

For the next generation charge the same fee for both the manual and the AT transmission.

This will accomplish two things.

1. The additional Markup will help with development cost and clients can still feel like BMW is still the company to be in.

2. It will avoid the stupid question from people that ask if you bought a manual because it was cheaper.

I will most likely be ordering a MT 2013 e92M next year to saving it for the long haul.

In reference to the ///M5 it might be to big for a manual but I would love a n ///M6 manual but when I am spending over $100k on a car it should be my choice if I want a manual or not.
__________________

08 BMW X5 3.0si Space Grey
14 Lexus GX460
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #95
visualguy
Second Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: S5/M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA


Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
For the next generation charge the same fee for both the manual and the AT transmission.
That is already the case for the M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #96
AustinL
Private
1

 
Drives: -11 E91 320d LBE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Finland


Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

Seriously who makes mis-shifts, especially if your driving an M-car? I'm not being sarcastic but I haven't missed a change for at least five years. Probably it would happen on race track more often but I just don't get how someone can miss it on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #97
AhsanU
Private
0

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmani View Post
exactly. i don't understand why people don't want manuals. It's still so much better!
Driving in the city makes manual transmissions sometimes a pain in the arse. I enjoy manuals and everything, but it can be a bit jarring.

No doubt, BMW will see loss of sales with this move. I don't see the logic behind it though. The appeal of an M5 is the ability to drop the kids off at school in a luxurious manner, and then turn into a wild beast on the track in an instant. Some feel a manual is required for the latter, so they won't buy it if it isn't offered in one.

Sucks for the guys who won't buy it because of one.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #98
White person
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: Jet black M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 61727


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

WTF BMW the M cars have to have stick that is what makes them so fun! I think let the People pick what they want to get And keep it on there.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #99
White person
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: Jet black M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 61727


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmani View Post
exactly. i don't understand why people don't want manuals. It's still so much better!
Driving in the city makes manual transmissions sometimes a pain in the arse. I enjoy manuals and everything, but it can be a bit jarring.

No doubt, BMW will see loss of sales with this move. I don't see the logic behind it though. The appeal of an M5 is the ability to drop the kids off at school in a luxurious manner, and then turn into a wild beast on the track in an instant. Some feel a manual is required for the latter, so they won't buy it if it isn't offered in one.

Sucks for the guys who won't buy it because of one.
My father drives in the city every day and loves he car and yes he car is stick. I fell like u have to have more skill with stick cars to not care about traffic. And I really Like what u said about the M5. I would get that in stick.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #100
manicm
First Lieutenant
11

 
Drives: X1 sDrive18i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SA


Posts: 375
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Actually with EfficientDynamics there is a feature that tells you when to change gear with a manual transmission in order to optimize efficiency.
Some of BMW's best selling (in Europe, mind as I am from Germany) such as BMW 1er diesel and BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics come with manual transmission with the auto as a cost extra.

The seven-speed manual is part of the next phase of EfficientDynamics.
It is purely optimized for efficiency and it is for Front Wheel drive application.
You forget the new 3-series included the EfficientDynamics model with both auto and manual boxes - and the auto loses 0% in performance and economy. I think the same applies with the new 1-series. And I think 90% of buyers will plump for the auto.

As for the new city car - well can you give your sources please cos I haven't read anywhere about a manual version.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #101
gds52
Major
42

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 1,445
iTrader: (0)

May be BMW is targeting old ppl for M5 & M6. From old I mean ppl who get old in their mind n not by age. No offense however.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #102
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
351

 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE


Posts: 3,201
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
You forget the new 3-series included the EfficientDynamics model with both auto and manual boxes - and the auto loses 0% in performance and economy. I think the same applies with the new 1-series. And I think 90% of buyers will plump for the auto.

As for the new city car - well can you give your sources please cos I haven't read anywhere about a manual version.
You are getting your city car mixed up with the i3 city car which is in fact RWD. The City Compactive is the BMW hatch that shares much with the next MINI and that is FWD.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #103
Ka razy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2

 
Ka razy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I xDrive Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Heaven on Earth... Coeur d' Alene, Idaho


Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Sure hope I never see the M3 / M4 loose the manual.
__________________
2014 Corvette Z51 Stingray 3LT, 7 M/T
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Retired- 11 BMW 335, 04 BMW Z4, 01 K1200RS, 00 R1150GS
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the Soul!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST