M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,499
iTrader: (0)

Cool Video: BMW F10 M5 Suspension Put Through Paces by Laguna Seca Hotlap

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW F10 M5 Suspension Put Through Paces by Laguna Seca Hotlap
18
COMMENTS

Watch championship-winning racer Scott Pruett in the 2013 BMW M5 Sedan as the tires, brakes, chassis, and powertrain work together to give him the ultimate grip, speed, and control of the 2013 BMW M5 at Laguna Seca.

Here are multiple angles to observe the precise steering and consistent placement of the aluminum-intensive, multi-link rear suspension of the new M5.





Be sure to catch our recent short-term tester review of the F10 M5, if you haven't already, and here are some photos of the 2013 M5 from the Laguna Seca press launch.

2013 F10 M5 Track Press Launch at Laguna Seca

Press Photos from Laguna Seca




For real life looks at the other M5 production colors, see our OFFICIAL F10 M5 Color Photo Threads Master List

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
smashhell
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

I just wanna see the bottom right driver's view of the video.
Anyone have it?
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
smashhell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hartford, CT

Posts: 241
iTrader: (0)

never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.
__________________

e92 335i sport[/b] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
tmurphy2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.
x2!
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
m balla
m balla
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bslava

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

nylon -> aramid -> sulfur modified twaron -> sulfron -> banded at zero -> m light allow wheel -> m adaptive suspension
m balla is offline   Slovakia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
 
kiloil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.
Saw that too, also didn't realize how much the brake line moves around. Almost looked at times, it would touch the hot caliper.
__________________
Fair Tax Supporter.
2009 E92 M3 MT (Gone)
2011 4 Runner Limited 4WD (Gone)
2013 E92 M3 MT (Gone)
2015 M4
kiloil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
never realized how much the tire flexes in turns and how skinny it gets under hard acceleration like a drag car. idk how it stays on the rim haha.
+3 ! ~Frost
__________________
.................................................. ....................
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
Frosty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,469
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
interesting. This car has so much torque coming out of those corners.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Park2670
General
 
Park2670's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CX-5
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UTAH

Posts: 18,120
iTrader: (8)

What an amazing perspective! Awesome video.
__________________
Park2670 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
M3chaser
M3chaser
 
M3chaser's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i, E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Land of the Free

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Wow! This is the first time I catch any car under the skirt

Nice view and what a show,piece of art.
M3chaser is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
visualguy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: S5/M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 271
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3chaser View Post
Nice view and what a show,piece of art.
Works great on the track. Seems like they didn't test it enough on public roads, though... Many report that the rear coil springs don't work well on rough roads, speed bumps, etc., and BMW said they would replace them this coming December. I think BMW needs to diversify their testing of these cars a little more!
visualguy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
johnca
Second Lieutenant
 
johnca's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 Slow CSL
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to johnca
That's amazing to see other perspective from the car...
__________________
johnca is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
M3chaser
M3chaser
 
M3chaser's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i, E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Land of the Free

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Works great on the track. Seems like they didn't test it enough on public roads, though... Many report that the rear coil springs don't work well on rough roads, speed bumps, etc., and BMW said they would replace them this coming December. I think BMW needs to diversify their testing of these cars a little more!
Didn't know this is the case for the current M5.

Hope they thrash the F80 test mules hard before going into production, cos that's going to be my new ride...
M3chaser is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Quite surprised the M5's turbos did not overheat. They most likely added an oil cooler as I heard (and even saw on this forum too) that the turbos overheat so easily, sometimes in a matter of minutes, if the ambient temperature is high enough. This is also one of those things that worry me about the new M3. The M5 is not really a track car, so it may get away with a turbo that overheats, but M3 is meant to be driven in track. With the current M3, you can drive until you run out of gas, nothing will happen. Maybe the pads will heat up a bi t, but that takes an extremely bad abuse and even with that it takes more than half an hour of non-stop usage (which can be remedied on the spot for very cheap), but this goes for any car, maybe even Porsche.
Would you mind linking to this so called "overheat" issue?

I have driven the X6M at Road Atlanta in over 95 degrees with 95% humidity and never overheated. I have driven this M5 in Spain in a heat baked 95 degree track and never overheated. The turbos are cooled in many ways as is the engine. It is run in death valley and tested in a specialized facility to make sure everything is up to par. Considering that these cars were run non-stop for 3 days in a row by journalists and race car drivers with no issues I find the turbo overheat thing to be nonsense.

It's people that spread rumors just to hate on the movement of the modern car that are the issue rather than the car, the new M5/M6 are so much better than the previous models it is laughable.

There was a single instance of high altitudes, low oil and plain old abuse that caused an event but that is not the norm and any car would have issues with those circumstances.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
red-sauerkraut
.
 
red-sauerkraut's Avatar
 
Drives: x-car/m-car
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: northern hemisphere

Posts: 3,693
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Quite surprised the M5's turbos did not overheat. They most likely added an oil cooler as I heard (and even saw on this forum too) that the turbos overheat so easily, sometimes in a matter of minutes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
Would you mind linking to this so called "overheat" issue?

I have driven the X6M at Road Atlanta in over 95 degrees with 95% humidity and never overheated. I have driven this M5 in Spain in a heat baked 95 degree track and never overheated. The turbos are cooled in many ways as is the engine. It is run in death valley and tested in a specialized facility to make sure everything is up to par. Considering that these cars were run non-stop for 3 days in a row by journalists and race car drivers with no issues I find the turbo overheat thing to be nonsense.

It's people that spread rumors just to hate on the movement of the modern car that are the issue rather than the car, the new M5/M6 are so much better than the previous models it is laughable.

There was a single instance of high altitudes, low oil and plain old abuse that caused an event but that is not the norm and any car would have issues with those circumstances.
Great way of clarifying things sir!
__________________
LESS LIMIT. MORE SKY.
red-sauerkraut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
malter2.0
Banned
 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Would you mind linking to this so called "overheat" issue?

I have driven the X6M at Road Atlanta in over 95 degrees with 95% humidity and never overheated. I have driven this M5 in Spain in a heat baked 95 degree track and never overheated. The turbos are cooled in many ways as is the engine. It is run in death valley and tested in a specialized facility to make sure everything is up to par. Considering that these cars were run non-stop for 3 days in a row by journalists and race car drivers with no issues I find the turbo overheat thing to be nonsense.

It's people that spread rumors just to hate on the movement of the modern car that are the issue rather than the car, the new M5/M6 are so much better than the previous models it is laughable.

There was a single instance of high altitudes, low oil and plain old abuse that caused an event but that is not the norm and any car would have issues with those circumstances.

People spreading rumors? You mean people like our moderator on this website and CAR magazine journalists?

Limp mode on second lap:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071
malter2.0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
People spreading rumors? You mean people like our moderator on this website and CAR magazine journalists?

Limp mode on second lap:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623071
In both situations it was high altitude and high heat. Did anyone ever read the codes to see what was the trigger? No, so for all we know in these two isolated instances the limp mode may have been a function of emissions, fuel starvation or the turbos boost pressure going too a level deemed to high which was done to compensate for the the thinner hot air.

My guess would be the latter as in one of those tests an AMG had the same issue. From my experience the E60 M5 had issues on heat baked tracks with short straights and that was an NA engine.

Outside these two situations (one also reportedly had been low on oil IIRC) there have been no noted issues and honestly in Spain it was blistering hot and the cars would have had issues if heat was the lone inducer of the "limp mode"

Two cars in probably 2,000 track occurrences for the new M5 is nothing. Doing 25 laps at full tilt on the 'Ring with no issues is what its about and these are street cars, not full on race cars- they never were.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
malter2.0
Banned
 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
In both situations it was high altitude and high heat. Did anyone ever read the codes to see what was the trigger? No, so for all we know in these two isolated instances the limp mode may have been a function of emissions, fuel starvation or the turbos boost pressure going too a level deemed to high which was done to compensate for the the thinner hot air.

My guess would be the latter as in one of those tests an AMG had the same issue. From my experience the E60 M5 had issues on heat baked tracks with short straights and that was an NA engine.

Outside these two situations (one also reportedly had been low on oil IIRC) there have been no noted issues and honestly in Spain it was blistering hot and the cars would have had issues if heat was the lone inducer of the "limp mode"

Two cars in probably 2,000 track occurrences for the new M5 is nothing. Doing 25 laps at full tilt on the 'Ring with no issues is what its about and these are street cars, not full on race cars- they never were.
Doesn't matter whether it was high altitude and high heat. Should people in Denver now not buy this car because it is not rated for that altitude? You are speculating on reasons. Actually, it doesn't really matter what the reason was. Car should not go to limp mode. Not sure how your experience with naturally aspirated V10 is really relevant here. It is FI vs N/A and different cars all together. You will always find cars that don't have any problems, just like there are plenty of N54 engines that don't have any HPFP issues at all or early S54s with no rod bearing issues.

The reason why you are not seeing any issues yet is because this car is barely out. Only a handful of people received the car in US and Europe. It is just now hitting the dealership.

I sincerely hope it will not be another N54-deja-vu issue.
malter2.0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST