M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Ak3249
Private First Class

Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

Dinan for F10 M5? How long?

How long does it usually take for Dinan to develop a kit for new M5/6's?
      10-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Captain

Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM

I can't speak specifics but met with Steve recently. They're working on stuff.
      10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
cpiguy
Captain

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I've asked them for an estimate on delivery of their first products and did not get a response.

CPIGUY
2010 M3 Coupe,2011 458 Italia
2014 911 Turbo S, 2014 X5 3.5
cpiguy is offline   United_States
      10-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Rotorocious
Major

Drives: 335i

Wouldnt hold your breath. They are pretty slow and extremely conservative with power gains as well as the most expensive usually.

Better bang for the buck most likely elsewhere.
      10-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Ak3249
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Wouldnt hold your breath. They are pretty slow and extremely conservative with power gains as well as the most expensive usually.

But don't they have a reputation for having the best reliability out of all the BMW aftermarket companies?
      10-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Rotorocious
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249
Quote:

But don't they have a reputation for having the best reliability out of all the BMW aftermarket companies?
That I'm not sure of, but quite possible since their conservativeness leaves a lot of power on the table.

I'm just most familiar with their m6/ 335 offerings in the past. For example their dinan s2 package for the 335 is over $2000. A $700 Cobb flash destroys that s2 package. Who knows if it will be the same for the m5 ,but its very likely.

Other company's coming out with tunes such as switzer are very reliable and known for a very good, well rounded product.

The warranty is what tends to win people over, but from what I've gathered it isn't really your existing BMW warranty but a separate warranty through them.
      10-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
cpiguy
Captain

Garage List
I've used Dinan products for over 20 years. My current M3 had almost every Dinan mod added the day the car hit the dealer 3 years ago. I am extremely please the performance and sound of their mods. The exhaust sound is to die for. I get compliments almost every day, with absolutely no drone.

As a matter of fact I have not had a single issue since the day I got the car, and just bought it from BMW leasing to keep forever.

Their warranty adds some comfort, but I can say Steve Dinan doesn't put a product on the market unless it's been thoroughly tested over several months. Consequently why they're slow to market.

I won't ever run anyone else's tune but theirs, period!

CPIGUY
      10-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

I agree with cpiguy. Unless someone else is prepared to match Dinans warranty, it is a one horse show.

That said, I have a feeling BMW might put out a tune at some point. It's an obvious revenue opportunity for them.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
      10-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy

Drives: F10 M5/F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I agree with cpiguy. Unless someone else is prepared to match Dinans warranty, it is a one horse show.

That said, I have a feeling BMW might put out a tune at some point. It's an obvious revenue opportunity for them.
It all depends what needs to get on warranty .... I have owned two Dinan modified cars and as longs as it's simple stuff which doesn't involve BMW (ie engine/transmission etc) you'll be fine. Once BMW needs to be involved I can tell you from my own experience things get very "interesting" and you're pretty much left on your own to arbitrate between the BMW dealer and Dinan ... you can also not CPO Dinan cars
Dinan does great engineering and their parts are of high quality but warranty is still a major concern . In particular on the new M5 BMW has made it much harder to do anything on the engine side which is undetectable and not void the factory warranty.
13 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / Color matched side and front grills (lightly tinted LEDs) / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / Hartge Springs / HRE S107
jmh is offline   United_States
      10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
///M1
Brigadier General

Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:

+1.

Speaking from personal experience as I have had a Dinan car, some products are well engineered, others are rebranded parts off the BMW bin (e.g. E39 M5 short shifter which is nothing other than the E46 M3 shifter with a 'D' logo on it). Some products are simply terrible, like the exhaust for the 1M that was just released a few weeks ago after over a yr longs wait - it requires chopping/cutting your stock exhaust and welding theirs on, worse of a solution than if you were to walk into a Meineke. And all 3 categories: good/bad/ugly, are priced extremely high.

And their warranty may keep you warm and fuzzy at night, until it is time to test it. Many horror stories where customers have been stuck between Dinan and BMW and have had to pay out of pocket as each points the finger opposite way. Definitely better bang for the buck elsewhere IMO.
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
///M1 is offline   United_States
      10-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
MakeEmDrool
MD, PhD, and OPP

Drives: M3 E92, F10 M5 on zee wei

I can add from personal experience that I contacted Dinan once about product info for my now about-to-be outgoing 09 M3, and got a strong waft of "I'm better than U" on the phone. Exclamation on that with them telling me they were going to "check on it" then never got back to me.... even tho like a cheap ho I lowered myself and called back, u know - in case "they forgot".

I'm glad business is good for them, but as far as I'm concerned they "can be fruitful and multiply....but not in those words" (Heywood Allen)
      10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Ak3249
Private First Class

The reason I'm interested in Dinan is I found a BMW dealer which is also a Dinan dealer. From what I heard if you install your Dinan parts there they wont void your warranty if you service your car at the dealer.
      10-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
MakeEmDrool
MD, PhD, and OPP

Drives: M3 E92, F10 M5 on zee wei

This is absolutely true- there are many authorized BMW dealers who are also dinan dealers too. Makes for a very desirable arrangement that way.

But doesn't change the opinion (of I'm glad more that just me) that they are not without compromise on multiple fronts. Professionalism yada yada...business sense blahblahblah... so they came across jerks to me... so what...maybe the sales rep found out that day his wife was cheating on him or he just stubbed his toe on way to answer my phonecall... who knows, who cares. Instead think if it at brass tacks - you are paying a premium, for not a whole lot - despite the "convenience".

Last edited by MakeEmDrool; 10-22-2012 at 12:41 AM.
      10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
cpiguy
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeEmDrool View Post
This is absolutely true- there are many authorized BMW dealers who are also dinan dealers too. Makes for a very desirable arrangement that way.

But doesn't change the opinion (of I'm glad more that just me) that they are not without compromise on multiple fronts. Professionalism yada yada...business sense blahblahblah... so they came across jerks to me... so what...maybe the sales rep found out that day his wife was cheating on him or he just stubbed his toe on way to answer my phonecall... who knows, who cares. Instead think if it at brass tacks - you are paying a premium, for not a whole lot - despite the "convenience".
One thing I'll admit is they definately have an attitute. Having dealt directly with Steve Dinan, it starts at the top.

CPIGUY
      10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
P-TownM3
///Mmmmm

Drives: '15 SSII F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
I've used Dinan products for over 20 years. My current M3 had almost every Dinan mod added the day the car hit the dealer 3 years ago. I am extremely please the performance and sound of their mods. The exhaust sound is to die for. I get compliments almost every day, with absolutely no drone.

As a matter of fact I have not had a single issue since the day I got the car, and just bought it from BMW leasing to keep forever.

Their warranty adds some comfort, but I can say Steve Dinan doesn't put a product on the market unless it's been thoroughly tested over several months. Consequently why they're slow to market.

I won't ever run anyone else's tune but theirs, period!
P-TownM3 is offline   United_States
      10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
SlammedR8
Brigadier General

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
One thing I'll admit is they definately have an attitute. Having dealt directly with Steve Dinan, it starts at the top.
That's where it would end for me, attitude from employees and more importantly the owner of a company? And your still willing to give them your business?

I'd love to have customers like you....
      10-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
cpiguy
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
That's where it would end for me, attitude from employees and more importantly the owner of a company? And your still willing to give them your business?

I'd love to have customers like you....
Hey there, I'm originally from Toronto. Anyway, tell me where to send the money.

CPIGUY
      10-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
SlammedR8
Brigadier General

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Hey there, I'm originally from Toronto. Anyway, tell me where to send the money.
PM sent

haha!
      11-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
dbk540

Drives: 03 540 M-Sport

I have had to take back a Dinan " tuned" car, to the tune of $2500, that was terrible. Dinan, including Steve, gave me a hard time. No recommendations here.
      11-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
noushy
///M Fan

Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

I have had Dinan tuning in my E63 and my E70 X5. No reliability issues, excellent sound and performance but expect to pay for it. On my new F13 M6 I have an Akrapovic exhaust because I wanted titanium and I knew Steve would not do it but I am holding out for his cold air intake and tuning. His parts meet or exceed every BMW factory part. On an $8000 Akra exhaust one of the clamps was defective and they had to overnight a second one. I have never had a faulty Dinan part, ever. I hope this helps. BTW the E63 exhaust on my previous M6 was amazing in sound but not a huge gain in performance.

Noushy