M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
ucla95
Striker
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Someone on another forum reported being offered 2 months payments or a 2 day M School.

Worth quite a bit more than 1 day school and $1500.

Last edited by ucla95; 10-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.
ucla95 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Anyone have a phone number to call BMWNA?

Does it matter if my car is on a boat right now?

What will my down time be?
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
Bimmer6
Major
 
Bimmer6's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 991S/F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
Anyone have a phone number to call BMWNA?

Does it matter if my car is on a boat right now?

What will my down time be?
It's the 800 number in the website, or send an email from the link on the website. Tomorrow may be a holiday if not they answer rather quickly, and ask do you have a case worker assigned to you? I assume your pump is on the failed list, and if so get details when will your pump be shipped out? Also which VDC are you going to? I asked that my car be repaired at the VDV, and it was at the New Jersey location. Good luck
Bimmer6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
dropstart67
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

newbie here...sorry guys if this doesn't post right.

I was also told I would be compensated 1 month's lease payment (which amounts to just under 1500.00 USD). This phone call came from BMW NA. They said payment would be generated automatically from BMW NA and that I wouldn't have to do anything else.

My vehicle is to be towed away within the next 45 minutes back to the dealership which called Friday saying they had received the oil pump. I didn't want them to store the car over the weekend so I rescheduled for today.

I hope everyone here has a quick turnaround/pump replacement too.
dropstart67 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
mikeF10M5
Registered
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

As some have mentioned, it's not just the out of service impact of this major product defect and recall. The repaired cars have higher risk of oil leaks in the future relative to a factory oil pan and pump seal. Also, it's clear that these cars were delivered with a major defect that was discovered after delivery causing catastrophic engine failure. Other defects in this component that didn't cause obvious damage are as yet unknown. BMW's quality control on this run of cars is questionable and compensating to address that by really standing by the product would be appropriate.

There is out of service and resale impact on this product from BMW's failure. Extended warranty coverage would help compensate some of the resale impact on the cars.

BMW communicated to me that they would offer $1500 and an M class (don't know if it's 1 or 2 day) which I don't think is adequate compensation for hassle and harm for myself and other buyers who paid premium prices for this early run of M5s.

I asked for 6yr/100k extended warranty coverage for the car which seems fair under these circumstances but that was rejected. I think pursuing a class action in this case may be the only way to get fair compensation for this hassle and resale impact.

A $1500 offer (I have already done comparable M driving classes and don't need that) unfortunately is a token offer that doesn't fairly compensate. If I had to resell the car in the next 12-18 months I'd expect a $4-5k lower price given the major defect the car had from the factory vs a car that didn't have any known major defects because most resale buyers would avoid this run of cars.
mikeF10M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #28
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AUstin Texas

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

I couldn't have said it any better. I agree with you 100%. This is not what I bargained for and I don't plan to accept this. If forced to by BMW I will also pursue legal action but I hope BMW doesn't force my hand.
jgarvish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
PatrickC23
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PatrickC23's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 AW/SO ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NNJ

Posts: 1,726
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeF10M5 View Post
If I had to resell the car in the next 12-18 months I'd expect a $4-5k lower price given the major defect the car had from the factory vs a car that didn't have any known major defects because most resale buyers would avoid this run of cars.
Agreed - if I were in the market for a used F10 in 12-18 months, why would I buy one that had the recall performed versus one that didn't, unless it came at a substantial discount?
__________________
Retired - 2009 C63 l 2007 Supercharged RRS l 2002 e46 SMG ///M3 l 2001 e46 330ci

2013 Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 - 20" Modulare Matte Titanium Brushed B18s - Coded by the best, V12
2014 Jeep JKU Wrangler Willys Wheeler W Unlimited - Granite Crystal/Black
PatrickC23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
 
SleepTight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

Took a call from BMW NA today. Letters are going out in the next two weeks to all owners of cars with recalled oil pumps offering One-Day M School as compensation.

I asked about other possible compensation and was told BMW is not considering monetary compensation at this time.

Just FYI.
SleepTight is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
AGS
Captain
 
AGS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 698
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
Took a call from BMW NA today. Letters are going out in the next two weeks to all owners of cars with recalled oil pumps offering One-Day M School as compensation.

I asked about other possible compensation and was told BMW is not considering monetary compensation at this time.

Just FYI.
Interesting, thanks for the update. I picked up my car last Friday, and have been waiting for a call from BMW NA since it seems they've been calling owners once their cars are back on the road (and likely in a better mood).

I guess they've given up trying to talk to individual owners and have just pegged a common offer.
__________________
Current: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 (ED on 9/1/12), 2014 Anvil Willys Wheeler Jeep Wrangler (weekend toy)
Previous: 2009 Carbon Black E60 M5, 2006 Silverstone II E60 M5, 2003 Sterling Grey E39 M5, 2000 Anthracite E39 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
AGS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #32
Rob///M5
Major
 
Rob///M5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I have not received my ordered car yet (at VPC since 10/4), but I was offered a $1k refund. Was hoping to have car this week - now am hearing it may be a couple more weeks
Rob///M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
cmhsam
Major
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (0)

Are they going to cover airfare and lodging as well? Why should I have to pay for out of pocket expenses to take advantage of their "compensation package". Doesnt seem like much compensation to me to have to pay transportation costs.
cmhsam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
ucla95
Striker
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Doesnt seem like much compensation to me to have to pay transportation costs.
+1, knowing the quality company BMW is I don't believe they'll try to just offer this as compensation.

Last edited by ucla95; 10-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.
ucla95 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AUstin Texas

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
+1, knowing the quality company BMW is I don't believe they'll try to just offer this as compensation.
Maybe but BMW has refused to pay transportation to the VDC to inspect the repair of the damage that they did to my M5.
jgarvish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #36
AGS
Captain
 
AGS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 698
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarvish View Post
Maybe but BMW has refused to pay transportation to the VDC to inspect the repair of the damage that they did to my M5.
I understand you are upset and frustrated about the oil pump issue and the fact that your car was damaged, but did you really expect BMW to fly you to the VPC? I saw the picture you posted of the damage and it appeared to be a scratch on the front right fender. I could understand if the car broke loose on the ship and slide into another car - then you could argue risk of frame damage. But a scratch?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just some friendly advice, if you act irrationally you'll get nowhere. Make reasonable fact based requests and you have a shot at getting to a satisfactory outcome.
__________________
Current: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 (ED on 9/1/12), 2014 Anvil Willys Wheeler Jeep Wrangler (weekend toy)
Previous: 2009 Carbon Black E60 M5, 2006 Silverstone II E60 M5, 2003 Sterling Grey E39 M5, 2000 Anthracite E39 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
AGS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AUstin Texas

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I understand you are upset and frustrated about the oil pump issue and the fact that your car was damaged, but did you really expect BMW to fly you to the VPC? I saw the picture you posted of the damage and it appeared to be a scratch on the front right fender. I could understand if the car broke loose on the ship and slide into another car - then you could argue risk of frame damage. But a scratch?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just some friendly advice, if you act irrationally you'll get nowhere. Make reasonable fact based requests and you have a shot at getting to a satisfactory outcome.
AGS, thanks for the comment. No offense taken. My point was that BMW wouldn't pay for transportation for one person to OK a paint job on damage that they have admitted was wholly their fault so there is no way that they will pay for transportation for hundreds of M5 owners to a free program that they are offering to those folks.
jgarvish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
ucla95
Striker
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Anyone gotten a firm compensation offer yet?
ucla95 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
727jbh
Lieutenant
 
727jbh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Moonstone
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Florida

Posts: 586
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Are they going to cover airfare and lodging as well? Why should I have to pay for out of pocket expenses to take advantage of their "compensation package". Doesnt seem like much compensation to me to have to pay transportation costs.

I'm not even interested in the M school and I'm certainly not going to pay for me and spouse to travel and attend.
__________________
2013 M5 Moonstone Metallic
2011 550i Dark Graphite Metallic (sold)
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
2004 745Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
2000 740i Titanium Silver Metallic (sold)
727jbh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
ucla95
Striker
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
I'm not even interested in the M school and I'm certainly not going to pay for me and spouse to travel and attend.
+1
ucla95 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #41
Ak3249
Private First Class
 
Ak3249's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95 View Post
+1
+2
Ak3249 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AUstin Texas

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249 View Post
+2
Agreed, +3. I have received several offers but haven't accepted any of them yet. All of the offers have strict confidentiality requirements so you will likely not get anyone to speak up who has actually agreed to a deal that is worth anything.
jgarvish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
Bimmer6
Major
 
Bimmer6's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 991S/F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarvish View Post
Agreed, +3. I have received several offers but haven't accepted any of them yet. All of the offers have strict confidentiality requirements so you will likely not get anyone to speak up who has actually agreed to a deal that is worth anything.
When you say strick confidentiality are you saying a document must be signed? This is the first I have heard of that? I was offered several goodwil offers, and nothing of the sort was said.
Bimmer6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #44
jgarvish
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 Cayman S & '13 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AUstin Texas

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
When you say strick confidentiality are you saying a document must be signed? This is the first I have heard of that? I was offered several goodwil offers, and nothing of the sort was said.
Yup, written document. If you weren't asked to sign anything then I assume that the value of the "good will" gestures were not significant. Correct me if that's inaccurate. I also wasn't asked to sign anything until the numbers got higher.
jgarvish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST