M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
M5 Orthodox
Private
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington, WV

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Triple Black M5 (tinted) Photos

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Ok, you guys twisted my arm...here are some photos of my trip black M5, post-tint (35%). Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87425042@N04/
M5 Orthodox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Rohardi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island

Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Yummmmmmmmm!
Rohardi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Bmw 335I
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Florida

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Looks so much better tinted.
Mike_305 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
hsiaochinsan
中華民國大總統
 
hsiaochinsan's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area/Cupertino

Posts: 1,143
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
dark knight..cool!
__________________
hsiaochinsan is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Rob@StrasseWheels
 
Rob@StrasseWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Florida

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Rob@StrasseWheels
Looks great!

Helped you out with posting the pics too!













__________________
Rob@StrasseWheels is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
k_evink
New Member
 
Drives: SG m5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Looks awesome!
k_evink is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,536
iTrader: (0)

bad-friggin-ass!
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
727jbh
Lieutenant
 
727jbh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Moonstone
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Florida

Posts: 586
iTrader: (0)

Absolutely beautiful!! Enjoy!!!
__________________
2013 M5 Moonstone Metallic
2011 550i Dark Graphite Metallic (sold)
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
2004 745Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
2000 740i Titanium Silver Metallic (sold)
727jbh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
lumberman
Private First Class
 
lumberman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Macau

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

mind sharing what's the % of the tint?
lumberman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
M5 Orthodox
Private
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington, WV

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberman View Post
mind sharing what's the % of the tint?
35%
M5 Orthodox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Rob///M5
Major
 
Rob///M5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
What brand of tint did you go with?
__________________
Rob///M5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,547
iTrader: (0)

M5 Orthodox,

Thank you for posting these pictures. It really helps me to design my personal look for my Triple Black as well.

I personally am going to go with about a 17% tint all around, and after looking at your pictures I think that I am going to do the gloss black front grills like you have and the painted reflectors. I think with those two things it really makes the M5 look clean up front.

As for the side grills, here is where I am still on the fence. To be honest with everyone, at first I hated the chrome grills (Rant coming). I really did hate them. But then they grew on me on the Monte Carlo Blue. I don't think that they look bad on the Monte Carlo Blue, but I don't think they look great either. I think blacking out the side grills on every other color, including the Monte Carlo Blue looks fantastic.

But, for Sapphire Black Metallic, I'm just not sure still. I'm pretty sure that I want to tint the side grill signal light to a dark tint, but I kind of think that the chrome on the side grills for the Sapphire Black Metallic exterior color gives the same effect as the blackened out side grill on any other color, it provides contrast.

I dunno, I'm still having difficulty with this. Thank goodness I have another month to decide before my M5 gets back stateside from Euro Delivery. I was even thinking about doing something different like, blacking out the chrome on the side grill and then doing the inside mesh in maybe a dark grey color or something, just to provide a little contrast there.

Can any one provide any thoughts or opinions. I'm really having a tough time deciding! Thanks guys!
__________________
All I know is that the next generation M5 is going to be so much faster than the F10 M5 the way that the F10 M5 is so much faster than the E60 M5 and so on.
RPiM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
s4awd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 360
iTrader: (0)

I think the chrome looks great on the sapphire black. It accents the car well. If you swap them out for black units, the car becomes invisible especially at night. If I had a very light colored car, silver or white , I'd blacken out the chrome to make the car look aggressive like an M5 should. Otherwise they end up looking too "nice" like a 7 series especially in the silver/gray colors. I think the black M5 looks way too brute as is and needs the chrome to give it some pop. Some people may like the I'm angry at the world look, but to me, the chrome is a must especially on the side vents. That's not to say Orthodox's M5 is not pure hotness, just another point of view.

Last edited by s4awd; 09-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.
s4awd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
I think the chrome looks great on the sapphire black. It accents the car well. If you swap them out for black units, the car becomes invisible especially at night. If I had a very light colored car, silver or white , I'd blacken out the chrome to make the car look aggressive like an M5 should. Otherwise they end up looking too "nice" like a 7 series especially in the silver/gray colors. I think the black M5 looks way too brute as is and needs the chrome to give it some pop. Some people may like the I'm angry at the world look, but to me, the chrome is a must especially on the side vents. That's not to say Orthodox's M5 is not pure hotness, just another point of view.
Yeah this is what I am feeling like. I feel like the chrome on the Black Sapphire Metallic give the M5 the accent it should have that the blacked out chrome grill gives every other color, even Imperial Blue I think.

See my picture below for debate.

I took this in Monaco. Here in this photo, the chrome grill really brings out that extra accent that defines the M5. If a black grill was in its place, this accent would be missed.

Such a hard decision to make. Hmmm...
Attached Images
 
__________________
All I know is that the next generation M5 is going to be so much faster than the F10 M5 the way that the F10 M5 is so much faster than the E60 M5 and so on.
RPiM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
 
PrecisionP's Avatar
 
Drives: ATPC's
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: US

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

I would say play around with photoshop with all the pictures you have. Changing the chrome to black and going with a lighter mesh or keeping the chrome and gloss black the mesh. You could even thrown in some roundel blue to match the calipers. On the black M5's I think the chrome flows well. But I'm also the type that like my wheels to have a chrome lip. If you don't plan on having any other chrome, I would say black it and find a contrast color for the mesh. My humble .02
__________________
PrecisionP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
M5 Orthodox
Private
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington, WV

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah this is what I am feeling like. I feel like the chrome on the Black Sapphire Metallic give the M5 the accent it should have that the blacked out chrome grill gives every other color, even Imperial Blue I think.

See my picture below for debate.

I took this in Monaco. Here in this photo, the chrome grill really brings out that extra accent that defines the M5. If a black grill was in its place, this accent would be missed.

Such a hard decision to make. Hmmm...
Thanks for the comments guys. RPiM5, let me see if I can help you make up your mind. First off, I think it is almost impossible to sit there and imagine how any color combo would look, (even if you have pictures of someone else's car) without seeing it for yourself IN PERSON. My whole stance on pictures has been that I think they're sub-par and cannot capture the essence of the M5.

In my opinion, the chrome on the front and side grills has no place with a Black Sapphire M5. True, it adds contrast, but it does so at the expense of cheapening the overall look of the car. Almost like someone with poor taste went through and added chrome just to make the car more flashy.

When you view the car in person Black Sapphire Metallic and Gloss Black are NOTHING alike. The two in combination are sublime. They make the car look unified, intimidating, and with a sort of armored look that should be reserved for the military. Black Sapphire has also shown many faces that I couldn't have imagined. In direct sunlight it looks extremely metallic. At dusk, or in a parking garage with dim lighting, it almost looks like a gunmetal black. No sparkles, no reflections, just a deep black (nothing like matte but far from metallic). And actually, in dim light the gloss black ends up being shinier and stands out more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is plenty of contrast between the two blacks, and your eyes will appreciate this without you necessarily realizing what's happening. You simply cannot get this subtle/elegant effect from chrome.

The other day I blew past a lady on the highway, and when she pulled up next to me at the exit, she said I scared the shit out of her and that my car was like a "bat out of hell". Favorite response to my car yet.
M5 Orthodox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
 
PrecisionP's Avatar
 
Drives: ATPC's
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: US

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. RPiM5, let me see if I can help you make up your mind. First off, I think it is almost impossible to sit there and imagine how any color combo would look, (even if you have pictures of someone else's car) without seeing it for yourself IN PERSON. My whole stance on pictures has been that I think they're sub-par and cannot capture the essence of the M5.

In my opinion, the chrome on the front and side grills has no place with a Black Sapphire M5. True, it adds contrast, but it does so at the expense of cheapening the overall look of the car. Almost like someone with poor taste went through and added chrome just to make the car more flashy.

When you view the car in person Black Sapphire Metallic and Gloss Black are NOTHING alike. The two in combination are sublime. They make the car look unified, intimidating, and with a sort of armored look that should be reserved for the military. Black Sapphire has also shown many faces that I couldn't have imagined. In direct sunlight it looks extremely metallic. At dusk, or in a parking garage with dim lighting, it almost looks like a gunmetal black. No sparkles, no reflections, just a deep black (nothing like matte but far from metallic). And actually, in dim light the gloss black ends up being shinier and stands out more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is plenty of contrast between the two blacks, and your eyes will appreciate this without you necessarily realizing what's happening. You simply cannot get this subtle/elegant effect from chrome.

The other day I blew past a lady on the highway, and when she pulled up next to me at the exit, she said I scared the shit out of her and that my car was like a "bat out of hell". Favorite response to my car yet.
This is true, pictures can never capture all the little nuances our eyes can. Things can look bland on photo and pop in real life or vice versa. It's tough enough just making any decision let alone without the subject at hand at your disposal. I feel your pain...
__________________
PrecisionP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
 
LAKEOM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
Ok, you guys twisted my arm...here are some photos of my trip black M5, post-tint (35%). Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87425042@N04/


Did you tint the front windshield or is that stock? Thanks
LAKEOM5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
EdM5
Major
 
EdM5's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 CP & E70 X5 Xdrive35d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (0)

Triple Black: my kind of Bimmer.
Congrats!
__________________
2004 e87 118d (ret.), 2006 e92 335d (ret.), 2007 e92 330d (ret.), 2007 e87 130i M-sport (ret.), 2009 e92 M3 (ret.), 2010 f10 535d M-sport (ret.)
2009 e70 X5 35d & 2014 f10 M5 CP
EdM5 is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
RPiM5
Brigadier General
 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

Posts: 4,547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Orthodox View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. RPiM5, let me see if I can help you make up your mind. First off, I think it is almost impossible to sit there and imagine how any color combo would look, (even if you have pictures of someone else's car) without seeing it for yourself IN PERSON. My whole stance on pictures has been that I think they're sub-par and cannot capture the essence of the M5.

In my opinion, the chrome on the front and side grills has no place with a Black Sapphire M5. True, it adds contrast, but it does so at the expense of cheapening the overall look of the car. Almost like someone with poor taste went through and added chrome just to make the car more flashy.

When you view the car in person Black Sapphire Metallic and Gloss Black are NOTHING alike. The two in combination are sublime. They make the car look unified, intimidating, and with a sort of armored look that should be reserved for the military. Black Sapphire has also shown many faces that I couldn't have imagined. In direct sunlight it looks extremely metallic. At dusk, or in a parking garage with dim lighting, it almost looks like a gunmetal black. No sparkles, no reflections, just a deep black (nothing like matte but far from metallic). And actually, in dim light the gloss black ends up being shinier and stands out more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is plenty of contrast between the two blacks, and your eyes will appreciate this without you necessarily realizing what's happening. You simply cannot get this subtle/elegant effect from chrome.

The other day I blew past a lady on the highway, and when she pulled up next to me at the exit, she said I scared the shit out of her and that my car was like a "bat out of hell". Favorite response to my car yet.
Dude (I said dude a lot, I'm from SoCal), I love your description!

Thank you for offering your perspective. It makes a lot of sense to me. Didn't really realize the difference between the Black Sapphire Metallic and the Gloss Black. What do you think about Matte Black for either the Side Grill or the Front Grill or both? Do you think Matte Black would be too non conforming for BSM?

I really value your opinion. Oh and awesome story about that lady! Love to hear that stuff! LOL!
__________________
All I know is that the next generation M5 is going to be so much faster than the F10 M5 the way that the F10 M5 is so much faster than the E60 M5 and so on.
RPiM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
M5 Orthodox
Private
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington, WV

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
Did you tint the front windshield or is that stock? Thanks
Windshield is not tinted.
M5 Orthodox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
M5 Orthodox
Private
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington, WV

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dude (I said dude a lot, I'm from SoCal), I love your description!

Thank you for offering your perspective. It makes a lot of sense to me. Didn't really realize the difference between the Black Sapphire Metallic and the Gloss Black. What do you think about Matte Black for either the Side Grill or the Front Grill or both? Do you think Matte Black would be too non conforming for BSM?

I really value your opinion. Oh and awesome story about that lady! Love to hear that stuff! LOL!
Dude, I get it. I'm from SoCal too. Went to med school at UCSD. La Jolla is gorgeous.

If you get the grills from IND (which I would highly recommend you do), they have a nice protocol for combining gloss black on the surrounding part of the side grills with matte black on the mesh (this is the standard technique if you order gloss black). Similarly, they do gloss black on the surround of the front grills as well as the front surface of the vertical bars, with matte black on the interstices. I think if you did matte black on the entire grill, it would look too dull juxtaposed with the Black Sapphire Metallic.
M5 Orthodox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST