M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

At Last! My F10 M5 Euro Re-Delivery Post and Final Thoughts.

Bimmerpost F10 M5 Community,

As many of you know I have finally taken re-delivery of my M5 after doing an epic European Delivery trip way back on Sept 1st. I just wanted to offer some final closing remarks since taking re-delivery yesterday.

First off I would like to say that 10 weeks was way too long to wait for the car to get back me. With that, I will say that European Delivery is not for the faint of heart, but in the end it was definitely worth it, as I now have some very fond memories and experiences from driving my M5 in Europe for 6 days. Just knowing that my particular M5 was driven on the Nurburgring is a feeling of elation that is almost impossible to match. And the fact that I was able to save a boat load of money on the price of the M5 makes it worth it in the end as well. European Delivery is for those who understand the meaning of delayed gratification rather than those who only know instant gratification. I guess you pay a premium, which is US MSRP when you buy directly from the dealership here in the U.S. Watching all of the other people in the country take delivery of their new Beasts, driving them, taking them to the SEMA show, and even to the Shift Sector Runway Races was all pretty disheartening while I was waiting, waiting, and waiting for my M5 to get back to me.

After I picked it up last night however, I will say that the eternal waiting I did was well worth it. There is nothing like the BMW M5, it doesn’t matter which generation. This type of car, this type of BMW is to me what a high performance sedan should be, and like I said, it doesn’t matter which generation. In their time, each M5 was always the benchmark of what a super saloon should be, and it still is.

Jon at BMW of Santa Barbara was just phenomenal as always. He picked me up right on time at the train station and drove me to the dealership in 5-Series GT. We made jokes on the way there, with him making the funny comment that the dealership uses the 5er GT as a shuttle because they simply cannot sell such an ugly looking car. Haha! He dropped me off right in front of my M5 and then went to go park the shuttle.

When I first saw it I just felt this huge feeling of relief. Like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I thought to myself, “it’s actually here, right in front me, I’m not imagining it!” Jon feels like every delivery no matter U.S. or European Re-Delivery should be an experience to remember. He set a huge red bow on top of it like many of you have seen on cars such as BarryB’s M5. It is simple things like that, that sets him apart from every other BMW salesman I’ve ever met. He also mentioned to me that all of the F10 M5 customers he has met because of my referral to him are just another breed of M5 owners. More than enthusiasts, people beyond passion, we bleed white and blue, and I think he’s right. I gave him a T-Shirt that I bought him at the Welt that I had been waiting 2 and ½ months to give him as well, he loved it. I’m a firm believer that business shouldn’t just be business; it should be personal and meaningful as well.

As I left the dealership, sitting in driver’s seat, feeling the squishiness of the ///M steering wheel in my hand, and making that first turn out of the dealership, there was an extreme sense of surrealism swept over me. My senses simply could not comprehend that I was driving the same car that I raced an Audi R8 on the highway in France with, or the same car that I hit 162mph on the Autobahn with, or the same car that I felt the presence of God with while driving on the Grossglockner Pass in Austria. No it didn’t feel real to me at all. In fact my muscle memory was all out of whack when I started driving the M5. I’ve been driving my manual 5spd Fiat 500 for the past 5 months now and I kept moving my left leg up and down as if I needed to push in the clutch on the manual. LOL!

As soon as I got on the highway I put on some music to blast on the Bang & Olufsen sound system and was on my way home. After driving some time on the highway, I actually became a little depressed. The reason was because I was trying to take it easy in the new M5, chilling in the middle lane doing the speed limit, and I was having Toyota Priuses fly by me on the right, and Ford Expiditions on my ass. There were two things wrong with this picture, 1. there’s like no Priuses in Europe, and 2. nobody and I mean nobody passes on the right in Europe. In over 2,000 miles of driving on European roads and highways did I ever see anyone commit either one of those 2 atrocities. This saddened me. To me, I felt like perhaps, the best days of driving in the 560hp F10 M5 were already behind me. I could never drive the way that I did in Europe again, at least not legally. American drivers are so horrible that it almost just angers me at times.

I hit a lot of traffic in LA, despite my best attempts to use my WAZE App on my iPhone. There were also a few clowns that tried to race me in 6mph traffic. I was like really?! I soon realized that I had to adapt to my environment again, and accept the old motto, if you can’t beat them, join them. Soon enough I was using my 500ft/lbs of torque to dart in between Priuses and get away from them. After the traffic opened to normal cruising speeds I had 2 motorcycle CHP cops on my ass at different times. I thought they were going to pull me over because I left the Euro Plate on my trunk. But no, they just wanted to harass me I guess. I ended up not getting pulled over, but man I just wanted them to leave me alone. In the end, I know I will have fun with this M5 just as I did with my E60 M5, but I just have to acclimate myself back to the cat and mouse game with American police, and the dodging of idiot drivers again. That drive along Highway 1 in Malibu sure was epic though.

When I got home, I carefully backed the new Beast in my garage, being ever so careful. It was great going to bed last night knowing that she was finally home. I almost slept in the M5 last night too. LOL! I just wanted to continue to know that it was real.

So now, life goes on. I am already taking the new Beast to my first car event in San Diego this Saturday. Bimmerpost Member Rob///M5 is going to join me with his as well. We’ll get some great pix. I don’t have time to put any clear-bra on or start to do other mods within the next couple of weeks because I am too busy with my schedule though. I did get some Trac-Wrap for temporary protection and will be doing a Sunday mountain drive in the morning. I should be able to get my friends to join me. After that I am planning on Opti-Coating the entire M5 on Sunday.

I will continue to share pictures, videos, mods, tips and tricks on Bimmerpost. Overall, this has been a great resource and an awesome community and I’m very proud to be a member. I would also like to take a moment and thank many board members that have helped me out along the way. In no particular order, I'd like to give a special shout out to:

BarryB
UCLA95
AGS
CMHSAM
KrispyKreme
StealthPilot
Chudak18
RacerLouis

So if any of you are ever in San Diego, and you see a black F10 M5 fly by you at 150mph that’ll be me.

Here's to the next chapter,

RPiM5
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 11-15-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

FINALLY! great writeup, congrats!
that f10 gt shuttle comment made me laugh, it's so tru. bmw failed big time on it

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Congratulations Dave, glad to see you back in the driver's seat!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Great write up. It was a pleasure meeting you in Munich. I will be in CA 12/29-1/7 so if we make it down to SD will give you a shout. Enjoy your car. Well deserved
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Congrats !
      11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Dope!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Love the signature
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Congrats...

I think everyone that did/does ED has that same 0-75mph..."oh, I'm there" anti-climactic moment of disappointment when returning to driving on American roads. Glad to read you are going to get some track time.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
BodyPlexM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Back

Congratulations!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Congrats man! Can't believe it took so long. The good news is that driving the f10 M5 nnnnnever gets stale. Every time you start her up, your heart jumps! The best is yet ahead. Enjoy my friend.
      11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Super stoked for you Dave. Finally. And your write up...well, it couldn't have been any more accurate. 100% agree with every word.

Now, it is time to drive the snot out of these cars
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Tomorrow is the big San Diego SoCal Euro Event at Qualcomm Stadium. I'll be sure to take my good camera and take lots of pix. Also, the sweet thing about taking re-delivery is also that I already broke it in, in Germany, so I've been mashing on the throttle a couple of times these past couple nights. OMG the power!

Also I tested out that trick where you are cruising on the highway and then floor the gas pedal and at the same time click and hold down the left paddle shifter. Damn what a rush! It's like engaging warp drive! Lol!

Also, I discovered something yesterday that completely surprised me. I guess I didn't read the manual thorough enough or forgot, but I discovered the 6 disc CD/DVD player in the glove compartment. I was like, what is this tag hanging down, I go to pull it off, and then the player just smoothly drops down, and I was like holy crap! LOLOLOLOL!

Can't wait for tomorrow though!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Also I tested out that trick where you are cruising on the highway and then floor the gas pedal and at the same time click and hold down the left paddle shifter. Damn what a rush! It's like engaging warp drive! Lol!
Never heard of that one, I'll have to try it after my break-in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Also, I discovered something yesterday that completely surprised me. I guess I didn't read the manual thorough enough or forgot, but I discovered the 6 disc CD/DVD player in the glove compartment. I was like, what is this tag hanging down, I go to pull it off, and then the player just smoothly drops down, and I was like holy crap! LOLOLOLOL!
Me too. I thought because we're able to save files to the 20GB HD, they did away with the CD changer. Great discovery and congrats on getting your baby back.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Dave, thank YOU. You helped a lot of us! It is great getting to know you. Next time we meet I'll probably be in a rental in SD and you will be in your M5.
Looking forward to the next chapter.....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Happy to see it work out Dave. And THANK YOU! If it wasn't for all the work you did researching ED pricing over the summer I wouldn't have ordered my M5, or had the great ED experience.
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Enjoy!

I can identify with your posts. The first time I cam back from Europe after driving there, it took me about 8 seconds to become violently angry at the quality of the drivers in the US. It is pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
PappSchlumpf
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Reading your writeup almost made me cry, I am so blessed to live in Europe... I am able to drive my M5 in the AutoBahn whenever I want... People are extremely respectful and highways are super nice! I had to wait 3 months since I ordered it... and then took it straight to my garage from Munchen
Appreciate 0