M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
hsiaochinsan
中華民國大總統
 
hsiaochinsan's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area/Cupertino

Posts: 1,144
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
Very nice. Please do share the M6 steering wheel once it is completed. What time will the appreciation day start?
__________________
hsiaochinsan is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #24
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan
Very nice. Please do share the M6 steering wheel once it is completed. What time will the appreciation day start?
I believe 10:30am.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #25
1230vani
Major
 
1230vani's Avatar
 
Drives: F15 30d Msport
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A

Posts: 1,248
iTrader: (0)

Have to say this car looks really good! M6 steering wheel a nice touch and worth the effort with BMW...
1230vani is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Boss330
Brigadier General
 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

Posts: 3,463
iTrader: (0)

Great car and mods Personally I prefer the OEM M5 wheels, but thats just me.

Very tasteful mods and love the M6 steering wheel

On a totally different subject:

What parts were required to do this to your 550i shifter?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotcomb...n/photostream/
Boss330 is online now   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #27
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde
 
koxal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,140
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
You're more than welcome to your opinion. Everything I've done is pretty much readily available on sites like realoem.com and I'm happy to share part numbers, etc. for everything BUT the M6 steering wheel retrofit. There are 2 parts needed that do not exist in BMW's parts catalog and are, for the most part, not available anywhere. But they obviously do exist because they are part of the M6. I have Senior folks at BMW NA and BMW AG working on trying to get me the last, missing pieces. Had you gone through what I've gone through to get to this point you'd probably feel the same way.

Once this is actually complete I'm more than happy to share. Until then I want to keep this under wraps (since I am the first to attempt this) in the unlikely event someone makes more progress than me, or by chance uses the connections I've made to somehow get the parts necessary. That is all.

And you know that other members (like Nate@IND) have withheld part numbers on exclusive parts. I'm not the only one.
anyways, at the end of the day it is your decision to share or not

btw, u have a beautiful car with tasteful mods..! thats for sure
__________________
Sold My Black Beast

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
 
chillin4now's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 at Home
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Smocation

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Tylerstar - Yes, it's ordered. Just hasn't turned up yet. Was hoping to have it in time for the show but guess not. The painted black OEM version will have to do until then.

Rob - The retrofit does work. I'm the first person to ever attempt this. That said, I've been fighting with BMW over this and some "ghost" parts that are required that do not exist in any BMW parts catalog. I'm still missing one critical piece, but functionally it does work. Given the amount of research and homework I've put in to this I'm not going to share anything for the time being. (Though you'd likely end up exactly where I am now.) I will say though that the retrofit is around $2,500.

avi8tir - Possible, but not likely.

Stealth.Pilot - They are the 90mm tips. I think they were plenty big. The 102mm are just too large for my taste. (I ended up going back to Akrapovic as the Eisenmann was just too loud for a daily driver.)

Thanks for the comments everybody!
Are you open to letting us know how we can get new visors, I was suprised how much of a difference it makes to not have those tacky stickers up there.
__________________
Because; whats behind me doesnt matter.
chillin4now is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin4now
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Tylerstar - Yes, it's ordered. Just hasn't turned up yet. Was hoping to have it in time for the show but guess not. The painted black OEM version will have to do until then.

Rob - The retrofit does work. I'm the first person to ever attempt this. That said, I've been fighting with BMW over this and some "ghost" parts that are required that do not exist in any BMW parts catalog. I'm still missing one critical piece, but functionally it does work. Given the amount of research and homework I've put in to this I'm not going to share anything for the time being. (Though you'd likely end up exactly where I am now.) I will say though that the retrofit is around $2,500.

avi8tir - Possible, but not likely.

Stealth.Pilot - They are the 90mm tips. I think they were plenty big. The 102mm are just too large for my taste. (I ended up going back to Akrapovic as the Eisenmann was just too loud for a daily driver.)

Thanks for the comments everybody!
Are you open to letting us know how we can get new visors, I was suprised how much of a difference it makes to not have those tacky stickers up there.
I just had to source them from Europe. In my case I picked them up during one of my visits to London along with whatever goodies I could travel with.

When I post the additional pictures this weekend I'll add part numbers.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #30
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,188
iTrader: (64)

Tastefully done
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #31
Nate@IND
 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,346
iTrader: (19)

Super clean! Thanks again for everything
__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
star21
Enlisted Member
 
star21's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 en route
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: M-Town

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

wdimagineer - Great list of mods. I think you'd be the Euro equivalent of a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) fiend!

Did the Seibon rear diffuser not work out? Some of the Seibon products look similar to the Manhart products for reasons let's not go in to but is the fitment spot on compared to the Seibon piece? I'd prefer to hear opinions from an actual owner and not a vendor.

It's a shame that the Eisenmann didn't work out as far as sound levels. Though people bash the Akrapovic I still think for me personally it's the way I'm going to go.

The M6 wheel doesn't fit my style taste as I personally think it matches the M6's styling better but to each his own. It can be a M5/6 cross-breed.

Happy tuning!
star21 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star21 View Post
wdimagineer - Great list of mods. I think you'd be the Euro equivalent of a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) fiend!

Did the Seibon rear diffuser not work out? Some of the Seibon products look similar to the Manhart products for reasons let's not go in to but is the fitment spot on compared to the Seibon piece? I'd prefer to hear opinions from an actual owner and not a vendor.

It's a shame that the Eisenmann didn't work out as far as sound levels. Though people bash the Akrapovic I still think for me personally it's the way I'm going to go.

The M6 wheel doesn't fit my style taste as I personally think it matches the M6's styling better but to each his own. It can be a M5/6 cross-breed.

Happy tuning!
The Seibon fitment was very poor. I haven't received the Manhart piece yet out of Germany but I'll take some pictures once in. Fitment is supposed to be significantly better.

I am very impressed with the Akrapovic overall. The build quality, sound, and fitment are top notch. The Eisenmann was a great exhaust but too much noise for a daily driver.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #34
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,534
iTrader: (0)

damn!! so much quality! euro ftw
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,178
iTrader: (2)

love that M6 steering wheel. BMW should have made it standard on the M5 from the beginning.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #36
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
love that M6 steering wheel. BMW should have made it standard on the M5 from the beginning.
Starting July 2013, it will be. I'm just a little ahead of the game.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #37
ThisFlyGuy
///M enthusiast
 
ThisFlyGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)

car looks great. i know you mentioned the E.Race was a bit loud for daily driver, but do you think the E.Sport would have also been a good alternate? I'm trying to look for something quieter as well
ThisFlyGuy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
Niko1414
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 M6 - 2014 M6GC - 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 577
iTrader: (0)

Looks great and well done.
Niko1414 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #39
Joshhleee
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328 jet black/coral sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Socal

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

beauty.
Joshhleee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy View Post
car looks great. i know you mentioned the E.Race was a bit loud for daily driver, but do you think the E.Sport would have also been a good alternate? I'm trying to look for something quieter as well
I've never heard the Sport exhaust in person, but it should be quieter. It keeps the vacuum-assisted exhaust flap and is supposed to be far less intense.

I was impressed with Eisenmann's build quality and I would recommend it, but see if you can hear it first (and in person - not YouTube).
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #41
turbologist
Emperor
 
turbologist's Avatar
 
Drives: Range Rover SC
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NoVA

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Given the amount of research and homework I've put in to this I'm not going to share anything for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal
forum is for sharing... if you are not willing to share ideas, then why show off your car!!!



fail..!!!
Werd...
turbologist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #42
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Given the amount of research and homework I've put in to this I'm not going to share anything for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal
forum is for sharing... if you are not willing to share ideas, then why show off your car!!!



fail..!!!
Werd...
Whatever. With most of my cars I've been first to do mods like this. And I always end up getting copied. My apologies if I want to enjoy this for a bit prior to others doing the same thing. Not only has this been hours of work but I've also spent money for access to things like TIS, etc.

I'm happy to share in the future once I know others can successfully complete it. Right now that's not possible.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #43
eNCore
///M 5light
 
eNCore's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, 626

Posts: 433
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Starting July 2013, it will be. I'm just a little ahead of the game.
Where you get this info? Is it confirmed?
__________________
13 MCB ///M5

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
eNCore is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #44
wdimagineer
Captain
 
wdimagineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNCore
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Starting July 2013, it will be. I'm just a little ahead of the game.
Where you get this info? Is it confirmed?
Straight from BMW M GmbH.
__________________
Current: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport Alpine White/Mocha - M Performance, Euro Tail Lights, Traffic Jam Assist, 6WB, and more...
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
wdimagineer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST