M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
dkreidel
Second Lieutenant
 
dkreidel's Avatar
 
Drives: a lot of BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Montana

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

6 MT test drive

I had the opportunity to do an extended test drive yesterday of a M5 with 6-speed manual. I had placed an order last year for a M5 to replace my '12 650 vert (6MT) but decided I really like the F12 vert platform and elected to wait until the M6 verts were available with 6MT. BMW surprised me with an early production start of '14s so the time is NOW to firm the order for the M6. I really wanted to drive a 6MT M5, however, before placing the order because I had read mixed reviews of the MT.

First, the M5 is a really great car! An hour in the car made me a true believer - best M5 since my much loved 2003 E39 M5! Perfect balance, great sounding engine, comfortable and with the M1/M2 buttons very configureable. I expected the HUD to be like the HUD in my '13 X5M or the '12 650 vert but it's twice the width and much, much nicer.

The clutch is indeed different than any other of my BMW's; it's more like the clutch in my 997 TT in that it's quite light but has a very short engagement. It took me a mile or two to get used to the M5 but in a few minutes it felt quite natural. The pedals are in the perfect location for heel and toe shifting. I think the shifter is just about right and probably wouldn't want a shorter throw (and resulting higher effort)

It's too bad BMW didn't tune the exhaust on the X5M to sound like the M5 - you guys really have a great car

I'm waiting to see if BMW will approve M6 paint in Montreal Blue (96-97 color) with the Amaro Brown Ind leather.

dk
__________________
2013 X5M Carbon Black+Black BBS SV
2011 Z4 Mojave+Beige 6MT Munich delivery 9/11
dkreidel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
MSPORTWORLD
Major
 
MSPORTWORLD's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Nice review...congrats on the M6.

May I offer my compliments on your impressive stable of BMWs.
__________________
MSPORTWORLD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
 
ONEOF40 FS M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I had the opportunity to do an extended test drive yesterday of a M5 with 6-speed manual. I had placed an order last year for a M5 to replace my '12 650 vert (6MT) but decided I really like the F12 vert platform and elected to wait until the M6 verts were available with 6MT. BMW surprised me with an early production start of '14s so the time is NOW to firm the order for the M6. I really wanted to drive a 6MT M5, however, before placing the order because I had read mixed reviews of the MT.

First, the M5 is a really great car! An hour in the car made me a true believer - best M5 since my much loved 2003 E39 M5! Perfect balance, great sounding engine, comfortable and with the M1/M2 buttons very configureable. I expected the HUD to be like the HUD in my '13 X5M or the '12 650 vert but it's twice the width and much, much nicer.

The clutch is indeed different than any other of my BMW's; it's more like the clutch in my 997 TT in that it's quite light but has a very short engagement. It took me a mile or two to get used to the M5 but in a few minutes it felt quite natural. The pedals are in the perfect location for heel and toe shifting. I think the shifter is just about right and probably wouldn't want a shorter throw (and resulting higher effort)

It's too bad BMW didn't tune the exhaust on the X5M to sound like the M5 - you guys really have a great car

I'm waiting to see if BMW will approve M6 paint in Montreal Blue (96-97 color) with the Amaro Brown Ind leather.

dk
6MT is the way to go IMO...

I just did ED three weeks ago F10 M5 6MT, the car should be here in another three weeks...I agree 100% with your comments about the 6MT as a previous owner of the e39 M5and the e60 M5 here are my initial thoughts on the car including a bit about the 6MT....http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797393

__________________
__________________
CURRENT RIDES - 14 991 C2S 7MT/ 12 FROZEN SILVER E92 M3 / 03 GPW S2K AP1

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT

Last edited by ONEOF40 FS M3; 02-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
ONEOF40 FS M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
dkreidel
Second Lieutenant
 
dkreidel's Avatar
 
Drives: a lot of BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Montana

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPORTWORLD View Post
Nice review...congrats on the M6.

May I offer my compliments on your impressive stable of BMWs.
Thank you We intend to take the M6 through Ireland, Scotland and finally through the Loire Valley on a 35-40 day Euro Delivery this summer...and hit as many distilleries as possible while in Scotland, especially the Islay's. This will be ED #16 (#13 with BMW) so we've torn up the autobahn quite a bit in the past

dk
__________________
2013 X5M Carbon Black+Black BBS SV
2011 Z4 Mojave+Beige 6MT Munich delivery 9/11
dkreidel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: R8GT,F10M5,CayenneS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,616
iTrader: (0)

Glad you enjoyed the MT - its an awesome transmission and unlike the e60, I felt like they put a lot of thought and engineering muscle behind it. On a side note I have heard through my dealership that the M6 (2014) will actually get the upgraded 7 speed (yes seven) manual. Looking forward to your review of the car - congrats!
__________________
R8GT Spyder (128/333) / M6 '14 / Cayenne S '12 (Baby mobile )
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
MSPORTWORLD
Major
 
MSPORTWORLD's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Thank you We intend to take the M6 through Ireland, Scotland and finally through the Loire Valley on a 35-40 day Euro Delivery this summer...and hit as many distilleries as possible while in Scotland, especially the Islay's. This will be ED #16 (#13 with BMW) so we've torn up the autobahn quite a bit in the past

dk
Sounds like you've got an outstanding trip planned.

13 BMW EDs...impressive. Sounds like I've got some catching up to do haha.
__________________
MSPORTWORLD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
dkreidel
Second Lieutenant
 
dkreidel's Avatar
 
Drives: a lot of BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Montana

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
On a side note I have heard through my dealership that the M6 (2014) will actually get the upgraded 7 speed (yes seven) manual.
Yes, I'd heard the same rumor but will be equally happy with a 6-speed. I've driven a C2S with 7-speed manual, and that engine is definitely enhanced with the bonus gear. I'm not sure BMW adding the 7th cog isn't more from a "keeping up with the Jonse's" than performance enhancement since the turbo M5/6 's torque curve is pretty flat.
__________________
2013 X5M Carbon Black+Black BBS SV
2011 Z4 Mojave+Beige 6MT Munich delivery 9/11
dkreidel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
uhn2000
Big K...
 
uhn2000's Avatar
 
Drives: R8GT,F10M5,CayenneS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,616
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Yes, I'd heard the same rumor but will be equally happy with a 6-speed. I've driven a C2S with 7-speed manual, and that engine is definitely enhanced with the bonus gear. I'm not sure BMW adding the 7th cog isn't more from a "keeping up with the Jonse's" than performance enhancement since the turbo M5/6 's torque curve is pretty flat.
Curious to know why you went with the M6 over the C2S. I am extremely torn - I orginally wanted an M6 but because of the transmission I went with the M5. Now that I have taken the hit on the M5 I am thinking of keeping it and adding a C2S or... just do the trade in for the M6 because my garage spots are really limited.
__________________
R8GT Spyder (128/333) / M6 '14 / Cayenne S '12 (Baby mobile )
uhn2000 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
dkreidel
Second Lieutenant
 
dkreidel's Avatar
 
Drives: a lot of BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Montana

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Curious to know why you went with the M6 over the C2S. I am extremely torn - I orginally wanted an M6 but because of the transmission I went with the M5. Now that I have taken the hit on the M5 I am thinking of keeping it and adding a C2S or... just do the trade in for the M6 because my garage spots are really limited.
I'm probably much, much older than most of you I sold my 997 TT with Tubi exhaust, GIAC chip and HRE's not because I didn't like tear-assing around in the car but it's becoming more difficult for me to get into (and especially) out of low slung P cars, my nephew's Noble and such. The M6 is "comfy" but still goes like stink.

Don't laugh; someday you'll be "older" too
__________________
2013 X5M Carbon Black+Black BBS SV
2011 Z4 Mojave+Beige 6MT Munich delivery 9/11

Last edited by dkreidel; 02-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
dkreidel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Used2be
Perennial PFC
 
Used2be's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 SpaceGray/SO
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan, USA

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
i'm probably much, much older than most of you Don't laugh; someday you'll be "older" too
Good for you, old timer! This is my first four door in decades, and that's because my contemporaries started hating to contort themselves getting in and out of two door coupes. Plus, as you say, it goes like stink, and that makes the sedate four door look just fine with me.
Used2be is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST