M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
eleven11
Captain
eleven11's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
842
Posts

Drives: -F10 M5 ZCP-
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby City

iTrader: (0)

Opticoat Upon Delivery - Travel Question

I'm planning on having Eric at Tru Shine (Knoxville, TN) prep and install Opticoat immediately after I take delivery of my 2014 M5. Unfortunately, its a 230 mile drive. He recommends that I ask for the dealer to not prep or wash the car. This is a lease, so no clear bra, etc.

I'm seeking opinions about protecting the car during this initial drive. At a minimum, I'll probably do fairly heavy painters/masking tape. Alternatively, renting a trailer. I appreciate any input.
__________________

2014 M5 ZCP - Current
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
192
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm planning on having Eric at Tru Shine (Knoxville, TN) prep and install Opticoat immediately after I take delivery of my 2014 M5. Unfortunately, its a 230 mile drive. He recommends that I ask for the dealer to not prep or wash the car. This is a lease, so no clear bra, etc.

I'm seeking opinions about protecting the car during this initial drive. At a minimum, I'll probably do fairly heavy painters/masking tape. Alternatively, renting a trailer. I appreciate any input.
If you're not doing clear bra then I don't see what difference it makes. Your car will get chipped, and chips don't interfere with the detail and Opticoat job.

If you were doing clearbra it would be a different situation.
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4MATIC
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
eleven11
Captain
eleven11's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
842
Posts

Drives: -F10 M5 ZCP-
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If you're not doing clear bra then I don't see what difference it makes. Your car will get chipped, and chips don't interfere with the detail and Opticoat job.

If you were doing clearbra it would be a different situation.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm thinking more of the sub-chip level of surface injury. Like minor scratches from smaller pebbles, etc. I suppose the prep correction will handle those, but I'm thinking the fewer, the better.
__________________

2014 M5 ZCP - Current
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
192
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm thinking more of the sub-chip level of surface injury. Like minor scratches from smaller pebbles, etc. I suppose the prep correction will handle those, but I'm thinking the fewer, the better.
The Detail should capture those. If anything just keep distance from other cars.
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4MATIC
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.




m5post
m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST