M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
shahano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 bmw M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lebanon

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Upgraded intercooler

My car heats up alot when it is driven hard. Sometimes it writes, oil temperature too high, please drive slowly, it turns the car automaticall to D1.
I was wondering if there was an upgraded intercooler for this.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
shahano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Although this hasn't happen to me, have you checked to make sure your oil cooler is clean and free of bugs/debris? Also what weight of oil are ya running?
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
m6beast
Private First Class
 
m6beast's Avatar
 
Drives: stock m6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nc

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
My car heats up alot when it is driven hard. Sometimes it writes, oil temperature too high, please drive slowly, it turns the car automaticall to D1.
I was wondering if there was an upgraded intercooler for this.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
Do you still have cats or catless?
m6beast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
shahano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 bmw M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lebanon

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Car is completely stock. If I am not mistaken, the oil which I get from the bmw dealership is 0W40. It gets pretty warm in the summer (30 degrees C) and I drive very hard. Also, The car is mostly driven on mountains which might also be another cause (uphills)
shahano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Sometime when I wash the car and let water run through the inter coolers & oil cooler I get a lot of bugs out of there. I am not hard with the spray just soak it down good and let water flow through it. There is a thermostat on the oil cooler that should be opening and may have failed but no one else has reported this.. I too have driven the car hard on 30-35C+ days pretty damn hard and never had an overheat. Check for plastic bag/debris on bottom of oil cooler. The oil cooler is the one that runs parallel to the ground on the bottom of the center opening in the front bumper.
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
shahano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 bmw M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lebanon

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

The car is cleaned every week and detailed every couple of months. I don't believe that this is the issue. The tarmac here in leb is very soft, so the wheels keep spinning, and it is an uphill.. That also might be a reason.. Any way to upgrade the oil cooler?
shahano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

That wouldn't be an easy proposition to upgrade the oil cooler within the space constraints. Washing the exterior of the car is not going to keep bugs and crap from hitting the underside of the oil cooler. Think of it as a radiator that is 4 inches above the ground with no real guard on it. If you look under your front bumper you will see it there. Just have a look should be a dull grey painted color. These cars are pushed hard in the southern USA and west coast and are not overheating in this manner. There must be a mechanical/physical problem present.
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Check out this blog entry to see what I am talking about. http://m5carblog.blogspot.ca/2013/02...brication.html < Normal car washing would not clean this if it has debris on it.
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
shahano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 bmw M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lebanon

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
That wouldn't be an easy proposition to upgrade the oil cooler within the space constraints. Washing the exterior of the car is not going to keep bugs and crap from hitting the underside of the oil cooler. Think of it as a radiator that is 4 inches above the ground with no real guard on it. If you look under your front bumper you will see it there. Just have a look should be a dull grey painted color. These cars are pushed hard in the southern USA and west coast and are not overheating in this manner. There must be a mechanical/physical problem present.
I will double check this... The cars here are driven much harder than in California though. With no real road rules, and lots lots of mountain roads, cars here go through a tough life. I have been through 11 sets of tires in about 26,000 miles.
shahano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
I will double check this... The cars here are driven much harder than in California though. With no real road rules, and lots lots of mountain roads, cars here go through a tough life. I have been through 11 sets of tires in about 26,000 miles.
Damn! You could by a small car for the price of the tires alone! Have you been taking drifting lessons from Jeremy Clarkson?
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
m6beast
Private First Class
 
m6beast's Avatar
 
Drives: stock m6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nc

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
Damn! You could by a small car for the price of the tires alone! Have you been taking drifting lessons from Jeremy Clarkson?
Lol!!!! Sounds like me! I think your biggest problem is having the cats on the car which will heat soak the car very fast especially always driving it hard. Get rid of the cats and see if it helps. It's a turbo car so the oil is gonna get a lot hotter than your naturally aspirated motor. I drive mine pretty hard wih extra boost and never had that issue but then again I drive it in spurts not the whole time.

I guess if I take it to a road course that will probably be comparable to the way you're driving lol.
Well good luck hope you get it resolved.
m6beast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
EuroKar
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
My car heats up alot when it is driven hard. Sometimes it writes, oil temperature too high, please drive slowly, it turns the car automaticall to D1.
I was wondering if there was an upgraded intercooler for this.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
It would be nice to be able to watch some operating values when this happens to you.
How many miles do you have on the engine ?
EuroKar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County

Posts: 2,138
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
Sometime when I wash the car and let water run through the inter coolers & oil cooler I get a lot of bugs out of there. I am not hard with the spray just soak it down good and let water flow through it. There is a thermostat on the oil cooler that should be opening and may have failed but no one else has reported this.. I too have driven the car hard on 30-35C+ days pretty damn hard and never had an overheat. Check for plastic bag/debris on bottom of oil cooler. The oil cooler is the one that runs parallel to the ground on the bottom of the center opening in the front bumper.

How do run water through the intercoolers if we have water to air IC's?
__________________
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph

Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
greentrbo95gst is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major
 
M6-Coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Irvine, Ca

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Car is completely stock. If I am not mistaken, the oil which I get from the bmw dealership is 0W40. It gets pretty warm in the summer (30 degrees C) and I drive very hard. Also, The car is mostly driven on mountains which might also be another cause (uphills)
Just for my curiosity how often you add oil?
What temperature your oil gage shows normally?
__________________
M6-Coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #15
Andym3100k
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
How do run water through the intercoolers if we have water to air IC's?
I think he mean by other cooler which there are a few more around the bumper side not the water to air intercooler.
__________________
2014 S63TU M6 GRAN COUPE (Register 6/6/2014)
FULL HAMANN WIDEBODY
JB3 S1 7.5psi(VP109) w K&N, 6psi on 93fuel
SNOW S3 METH
STOCK DP Decat, stock mid & bk
Andym3100k is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #16
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County

Posts: 2,138
iTrader: (1)

I was under the impression that the discussion was around heat soak and intercoolers.
greentrbo95gst is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #17
Netwon
Private First Class
 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
How do run water through the intercoolers if we have water to air IC's?
I am referring to cleaning bugs and crap out of the air side of the inter-coolers. I just use a garden hose no crazy pressure. No the OP was talking about overheating. If the I/C and O/C are flowing freely (on both sides) the car shouldn't be overheating if you are moving at speed getting lots of air through them.
Netwon is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
shahano
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 bmw M5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lebanon

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
Lol!!!! Sounds like me! I think your biggest problem is having the cats on the car which will heat soak the car very fast especially always driving it hard. Get rid of the cats and see if it helps. It's a turbo car so the oil is gonna get a lot hotter than your naturally aspirated motor. I drive mine pretty hard wih extra boost and never had that issue but then again I drive it in spurts not the whole time.

I guess if I take it to a road course that will probably be comparable to the way you're driving lol.
Well good luck hope you get it resolved.
I would love to get rid of it to get more power, but I still got a warranty so I am worried that it would void the warranty. Is there any other oil that could be used to keep it cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
It would be nice to be able to watch some operating values when this happens to you.
How many miles do you have on the engine ?
I have abou 26,000 miles on my engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Just for my curiosity how often you add oil?
What temperature your oil gage shows normally?
I add a quart of oil every 600-800 miles. i have a quart in my trunk at all times. Never drive it hard while warming up. once the oil reaches the quarter mark, then I start driving hard. During a hot early morning Sunday ride, it will go over 120 degrees C relatively quickly, and then I try and cool it down for a while, the fact that I am spinning wheels alot might be a cause as well.
shahano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Timberwolf
Lieutenant
 
Timberwolf's Avatar
 
Drives: People crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location

Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
How do run water through the intercoolers if we have water to air IC's?
I think he means cleaning the heat exchanger not the intercooler.
__________________
MCB 13 M5
07 997 TT - Gone
11 Corvette Z06 - Gone
07 Shelby GT500 - Gone
06 Z06 - Gone
Timberwolf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST