M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC

Drives: F10 M5 SpaceGray/SO

Black roof on Space Gray

Just got the roof painted as others have done and I love the look. Have some pictures of the process, and then of the results. Didn't have good sunshine for the result pictures but you can get the idea. I like how the black side rails blend in with the black of the windshield, and that gives more contrast to the curve of the body color around the tinted windows. I think the darker roof takes some of the visual mass of the car away, and adds a little distinction to a regular 4 door sedan.

This shop took out the sunroof to get the paint under the rubber effectively, but didn't have to deal with the headliner since the antenna cover just pops off from the outside. Front and rear windscreens stayed in and weren't removed.
Attached Images

Used2be is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

You paint the roof to create a fake glass roof effect, before you even bother to remove those hideous orange reflectors. Interesting priorities.

I hate fake effects on cars. You'd be better off buying an actual carbon fiber roof, so the difference in appearance is justified by the weight savings. Painting it black is just vain. Next thing men will be wearing make-up.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
hsiaochinsan
中華民國大總統

Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
Nice effort and job well done.

I think this is personal preference and it does look nice and will make the car looks lower from different angles.
      04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
chudak18
Captain

Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You paint the roof to create a fake glass roof effect, before you even bother to remove those hideous orange reflectors. Interesting priorities.

I hate fake effects on cars. You'd be better off buying an actual carbon fiber roof, so the difference in appearance is justified by the weight savings. Painting it black is just vain. Next thing men will be wearing make-up.

You're probably the only guy in the US and northern Europe that doesn't have a contrast black roof. Lol. Its called style, some people like being in with the popular crowd... Others prefer to be plain Jane. No need for bashing. It looks really good. And why would you spend $4000 on a carbon roof, lose your sunroof and lose 50lbs only to never track your car. Not that these cars can't stand to lose a few pounds but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.
chudak18 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
You're probably the only guy in the US and northern Europe that doesn't have a contrast black roof. Lol. Its called style, some people like being in with the popular crowd... Others prefer to be plain Jane. No need for bashing. It looks really good. And why would you spend $4000 on a carbon roof, lose your sunroof and lose 50lbs only to never track your car. Not that these cars can't stand to lose a few pounds but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.
Yeah my facepalm was more because he went to paint shop and did the roof (which arguably didn't need painting), and didn't bother with the reflectors (which did).

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC

Quote:

My intentions were not to create a fake effect but to provide a visual effect that is more pleasing to my eye. Had no thought of a glass roof, or a carbon fiber roof, but if you wish to think of those when you see a car with a black roof, that is certainly your prerogative. One benefit from the black color that I hadn't foreseen was that the sunroof now blends in and almost disappears when it's closed. I'm sure many people think just buying any model of BMW is vanity, much less the M5. Oh, and oddly enough I'm kind of beginning to like the contrast of the orange reflectors in the front with the Space Gray color, but may have the rear red reflectors removed and fill in the body panel so it's flush rather than use IND's replacements.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
emmfiv3
First Lieutenant

Drives: whenever I can.

I like the roof. Are these pictures recent? It looks like fall leaf drop in the background.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Used2be
Perennial PFC

The shop pictures are from last Thursday, and the finished pictures are from this morning, just before it starting SNOWING again! Not a usual, or pleasant Spring here in Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Bokke
Captain

Drives: E90 M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Love the look! I am thinking of doing the same....
13 F10 ///M5 SO | Black | Modded
15 F82 ///M4 SS | SO | CCB's | Loaded
Bokke is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
hawaiiracer1
Private

Drives: 2013 M5

I didnt go the painted look only because the dealership dinged me on a trade in for painting the roof so I went the wrapped look on all my trims and it looks good .but in all you got a car that rocks and everyone envy's. .....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Quote:

Each to their own, if he likes it < GREAT.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
LACSTER
Major General

Drives: Hybrid

Looks very good OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
DrKevM5
Captain

Drives: F10 M5 AW 6MT

Looks great. Screw others opinions. If you like it, that's all that matters.
'08 e90 M3, Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige, 6MT,GONE
'13 M5 Alpine White/Black Merino, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Straight Dave
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

I must say compared to the m3 forum the bashing on here is much more civilized.... OP looks badass I'm gonna do the same but I'm going with a wrap
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Bimmer6
Major

Drives: 991 GT3/F10 M5

Quote:

It's his freaking car if he wanted to paint it pink why be judge and jury. Duh he likes his sun roof easy choice IMO. Don't be so rough on the guy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
NlckyBlack
Captain

Drives: Too many cars

Why wouldn't you just wrap it than paint it.
      04-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Warehouser
Private

Drives: 13 F10 M5 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
Why wouldn't you just wrap it than paint it.
Had mine wrapped 2 times, both times came out looking like crap. With gloss black it showed every imperfection from small bumps to stretch marks. I had my roof painted gloss black (also did the mouldings) and love the contrast.
Warehouser is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
mainly
Lieutenant

Drives: 991 GT3, CLS63(coming) M5-sold

you cant even really tell by the pics that its a different color. try to photograph it without all the reflections.

as far as the sunroof goes. id definitely have paid to NOT have it.

the most useless feature ever. especially on an ///M car!!!
mainly is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde

Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
looks beautiful...

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Arcoril
Private

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000

Quote:

Brief summary of your post:

Keep hating, folks.

OP: I personally wouldn't get my roof painted, but I think it doesn't look bad on yours. Enjoy your car and drive it in good health.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
wisesoul
Savoir Faire

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:

His car, his style. Nothing wrong with variety. As for the reflectors being "hideous" I quite like them. Again, comes down to taste. I might as well bash someone buying painted reflectors instead of having them molded in to create the fake "clean" effect.
wisesoul is offline   Philippines
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
(H)
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 M5

Thumbs up Wow, Used2Be - Looks phenomenal

Used2be This is really a great "detail". Spacegray was my absolute favorite (wanted it with Silverstone II extended interior) but then simply wasn't patient enough to wait and went with an inventory Singapore Grey with black interior. Now seeing you car with the black grill and the black ind fender details almost makes me regret that. I think the black roof looks super sharp.
Don't mind undifferenetiated commenst about relectors and things. Nate at IND had smartly sold me the reflector replacements too and after putting them in, I actually decided to put the reflectors back in. I now think that adding some "street" detail helps bring out the mod details.
And of course I am a sucker for your 19" wheels. I really prefer them over the 20inchers. Can't help it.
So again, congrats on a great job!

(H)

Name:  M5-1s.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  245.1 KB
(H) is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0