M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
Charlie Brown's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Best 60'

Reflecting on my first track outing with the F10 M5, I am wondering;

What's the best 60' we can get out our cars with the stock Michelin PS2s?
What's the best 60' anyone has achieved and how?
What street-legal track-tire are people considering for better grip (acceleration and/cornering)?

I appreciate all perspectives. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
217
Rep
5,577
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Reflecting on my first track outing with the F10 M5, I am wondering;

What's the best 60' we can get out our cars with the stock Michelin PS2s?
What's the best 60' anyone has achieved and how?
What street-legal track-tire are people considering for better grip (acceleration and/cornering)?

I appreciate all perspectives. Thanks!
I think yours is the best 60' I've ever heard of.

You may get better launch traction from Pirelli Zero Corsa or Bridgestone RE070 in 305s on the rear. However you will lose wet traction.
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4MATIC
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
GhanemMBN's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
16
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi

iTrader: (0)

Pirelli Corsa is the BEST! For street & Track, not on the drag strip...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
217
Rep
5,577
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhanemMBN
Pirelli Corsa is the BEST! For street & Track, not on the drag strip...
Perhaps if you live in a dessert. In a tropical climate you will die in the torrential rain. Certainly nobody from Florida should use the Pirelli Corsa on the street.
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4MATIC

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 05-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
bm5bullit
Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Hoosier. But you may start breaking other driveline parts.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, MSR CAI
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Northern X5M
Captain
Northern X5M's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have been thinking of ordering a set of Nitto NT05R or NT555R. Thoughts of half shafts breaking are playing in my head.

I can't see getting much better than mid to high 1.9's with street tires. Drag radials you are going to see 1.6's.
__________________
2014 ///M5 CP Tanzanite Blue/Cohiba - 11.15 @ 128.8 & 1.84 60' (2150' DA) - BPM Tune - MSR Intake - SSP DCT - SS DPs & HFC Mid Pipes - E Race Muffs - 19" MT DRs

Last edited by Northern X5M; 05-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
GhanemMBN's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
16
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Perhaps if you live in a dessert. In a tropical climate you will die in the torrential rain. Certainly nobody from Florida should use the Pirelli Corsa on the street.
Name:  abudhabi_corniche2_5.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  66.1 KB

Not in a desert

Name:  tr.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  17.2 KB

We're use to torrential rain, every winter

The SR-R M5 got 3.8 without corsa tires, and 3.6 after installing the Pirelli corsas .

__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
217
Rep
5,577
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhanemMBN
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Perhaps if you live in a dessert. In a tropical climate you will die in the torrential rain. Certainly nobody from Florida should use the Pirelli Corsa on the street.
Attachment 863061

Not in a desert

Attachment 863065

We're use to torrential rain, every winter

The SR-R M5 got 3.8 without corsa tires, and 3.6 after installing the Pirelli corsas .

Same size rear tire or wider rear tire?
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4MATIC
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
GhanemMBN's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
16
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Same size rear tire or wider rear tire?
295/30/20
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
bm5bullit
Lieutenant
bm5bullit's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Your rear tire does not have to be the same aspect ration or rim size. A good percentage of guys, whether import or domestic, have found that going to an 18 inch wheel with the same overall diameter tire as the stock will yield a lot more (and maybe cheaper) tire choices.

I know that this was the case for my C6 ZO6 and my E60 M.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - her car
2013 M5, AW, black extended merino, AMS DP's, BEL Sti-R, Laser Blinder, RKT lip, MSR CAI
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, Daily Driver
2011 535i - (temp car) SOLD
2008 E60 M5 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Northern X5M
Captain
Northern X5M's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
Your rear tire does not have to be the same aspect ration or rim size. A good percentage of guys, whether import or domestic, have found that going to an 18 inch wheel with the same overall diameter tire as the stock will yield a lot more (and maybe cheaper) tire choices.

I know that this was the case for my C6 ZO6 and my E60 M.
True. But I don't think 18's are going to fit our cars.
__________________
2014 ///M5 CP Tanzanite Blue/Cohiba - 11.15 @ 128.8 & 1.84 60' (2150' DA) - BPM Tune - MSR Intake - SSP DCT - SS DPs & HFC Mid Pipes - E Race Muffs - 19" MT DRs
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
Charlie Brown's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M
I have been thinking of ordering a set of Nitto NT05R or NT555R. Thoughts of half shafts breaking are playing in my head.

I can't see getting much better than mid to high 1.9's with street tires. Drag radials you are going to see 1.6's.
Let us know if you decide to go with the Nittos and which ones. Even with drag radials, I don't think a1.6 is possible in this heavy beast. But I'd love to be proven wrong!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.




m5post
m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST