M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Peiper
Enlisted Member
Romania
6

 
Drives: 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucharest


Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

Poor quality of merino leather....

This the Champagne Merino leather after 1 and 1/2 years of usage. I used only leatherique cleaning products. I am having some difficulties in Romania to change the leather seats. They said that the BMW Germany don't want to change...
The leather is tearing apart and one stitch has gone out.
Any thoughts?
Attached Images
Attached Images
          
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
hsiaochinsan
中華民國大總統
Taiwan
63

 
hsiaochinsan's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area/Cupertino


Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
The leather qualify is actually very good;however, it really depends on how wellyou treated and used them. You can't expect a 20 years old lady to maintain perfect skin condition after working in a construction site or a place with harsh condition. I am sure there is a way to clean them but the scratches won't be fixed...

These pics made me think about the girls who got kidnapped in the movie, Taken...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Peiper
Enlisted Member
Romania
6

 
Drives: 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucharest


Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

I think you are wrong. The quality of the leather, including dye, is poor. I paid a lot and looks like shit. I cleaned regularly and today looks like this....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
7

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Weird. My 2009 335 leather looks better after 100k+ and I don't do anything special. The only stains are from when my passengers lose control of bodily functions.
How many km has this car seen?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Peiper
Enlisted Member
Romania
6

 
Drives: 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucharest


Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

43.000 km...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
43

 
Hunter5179's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago


Posts: 1,575
iTrader: (0)

That looks awful.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, VSE 003's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, KW V3, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, P3Cars Gauges, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.
My Thread:
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794659
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
h4nh
Captain
United_States
26

 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Wow that looks bad. Hmm mine seems fine. Black/ perforated leather. 13k miles now.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Boss330
Brigadier General
Norway
110

 
Boss330's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia


Posts: 3,648
iTrader: (0)

That looks terrible. It's allmost like they have been exposed to some sort of chemical treatment. Especially that red discouloration on the seat looks like it doesn't come from just wear.

Notice that from the pictures it seems to be only the drivers seat suffering damage? I would se a leather expert and ask their opinion on what could have caused this. That just doesn't look like it's normal wear. My guess is that, either there has been a major fault when dying the leather, or it has been exposed to some chemicals or similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
43

 
absix's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe


Posts: 1,283
iTrader: (10)

This is definitely not a normal wear and tear.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
singularity
Driver
49

 
singularity's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 (F10)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slovakia


Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

43,000 km in 1.5 year, you sure have been driving a lot and that leather damage is most likely due to you giving the car to random car washes who in turn have exposed it to chemicals. To compare and share my experience, my car is also 1.5 years old with 14,000 km on it and there is not a single scratch, literally in perfect condition. I always buy and use BMW's own cleaning products and use it on everything covered with leather in the interior at least once a week, at the same car wash where guys wash the car with a lot of care.

To compare, I noticed you drive 535i, not M5. Are you sure the quality of leather is the same? Maybe you'd get better replies and info from 5 series forum too.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
85

 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County


Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (1)

I am on my 8th bmw and even cars with close to 100k miles did not look like this.
I still have my 01 e46 and for a 12 yr old car the leather is great.
Yours looks like it was exposed to something bad.
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
RPiM5
Brigadier General
163

 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.


Posts: 4,661
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by absix View Post
This is definitely not a normal wear and tear.
^^^ This.
__________________
You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
RPiM5
Brigadier General
163

 
RPiM5's Avatar
 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.


Posts: 4,661
iTrader: (0)

OP, what kind of work do you do? And is your wife's name Bertha by chance?

That leather looks to be pretty F'd up. I'd take a guess that you work in the construction business and take your BMW to construction site everyday and get in and out of your car with dirty blue jean with your tool belt still on. I've had my F10 now for 16,000 miles and truth be told I haven't really cleaned the leather much and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up at the Welt in Munich with 1 mile on the car. I have dusted off my leather from time to time, but I haven't even used leather conditioner as 90% of the time I am the only one in the car and my M5 sits in the garage 90% of its life. As a pertinent and coincidental comparison, my neighbor actually happens to work in the construction business as a civil engineer. His car looks exactly the way yours does. Hmmmm....
__________________
You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
85

 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County


Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
OP, what kind of work do you do? And is your wife's name Bertha by chance?

That leather looks to be pretty F'd up. I'd take a guess that you work in the construction business and take your BMW to construction site everyday and get in and out of your car with dirty blue jean with your tool belt still on. I've had my F10 now for 16,000 miles and truth be told I haven't really cleaned the leather much and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up at the Welt in Munich with 1 mile on the car. I have dusted off my leather from time to time, but I haven't even used leather conditioner as 90% of the time I am the only one in the car and my M5 sits in the garage 90% of its life. As a pertinent and coincidental comparison, my neighbor actually happens to work in the construction business as a civil engineer. His car looks exactly the way yours does. Hmmmm....

I thought of it and you said it......
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Netwon
Private First Class
Canada
1

 
Netwon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Alberta


Posts: 189
iTrader: (0)

Fair enough post can it be moved to the proper section in the Forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
singularity
Driver
49

 
singularity's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 (F10)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slovakia


Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Having looked at your seats closely, I suspect they aren't even original BMW seats. Maybe the person you bought it from had sold the original seats for profit or due to damage, and bought a poor quality knockoff version instead? Or maybe you or previous owner bought some "used" seats from Germany taken off a drowned or flooded car?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
hsiaochinsan
中華民國大總統
Taiwan
63

 
hsiaochinsan's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' 911 C4S / 1999 E36 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area/Cupertino


Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via MSN to hsiaochinsan
It looks like standard sport seat with Mariano leather. And he has extended leather as well.

The car was just treated badly.

Awful !!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
27

 
M54ccibo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 AW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,437
iTrader: (0)

Damn. That does look pretty f'd up.

That said though, I have SO interior and in the winter wear jeans everyday. It stains fairly easily, and as such had to clean it pretty regularly (one a month). I have noticed, that on my drivers-side bolster the "piping" is starting to look a little worn. WAY more than my E60 M5 looked after 3 years. It is not as bad as what is shown in your second to last picture but if I was a betting man, I'd say it will in three years. To help prevent this, I am moving my seat back before getting out of the car and brushing against the bolster.
__________________
Current ///M: '13 F10 M5, Alpine Weiss III/Sakhir Orange Full
BBS FI, Akrapovič Evolution, CF Delete, H&R Sport Springs, iND Cosmetics, Color matched M-Performance Spoiler, V1 Hardwire, Coded
Follow the M5army on Facebook and Youtube
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
greentrbo95gst
Colonel
85

 
greentrbo95gst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County


Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Damn. That does look pretty f'd up.

That said though, I have SO interior and in the winter wear jeans everyday. It stains fairly easily, and as such had to clean it pretty regularly (one a month). I have noticed, that on my drivers-side bolster the "piping" is starting to look a little worn. WAY more than my E60 M5 looked after 3 years. It is not as bad as what is shown in your second to last picture but if I was a betting man, I'd say it will in three years. To help prevent this, I am moving my seat back before getting out of the car and brushing against the bolster.
So do you look like you are doing ballet dancing whne you are getting out of the car??
In regards to staining this is weird because our interior in the diesel is Saddle Brown and after almost 3 years did not have any staining issues.
__________________
Sponsored by www.dtmhaus.net
E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 SC'd, F15 Diesel
2013 M5 Azurite Black.....World's fastest 1/4 mile F10 M5 11.07@128.68mph 1/2 mile 160.7mph
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
m3m3m3
Private
1

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

This is exactly why I will always get black interior.

I've seen something like this once before, but not the peeling only the discoloration. And that was at the Welt in a M6 GC. White interior and the drivers seat was just gray color from all the people getting in and sitting in the car.

But the peeling part looks like some chemical burn or something...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
27

 
M54ccibo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 AW/SO
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
So do you look like you are doing ballet dancing whne you are getting out of the car??
In regards to staining this is weird because our interior in the diesel is Saddle Brown and after almost 3 years did not have any staining issues.
LOL...at first it was awkward. Down to a science now, don't hit the steering wheel or the bolster

I don't know, but the SO sure shows jean marks easily. I don't wear super dark jeans either.
__________________
Current ///M: '13 F10 M5, Alpine Weiss III/Sakhir Orange Full
BBS FI, Akrapovič Evolution, CF Delete, H&R Sport Springs, iND Cosmetics, Color matched M-Performance Spoiler, V1 Hardwire, Coded
Follow the M5army on Facebook and Youtube
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
United Kingdom
117

 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead


Posts: 4,830
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
43,000 km in 1.5 year, you sure have been driving a lot and that leather damage is most likely due to you giving the car to random car washes who in turn have exposed it to chemicals. To compare and share my experience, my car is also 1.5 years old with 14,000 km on it and there is not a single scratch, literally in perfect condition. I always buy and use BMW's own cleaning products and use it on everything covered with leather in the interior at least once a week, at the same car wash where guys wash the car with a lot of care.

To compare, I noticed you drive 535i, not M5. Are you sure the quality of leather is the same? Maybe you'd get better replies and info from 5 series forum too.
I agree. There is some abuse going on here. This wear is not normal. My seats have 8500 miles on them and look brand new - literally there is no difference between the seats now and when I got the car at the Welt.
__________________
2014 BMW ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST