|02-10-2016, 07:52 AM||#1|
Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Jan 2014
M performance installation using BETALink
I did plenty of research beforehand to choose between using 3m tape and Betalink and initially went for the 3M option due to ease of installation...I didnt really find any mention when using 3m tape with regards to the risk of theft but through personal experience - its very easy to remove a spoiler by hand which has been installed using 3m tape...
So for round 2 I went down the BETAlink option and wished I had done it in the first place..So here is my DIY, apologies I didnt take any pics but hopefully the below will help and I should mention it was much easier than i thought and did not need a second pair of hands
1) Purchase M performance spoiler and BETAlink K1 adhesive kit
2) Use sandpaper that comes with adhesive kit to roughen up all contact surfaces on the underside of the spoiler
3) then clean with BETAclean which comes with the adhesive kit..Also thorough clean the surface of the bootlid with isopropanol and betaclean solution
4) time for test fit on the car... Position the spoiler appropriately and mark all edges either with masking tape or a pen to mark out the exact poisition of the spoiler as you dont want to fiddle with it once the BETAlink is on the spoiler itself
5) next step is to put the nozzle supplied with the adhseive kit on top of BETAlink tube and secure with some form of tape to stop the nozzle popping off.
6) I previously bought some 20 ml syringers...Directly pour as much betalink into the syringe as possible from the original tube as using the syringe makes things a lot easier to control when applying the betalink directly to spoiler
7) Apply to spoiler using syringe - apply liberally across the spoiler in all contacts areas but try to stay away from edges to minimise any seeping out of the betalink once on the car....
8) USing the previously marked up positions, mount straight onto boot lid - secure immediately with a few strips of painters/masking tape to free up your hands - (I only needed to secure at the corners and a couple of strips in the middle)
9) then using the BETAclean, go all around the spoiler and clean off any betalink that has seeped out - do this as quickly as possible as you dont want it to harden too much
10) once you are happy you have cleaned off all of the excessive, do a final fitment check and then tape the entire spoiler to the bootlid so that it cant move whilst the betalink is curing.. - be liberal with the tape and make sure the spoiler cant move especially at the edges.
11) The next bit is waiting - it was cold when I installed my spoiler (5 degress C) so I knew the curing time would be effected... - The instructions on the BETAlink adhesive state that it can be applied from 5 degrees up to 40 however BMW does not recommend installing under 18 degrees C.. BETA link instructions state however that under 23 degrees C, you must allow 6 hours curing before driving off...Either way I played it safe..I didnt remove the tape until 12 hours later and then didnt drive the car until 24 hours later...
When grasping the spoiler it has a much more solid feel now compared to the 3M tape and is definately more secure. I know some people prefer to use 3m tape as it can be removed but it can also be removed by thieves even though it may be suitable for normal driving...The way I saw it is that I dont want this spoiler to be stolen again and I appreciate that if someone tries to steal it again they will prob damage the spoiler and bootlid in the process however im not likely to want to remove the spoiler from the car myself so I am happy that it is now permanently fixed
Hope the above helps and hopes to displace any fears about using BETAlink - it really wasnt difficult and can easily be done without having to pay a dealer to do so
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|